PDA

View Full Version : Lester, Washington

Ghostdancer
05-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Can anyone give me the directions to Lester, Washington?

Also, is there enough to make it worth the trip?

Tom

old judge
05-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Tom: www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com) and Mapquest. Answer to #2. Not a clue. OJ

Ghostdancer
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks Judge, I checked on Mapquest and then found it on a highway map I have for Washington. I've driven past that turnoff since I came in on I-90 on two of my prior trips to the Seattle area.

I'm visiting again next month and may want to check Lester out. I have a relative who lives in Bellevue.

Tom

Breazile
05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Tom,

Lester is pretty creepy. Just make sure you are there at the right time. I am originally from Washington. Born and Raised in Tacoma, so naturally I am pretty knowladgeable about it all. But like I said, make sure you are there at the right time.
Take care.

Ghostdancer
05-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Tom,

Lester is pretty creepy. Just make sure you are there at the right time. I am originally from Washington. Born and Raised in Tacoma, so naturally I am pretty knowladgeable about it all. But like I said, make sure you are there at the right time.
Take care.
How much of it is left? What is the right time?

Tom

old judge
05-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Tom: I think you found a troll. Mike

Fairlane500
05-23-2005, 02:58 PM
I believe there may still be a house or two left in Lester, along with some foundations. I believe the railroad through the town is currently active, and there is a landing strip just east of the town. Other than that, not much is left.

hikerrob
05-31-2005, 06:02 PM
before you go you might want to check with the seattle water department. i belive lester is in the seattle watershed and may be off limits.

Beverly
06-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Can anyone give me the directions to Lester, Washington?

Also, is there enough to make it worth the trip?

Tom
I have a little interesting info about Lester. Two of my aunts worked there over the years. One as a teacher in the late 1800's, the other a waitress in the Logging camp during the 1950's until the camp closed. Beautiful place, some mysteries too. Contact me for details if you wish.

Ghostdancer
06-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Ok, I went yesterday with my relatives whom I'm visiting in Bellevue to find Lester. We exited at exit 62 off I-90 and drove along the road and came to a sign that informed that no vehicle traffic was permitted west of Lester. Later we came to a yellow gate with a sign reading "Walk - in only; no bicycles".

There was a house to the right which appeared unused and another as you turn facing northeast which appeared to be occupied.

Is this Lester? if so, I thought I'd see railroad tracks, but didn't notice any.

It's a beautiful drive through that area. I return home today.

Tom

Vostok 7
09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Ok, I went yesterday with my relatives whom I'm visiting in Bellevue to find Lester. We exited at exit 62 off I-90 and drove along the road and came to a sign that informed that no vehicle traffic was permitted west of Lester. Later we came to a yellow gate with a sign reading "Walk - in only; no bicycles".

There was a house to the right which appeared unused and another as you turn facing northeast which appeared to be occupied.

Is this Lester? if so, I thought I'd see railroad tracks, but didn't notice any.

It's a beautiful drive through that area. I return home today.

Tom
Yes, you found Lester. Well, not Lester proper but that is the way to Lester.

I've been up there multiple times, never to the town itself (it used to be completely off limits, now they say walk ins only as you found). I'm planning on going as soon as I can. I live in Cle Elum, so it's easy :)

Patrick

snowlover
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
So what is the status of Lester? Can you only get there from Stampede pass? How far is it from the gate to the town.

I found this site while surfing for info on Lester. Thanks for any info.

Vostok 7
09-15-2005, 08:27 AM
So what is the status of Lester? Can you only get there from Stampede pass? How far is it from the gate to the town.

I found this site while surfing for info on Lester. Thanks for any info.
I believe there's a way to get there from Enumclaw but I don't know how as I've never been that way. The only way I know of is via Stampede Pass. I believe the road is FR 52 or 54.

As far as the status of Lester, I don't think there's much up there anymore, suppoedly just a few railroad buildings, and 2 houses outside of the gate. My father said that Lester is about 1/4 mile from the gate but possibly further (since you can't see it from the gate).

