PDA

View Full Version : Brio Toxic, TX (Any one have the latest info?)

DeadMike
04-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Hello all!!
I am new to this site and love it!! I read info on here about this supposadlly haunted ghost town, Brio Toxic (neighborhood) dating from 2000. I also read recentally that the clean up of the area was completed in Nov. 2003. I just want to know what the status is of this site. How much was cleaned, and if you may still visit there today, or if it even exsist any more. I live VERY close to this location and would love to check it out if possible!! Thanks if any one knows please let me know! ~Mike~

old judge
04-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Mike: With a little work, mainly finding San Jacinto College (South) on a map, and then figuring out how to view aerial of area, you can see what this site looks like to some degree; that is you can see clearly where it is, and the area referred to on this site as bulldozed, and "the woods". A good site for coordinating those things is www.maps.google.com (http://www.maps.google.com/). Once you can Id on there, it will be simple on a better aerial site. OJ

CaliforniaKris
05-03-2005, 07:11 PM
wow, I was a student of SanJac Souths nursing program back in the 80s. Was it an old town called brio toxic?? Never heard of it on campus.

Rockcrusher
05-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Anything & everything you wanted to know about the Brio Refinery . . .

http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/permitting/remed/superfund/brioa.html

heathermm00
08-04-2006, 02:52 PM
They swear that it's all cleaned up and they are building new neighborhoods over the site. The neighborhood even had a school in it. The people that lived there had to leave pretty much everything in the houses. They have demolished it all except for a few street lights that are covered with vines. My cousin used to go and explore the abandoned homes. He said it was like the people had just dissapeared. They left everything. Tvs, clothes, beds everything.

joe black
08-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I grew up in this neighborhood from the ages of 3-6. I remember the neighborhood and school well. Our T-ball field I played on was built over one of the dump sites nearby, and foam looking toxic stuff would sometimes seep out of the field. When I was in first grade people in the neighborhood started to become sick. I remember some days there was a very strange smell in the air, a chemical smell. My mother was pregnant with my younger brother at this time, and he was born with significant birth defects due to chemicals that had leaked into the groundwater. The effects of these chemicals led to increased incidence of cancer in adults, and a much more dramatic effects on developing fetuses. When we moved we took all of our furniture, the toxins were in the water and sometimes the air supply, they didn't contaminate furniture or TV's as the previous poster stated. Brio was caught burning some of these chemicals at night without filtration which led to respiratory problems. Very ****ed up company that tried to deny culpability for a long time. To this day most research claims that there 'may have been' health issues. Trust me, Hundreds of people's lives were destroyed. My brother ended up dying from complications related to this at the age of 2. The executives that authorized these practices to save money should have all been imprisoned for life, instead they received a slap on the wrist. I still drive down there every few years to remember. I did see new subdivisions have been built up right around that area. After what happened, I think anyone living within 50 square miles of that site is an idiot. I highly doubt the government has cleaned the ground water of that area properly and completely, the lifespan of those toxins is thousands of years.

heavystrings13
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM
I grew up in this neighborhood and I always felt a strange presence. Maybe it was because I was a kid, who knows.I still often have nightmares about it and find myself wanting to go back and see if the tree me and my Dad planted is still there, although all the houses have been torn down it seems. I have a lot of memories there and it feels as they are locked in cell.

Chris
#### Southbrush St.
Southbend subdivision

UrbEx
12-24-2010, 08:16 PM
i live right behind it lol

and after what ive found in the woods im worried :P

rmclain
09-13-2012, 05:44 AM
This subdivision was originally called, "South Bend." It was a nice, new subdivision in the 1980's. I had several friends from the neighboring area called, "Sagemont" move into South Bend. I grew up in the 1970's and 80's in Sagemont.

There was a chemical plant of some sort (called "Brio") down the road at the interesection of Dixie Farm and Beamer road for years. This is how this "ghost town" got the name. The word about the toxic waste, from old memory, was someone at the plant was allowing chemicals and toxic waste to be dumped after hours in the land on the Brio chemical plant site.

I remember it may have been in the late 1980's, there were many health issues reported coming out of South Bend. I believe there were some stories in the local newspaper, "The South Belt Leader," which is still in publication. http://www.southbeltleader.com/

This finally received some attention when an investigation of the health problems uncovered the toxic waste dumping and the waste leaking into the ground water supply - which was the supply for South Belt. My area, just across the Beamer Road ditch, was not affected since we had already been switched over to the City of Houston water supply. Some sort-of settlement was made to families in the South Bend subdivision and they moved out.

Last time I was there was in 1994 and most of the houses were abandoned but still standing. This was convenient for me as I used the streets in front of the abandoned houses as runways for my model airplanes.