Patrick

Fairlane500
09-15-2005, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine said the other day that there is some stuff up there, including a few cars. I think he said there's a `56 Ford up at the town. I'm planning on going up there some day with my family, if we have the time.

Ghostdancer
10-12-2005, 05:46 AM
How far is it from the gate to the town?
Would like to know this myself; I did walk a ways and didn't see a sign of anything, but then again I didn't walk all the way down. Is Lester to the left or the right of this road? on both sides maybe? :confused:

Vostok 7
10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
From what I've seen on satellite imagry Lester is quite a ways from the gate. A few thousand feet from the gate the road makes a sweeping left and then goes for maybe about 1/2 of a mile. Then Lester is on both sides of the road.

My buddy and I are going up tomorrow to go into Lester and to find Hot Springs and Kennedy if we can. Maybe Weston as well if we have time.

Patrick

Ghostdancer
10-14-2005, 02:25 PM
From what I've seen on satellite imagry Lester is quite a ways from the gate. A few thousand feet from the gate the road makes a sweeping left and then goes for maybe about 1/2 of a mile. Then Lester is on both sides of the road.

My buddy and I are going up tomorrow to go into Lester and to find Hot Springs and Kennedy if we can. Maybe Weston as well if we have time.

Patrick
Weston, Hot Springs and Kennedy.

Let me know what you find. If worth it I'd like to see these the next time I visit.

Tom

JimL
10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
I happened to stumble on this forum when looking for the railroad history of Lester. Here's a link that you may find interesting:

http://www.geocities.com/lesterwa/index.html

If you click on "News" there is a story about a fire destroying the home of Lester's last elderly resident.

There are also photos of the original and new railroad depots, but I don't know what's left (other than maybe a sign) since the Northern Pacific discontinued passenger service on that route in 1971, IIRC.

Here's a topo map with Lester at the center that may be of some help.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5229290&e=614051&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

If anyone goes back there between now and next July, I'd appreciate some feedback about what's left. We were visiting Ellensburg and Roslyn back in March.
Wish I had known about all the railroad history in that area.

Jim in Highland, CA

Johnnie
10-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I happened to stumble on this forum when looking for the railroad history of Lester. Here's a link that you may find interesting:

If you click on "News" there is a story about a fire destroying the home of Lester's last elderly resident.

There are also photos of the original and new railroad depots, but I don't know what's left (other than maybe a sign) since the Northern Pacific discontinued passenger service on that route in 1971, IIRC.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5229290&e=614051&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

If anyone goes back there between now and next July, I'd appreciate some feedback about what's left. We were visiting Ellensburg and Roslyn back in March.

Jim in Highland, CA
Hello! Jim and Fellow ghostowners Jim, gave us the idea to post our view on old R/R history Most of us ghosttowners are interested in the old west history, atleast on this fourm and this includes old mining towns and the R/R that opened up the west to the Easterners.

We just posted some R/R trivia question on (suggestion forum) just for fun, but we also wanted to add. Is there any clubs that have formed among you R/R buffs that are interested in the old "Hand Cars" that the R/R workers used to repair the the tracks and stored in sheds, or on little side tracks beside the regular rails?

We lost track of a fellow in 1980s that was trying to start a club that was interested in traveling the old "Spures" that serviced the outskirts of these old mining and farming communitys, that the main line did not cover in the olden days. Our friend was buying up several of these old service cars but the one's he had bought had gasoline engines. We know you ghosttowners have seen these old "Hand Cars" in old westerns. And were put in motion by pushing down on the handle and this would make the wheels start to rotate. But now can be seen only in R/R museums but the gasolines are still out there to be found but are getting harder to find.

But wouldn't that be fun to travel these old "R/R Spurs," Or is these old "Spures" still out there to be explored? We thought it would be interesting to put that question out there for discussion.

From The Dest of
Johnnie & Sheila
Historians, Old West Researcher

Ghostdancer
10-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Jim in Highland, CA
Jim, that's a great site. I'll read more of it later. :cool:

Think I ought to combine a Lester trip with camping when I make my next visit though that may be awhile. Gee, has bigfoot been sighted there?

Tom

JimL
10-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Ghostdancer, glad the link was helpful.

Johnnie, I've seen one of the hand cars at the Orange Empire Railway museum here in SoCal.

Mainly my interest in railroads stems from nostalgia, and is focused on passenger trains in the streamlined era. I can remember traveling from Michigan to LA on the old Santa Fe Chief when I was about 12 years old.

Jim

JimL
10-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Further research led me to this article:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/lester.html

Then I realized that it's from this site!

Sure wish webpages got an automatic date/time stamp...not sure how old this info is.

Apparently the depot is no more. There may be a sign, though.

Jim

Fairlane500
10-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I came across some history about the depot while doing some reasearch a while ago. It said that some towns were looking into buying and moving the building, but all offers fell through, so the railroad just tore the building down. Another unfortuanate happening in the ghost town world.

Johnnie
10-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Ghostdancer, glad the link was helpful.

Johnnie, I've seen one of the hand cars at the Orange Empire Railway museum here in SoCal.

Mainly my interest in railroads stems from nostalgia, and is focused on passenger trains in the streamlined era. I can remember traveling from Michigan to LA on the old Santa Fe Chief when I was about 12 years old.

Jim
I too, remember rideing the the Super Cheif back in the 1950s back to Ohio to visit my dads family. What great memories! Something that is slowly disapearing from the American landscape. The last train ride the wife & i experience we were flying down the tracks on our way to Las Vegas in 1979. What a great time that was, We were in no hurry to loose "our" money in Vegas, It was great to relive that experience of looking out the dinner car window at all the scenery.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Ghostdancer
10-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Just wanted to ask. What other attractions are there in the area around Lester - hiking trails, caves, fishing spots, ect.?

I'm sure one must obtain a permit to camp. What is the cost?

Tom

Cletownhsstudent
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I live in a nearby town called Cle Elum and i heard that if you get your fishing license that there is pretty good fishing in the Green River and if you go in early in September there are huckleberrys

Ghostdancer
10-25-2005, 01:54 PM
I live in a nearby town called Cle Elum and i heard that if you get your fishing license that there is pretty good fishing in the Green River and if you go in early in September there are huckleberrys
I'll bet, but I would go camping and hiking.

JimL
11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Agreed, Johnnie. I asked my mother when we rode the Santa Fe (I think it was either the Chief or the El Capitan, since the Super Chief was an all-pullman train, IIRC) but she doesn't remember; I'd guess it was 1960.

It wasn't until the early 1990s that I would ride a train again; the Alaska RR from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Then in March of this year, my wife and I rode the Amtrak Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle. It was something that we'd do again, although it lacked the romance of the days when railroads were privately owned. That, and we were two hours late, since Amtrak is a tenant on the rails that they ride.

Jim

Vostok 7
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Weston, Hot Springs and Kennedy.

Let me know what you find. If worth it I'd like to see these the next time I visit.

Tom
It's been awhile since I've been on here but I have somewhat found some more out about these locations.

We never made it up there before the snow came, but come spring this is high on our list.

As far as history, Hot Springs is pretty straight forward. Hot Springs was the site of a sanatorium sometime in the late 1890s through possibly 1911. It was also the site of Harvey Dean's Mill (Dean's Lumber Co.) which was where Lester got it's original name and telegraph sign. Sometime between it's hayday in 1908 when Hot Springs is listed as having over 225 in population and 1914 when the population was listed as 65 with no businesses it's apparent that the sanatorium/station burned down. By 1918 the area of Hot Springs was listed simply as "Discontinued Post Office".

(A brief article I wrote about Hot Springs on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hot_Springs%2C_Washington&oldid=31218414 )

Weston on the other hand is a little more of an enigma. It was started around the same time as Lester, in the 1880s. By 1890 it suffered it's first blow, when the facilities were moved to Lester since it was down grade and easier to reach in the winter. The final blow came by 1914 when the line between Easton and Lester was double tracked and a trestle was built over the green river. The trestle still exists today. The big Weston Loop that was in the area, however, doesn't. I'm hoping to find evidence of everything since there was alot up there that just "vanished".

(A short article I wrote on Wikipedia about Weston is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Weston%2C_Washington&oldid=31221644 )

- Patrick

NW Explorer
12-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Tom,
I am new to the site as of today and saw your post. I found Lester on page 65 at C5 on the page from my Washington Atlas and Gazeteer that I use for my fishing and snooping explorations. Many of the Washington Ghost Towns I have seen on the site I have located in my Atlas. If you need one they can be found at most book stores, outdoor stores, and sporting goods locations. It is indespensible for all that I do in the back country. I also mark the roads I travel with a highliter so I can see where I have been.
Good Luck in your travels...
NW Explorer

Ghostdancer
01-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Tom,
I am new to the site as of today and saw your post. I found Lester on page 65 at C5 on the page from my Washington Atlas and Gazeteer that I use for my fishing and snooping explorations. Many of the Washington Ghost Towns I have seen on the site I have located in my Atlas. If you need one they can be found at most book stores, outdoor stores, and sporting goods locations. It is indespensible for all that I do in the back country. I also mark the roads I travel with a highliter so I can see where I have been.
Good Luck in your travels...
NW Explorer
Is this that topo map type atlas? I have one of these for Arizona.

I think I might have seen these at a Target store at the Factoria Mall in Bellevue when I was there in June.

Tom

ublion12
05-13-2006, 09:47 PM
What are the Mysteries of Lester?
Im looking for a metal detecting partner

bad bob
05-14-2006, 09:55 AM
I think the Lester Mysteries involve the disappearance of folks using metal detectors at certain sites. I could be wrong.
bb.

Ghostdancer
06-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Lester is located in which National Forest?

I'm thinking it's Wenatchee. I want to purchase the forest service map for the area and a topo.

Tom

NWNative
06-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Lester is in the Mt Baker Snoqualmie National Forest.

Ghostdancer
06-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I got in touch with one of the offices of the Snoqualmie National Forest. I was told that the buildings at Lester are pretty much gone except for a forest service station. The person with whom I spoke believed that the office is located in one of the old town buildings.

But I just might want to do the hike anyway since it is beautiful country.

Tom

2ManTreks
07-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Hello,

I've recently completed a feature on Lester, WA on my web site. It contains an introduction and a 54 picture slide show. Just visit http://www.2mantreks.com and visit the Feature and Theater pages.

All photographs of Lester were taken in July 2006. This will give you a strong idea of what the area looks like now. Enjoy!

Clint

Ghostdancer
07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Hello,

I've recently completed a feature on Lester, WA on my web site. It contains an introduction and a 54 picture slide show. Just visit http://www.2mantreks.com and visit the Feature and Theater pages.

All photographs of Lester were taken in July 2006. This will give you a strong idea of what the area looks like now. Enjoy!

Clint
Great site Clint! Such great photos! So all those buildings are in Lester except for numbers 17 and 56 at the yellow gate. I also took a photo of the one in #17. :cool:

It would appear as though a significant enough part of Lester remains to make the hike worthwhile. Now I'll definitely have to take that hike when I visit again next year. I'm going to send that link to my cousin in Bellevue.

Thanks for posting that. :)

Tom

2ManTreks
07-08-2006, 06:44 PM
You know that over 1000 people use to live in Lester? There were at least 110 houses, a hotel, a dry goods store, depot, tavern, a rather new public school and more. Sadly, what's left of Lester is exactly what I photographed and nothing more.

Instead, your imagination must take over. You need to close your eyes and just experience what must have taken place. I was fortunate enough to meet with about 30 survivors (past residences) of folks who lived in Lester in a special reunion held this last week and hosted by BNSF railroad retirees.

Next month, I plan on releasing a hard cover coffee table book called "Journey to Lester" which will be available on my web site and it will have a dedication to Matt Fioretti, one of the hard working men who was raised and worked in that town.

At 87, he still is with us today.

Ghostdancer
07-09-2006, 09:53 AM
You know that over 1000 people use to live in Lester? There were at least 110 houses, a hotel, a dry goods store, depot, tavern, a rather new public school and more. Sadly, what's left of Lester is exactly what I photographed and nothing more.

Instead, your imagination must take over. You need to close your eyes and just experience what must have taken place. I was fortunate enough to meet with about 30 survivors (past residences) of folks who lived in Lester in a special reunion held this last week and hosted by BNSF railroad retirees.

Next month, I plan on releasing a hard cover coffee table book called "Journey to Lester" which will be available on my web site and it will have a dedication to Matt Fioretti, one of the hard working men who was raised and worked in that town.

At 87, he still is with us today.

As I say, that's enough for me to want to make trip into there. I had an impression that there was less then that.

Perhaps I might even camp at one of the camp areas. I wonder what the fee is though.

Tom

Vostok 7
07-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Hello,

Clint
Excellent site!! I'm really impressed! I thought there was nothing there anymore. Did you go as far as where Hot Springs was? I've been wondering if anything is up there anymore.

We were just out there July 4th but didn't walk all the way out to Lester because of the weather. Looks like we're going to have to now!

- Patrick

2ManTreks
07-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Thank you-- I'm remodeling the site so you are welcome to visit and see the new look!

Clint

Vostok 7
07-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I noticed also that you beat me to adding the link to your site to my article in Wikipedia about Lester. Thanks!

- Patrick

Ghostdancer
07-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Question about the road going off the highway to Lester. I don't recall how much of it is paved if any.

Also, there's an airfield near Lester. Is it abandoned or still in use?

Tom

Vostok 7
07-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Question about the road going off the highway to Lester. I don't recall how much of it is paved if any.

Also, there's an airfield near Lester. Is it abandoned or still in use?

Tom

It's only paved about a mile right off I-90. The rest of the way up FR54 is all gravel. The road is in good shape though, but don't try it in the winter. Last time we were up there just last week someone was up there with their new Mustang and had had a little too much fun right into the ditch lol.

- Patrick

Fairlane500
07-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the info on what it's like up there.

Now I'm going to be sure to follow through with plans to hike int here with a couple of friends to see what we can see.

Though, one question. I had heard from someone that there are a few old cars sitting around up there, is this true?

2ManTreks
07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Yes, if you look carefully in the "neighborhood", you'll find one or more abandoned vehicles among the thick overgrowth.

One Old Timer
07-19-2006, 12:47 PM
My last trip to Lester in 1957 was during the summer and the Tavern was still operating at that time. The thing that tickled me was the empty beer cases stacked up against the side of the building. Th eplace was wide open then. We were looking for a downed airplane that had lots of money in it. Never did find it.

Vostok 7
07-31-2006, 09:48 AM
We walked in last weekend and yesterday too. Didn't make it quite to Lester proper either time but found some interesting stuff.

Yesterday we took the small side road that turns off just before the end of the airport. It parallels the main road for awhile and then turns off to go up to the power lines. If you keep going straight there's a very rutted muddy road where they seem to go in and out every now and then when its very muddy apparently. Walking down that way towards where the big Cat is parked currently I found what I believe to be the Lester "landfill". There was a ton of random junk dating from the 40s and 50s and 60s all over the place. Really would like to go back and see what I can find.

- Patrick

Ghostdancer
07-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Yesterday we took the small side road that turns off just before the end of the airport.

- Patrick

Getting back to an earlier question of mine - is this airfield still in use?

Tom

Vostok 7
08-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Getting back to an earlier question of mine - is this airfield still in use?

Tom
No. I know they used to use it as a ultralight landing and takeoff pad but the river washed most of it away now, it's kinda cut in half now. There's also no tower or anything there anymore either. There used to be a beacon but I don't know where it is.

- Patrick

Nomad 28
08-16-2006, 10:30 AM
The hot springs are within the City of Tacoma watershed limits, you can not get to them legally, and if they catch you trespassing,good luck. At the very least,a monetary fine. The Hot springs were west of Lester.Do yourself a favor, and obey ALL watershed postings.

Also, I believe that the "One-way"distance to Lester from the locked gate is more like 2 miles, not one mile.

Ghostdancer
01-04-2007, 05:04 AM
I will travel to Bellevue again this coming August and would like to see Lester if at all possible. :)

Would anyone be interested in getting together and going? I may have to arrange for transportation.

Tom

FBTdra9
01-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Hello. I just found this site. I have been sad about missing a great opportunity with Lester for some time now. I went up there with my family when my kids were little. I ran out of film then met Gertrude. We talked for a long time in her home and she showed me many old photos and talked about the town. I had lived in Kangley as a child and Lester folk came out of the watershed through our tiny town. Most of the high school kids went up to Lester for dances on the weekends. I was there a couple of times as a child.
I asked to borrow Gertrude's photos to copy them but she was not comfortable with that. Before I could get back up there again, her house burned and as far as I know, the old town memerabila too. I always regretted not keeping in better touch and getting back. I would love to get up there again.
I am wondering about a cemetary. Anyone know anything. There likely was one....
I would be interested in accompaning you in Tom.
Sandra

Vostok 7
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello. I just found this site. I have been sad about missing a great opportunity with Lester for some time now. I went up there with my family when my kids were little. I ran out of film then met Gertrude. We talked for a long time in her home and she showed me many old photos and talked about the town. I had lived in Kangley as a child and Lester folk came out of the watershed through our tiny town. Most of the high school kids went up to Lester for dances on the weekends. I was there a couple of times as a child.
I asked to borrow Gertrude's photos to copy them but she was not comfortable with that. Before I could get back up there again, her house burned and as far as I know, the old town memerabila too. I always regretted not keeping in better touch and getting back. I would love to get up there again.
Sandra

I wasn't aware Gertrude's house burned. I thought hers was one of the two just outside the gate, and both of which are still there.

There is sure alot of history in that area. Just towards the end of last year (around July/August) they remodeled the bridge and gate and re-graded the road.

Vostok 7

Vostok 7
01-07-2007, 10:09 PM
The hot springs are within the City of Tacoma watershed limits, you can not get to them legally, and if they catch you trespassing,good luck. At the very least,a monetary fine. The Hot springs were west of Lester.Do yourself a favor, and obey ALL watershed postings.

Also, I believe that the "One-way"distance to Lester from the locked gate is more like 2 miles, not one mile.
They have it closed again passed Lester?

Lester is "closed" but they let you walk in. Is it closed further down to ALL traffic?

I know it used to be closed to ALL traffic up there just recently, but in the passed couple years they finally opened it to all walk in traffic only.

Vostok 7

Ghostdancer
04-19-2007, 05:25 AM
I would think that Lester has a cemetary.

Anyone know where it is located?

Tom

mitchcresto
01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
To Tom. yes that is lester but you have to walk about 3 to 4mil past the yellow singh. the house you saw on the way is the wa state forest service office. if you have anymore qustions i would be gladly to ancer

Ghostdancer
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
To Tom. yes that is lester but you have to walk about 3 to 4mil past the yellow singh. the house you saw on the way is the wa state forest service office. if you have anymore qustions i would be gladly to ancer

Yes, I know. I finally made it to Lester last August. But Thanks.

And I'll have to say it's a worthwhile trip.

Tom

Ghostdancer
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Just to ask again, does Lester have a cemetary?

Lanny Poffo
02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Sandra

I too grew up in Kangley, and was in my Jr. High years when we took the trip up to Lester by heading up the Headworks road and followed the river up to the town itself. We were able to go into Lester this way even though it went directly through the Tacoma watershed as invited guest of Gertie. In fact I went to high school with the last family that had been primary schooled up at Lester (not the last resident that stayed, which was Gertie) - the Burton family, their son was in the same grade I was. Back when I visited, the town had not yet been bulldozed, and the school building was still up there. They had a wonderful Pushcart powered Merry-go-round in the schoolyard for the kids - (which if I remember right think got re-located to Black Diamond?)

Anyway one item I clearly remember which I haven't seen mentioned was that there some sort of barracks buildings up there that were bulldozed in the 80's. Was this the logging camp? Or was it left over military barracks? It has been far enough back that I no longer clearly remember....

Would anyone else who was back there in the early-to-mid 80's rmember what these were?

thestrodefamily
03-14-2009, 02:39 AM
The schoolyard play equipment ended up at the Headworks, where the Water Control Station Operators' kids spent many happy days playing on them. The merry go round was tons of fun!

Fairlane500
03-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Well here's a little update on Lester in the form of some pictures from the summer of 2008.

First is the remains of the train station foundation, I'm assuming. Next is the own site itself, and a shot documenting the barn's unfortunate demise. Then, a shot of an old bust shelter standing along an empty road, and lastly, the overgrown landing strip.

Ghostdancer
03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Sad to see the barn collapsed. I'm glad that I took the trip to Lester when I did in August 2007 when it was still standing and got a photo of it.

Fairlane, that small shack that sits between the barn and the yellow house which is behind the white one, is that still standing?

Tom

Fairlane500
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Though you can't see it in my pictures, it is definitely still there, and still standing as of last summer.

Ghostdancer
03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
And to think at the time I thought the barn to look pretty sturdy.

Want to visit again next year and my cousin's now ex-husband wants to see Lester so I'll probably go there again if I do visit.

Tom

prospecter
03-24-2009, 04:54 AM
I worked for the forest service two summers (1975/1976) at the lester guard station on the tanker crew. Sad to see the barn has fallen down. Wonder if the cherry tree is still standing back there, and if the tin roof of the fuel shed has anything left of the red, white and blue I painted for the "76" centennial? Do they still have a lookout on Kelly Butte, and whatever happened to Rosco?

Zachschi
07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I just got home from visiting Lester, I can't sleep after visiting. :) I was thinking it would be fun to reconstruct a map of the town using some GPS coords that I obtained. I was curious if anyone else has some information about some other buildings around there that I may not have seen. At it's peak Lester's population was hundreds, so there must be more ruins than what I saw. I found a house in the woods nearby that I have not yet seen a picture of, with a trailer (looks like from maybe the 1950s?) I know that the city of tacoma demolished many of the original buildings in the 1980s. I came from the east (Stampede) side and we only made it as far as the no tresspassing signs from the city of Tacoma. Is there something on the west side of lester that I did not see? Thanks.

Fairlane500
07-04-2009, 05:35 AM
A house with a trailer. Really? Where's it at relative to the main buildings, I may have to take another trip up there to see this structure.

I remember last time I ventured up, the only other sign of a building I found was an old driveway from the road with a clearing where there had been a building somewhere in the vicinity of the old bus shelter.

Zachschi
07-06-2009, 10:20 PM
North off the old dirt road running parallel to the tracks behind where the train depot was. I will shoot you some GPS coords. As you are walking along this road you see where an old fence would have defined someone's property line or parcel of sorts. It is in the trees there. There is a newer no tresspassing sign and the house is in good condition, but old. I took some pictures at a distance I can post, I did not go up and peek in as the sign appeared to be newer and I wanted to respect someone's privacy just in case someone did decide to take refuge there.

Ghostdancer
08-01-2009, 05:19 PM
North off the old dirt road running parallel to the tracks behind where the train depot was. I will shoot you some GPS coords. As you are walking along this road you see where an old fence would have defined someone's property line or parcel of sorts. It is in the trees there. There is a newer no tresspassing sign and the house is in good condition, but old. I took some pictures at a distance I can post, I did not go up and peek in as the sign appeared to be newer and I wanted to respect someone's privacy just in case someone did decide to take refuge there.

Given the location you mention I think we saw this, but I don't remember any trailor. I recall the no trespassing sign. Just off the dirt road is a pathway that lead to some structure, but are we talking about the same one?

EDIT: After taking another look at your pics I don't think this is what we saw. What we saw was a smaller structure which did have a no trespassing sign, but I don't recall anything else.

Fairlane500
08-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I just went up during this past week to investigate, and discovered along with this house, a junkyard with about 3 or 4 partial thirties cars along its driveway, and in the forest a distance to the east, a partially collapsed cellar of some sort. I'll post some pictures I took soon.

Zachschi
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Cool, Look forward to seeing them. Looks like lester continues to have secrets up his sleeves. ;)

GoHack
08-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi,

I was just up there today, or I should say, almost there in Lester, driving up the Stampede Pass road. To my surprise, that road is very well maintained that even a 2WD car could drive it w/o any problems.

There appears to be evidence of a lot of traffic on that road, though I didn't see anyone, it being a Sunday afternoon. Is it used for logging?

Anyway, I decided to turn around, about 6 miles or so from I90, because I didn't have any maps or my GPS w/me. Plus I wanted to do a little research about the area first, before going too far, which is what brought me here to this website. ;)

I enjoy looking for old towns, mining camps, and the mines themselves. Reading up on them, and then looking for them.

I also enjoyed reading everyones comments, the pictures, and the links on the history of Lester.

By the way, is there a direct route via the Stampede Pass road, to Enumclaw? Thx

Fairlane500
08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
The road is still used for considerable amounts of logging, along with access to the Lester site and beyond for Tacoma Watershed and BNSF employees. In addition, I believe Washington States has some form of weather station at Lester that I have seen undergoing maintenance in the past.
As for going through to the Kanasket side, the road is still present, but is off limits to all but Watershed, and possibly railroad personnel.

GoHack
08-04-2009, 06:44 AM
How far is Lester from I90?

Zachschi
08-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Only about 15 miles or so, you will reach a gate and have to hike a couple miles in from there. It is fortunatly one of the ghost towns that are easy to fine. Try this link, should work:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=47.306357,-121.307945&daddr=Lester,+Washington+98022&hl=en&geocode=%3BFURe0AId0jPC-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=47.293202,-121.327515&sspn=0.051927,0.153637&ie=UTF8&z=13

GhostHunterZero
08-05-2009, 07:58 PM
I took a trip out to Lester today with my family. It was everyone's first trip there and we had a great time. It's sad to see that not much is there anymore but with a little imagination one can envision how neat a place this little town once was. I have included several pictures of the remaining buildings and surroundings. Also found some old bricks from the Northern Pacific Rail Line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1632.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1637.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1641.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1643.jpg

GhostHunterZero
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1635.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1644.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1648.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1655.jpg

GhostHunterZero
08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1669.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1674.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1676.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/1low64/DSC_1680.jpg

Hope you enjoyed viewing my pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them.

speedy
08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Really nice pics. Thanks for posting them.........Speedy

GoHack
08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Only about 15 miles or so, you will reach a gate and have to hike a couple miles in from there. It is fortunatly one of the ghost towns that are easy to fine. Try this link, should work:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=47.306357,-121.307945&daddr=Lester,+Washington+98022&hl=en&geocode=%3BFURe0AId0jPC-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=47.293202,-121.327515&sspn=0.051927,0.153637&ie=UTF8&z=13

Thanks.

Thanks GhostHunterZero for the pictures.

Myles Stock
08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi I lived in lester as a teen in the 60's the house and trailer is the McGee's and until Mrs MeGee passes the family go up a few times a year. Sad to hear the whearhouse went down as I helped roll lots of fire hose when there was a big fire. I still make a trip once a year trued 2 weeks ago but to hot to hike in so just stoped at the gate and ate lunch. I seen that Gurt's last place was also not there any more:mad:
Myles

redatrox
08-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I have been there twice this year. The road to Lester is washed out maybe a mile past the gate. Last time I went I crossed the green river, then fallowed it down. There is a RR bridge that crosses the river about 100 yards from the town. The old warehouse is pretty much demolished and whats left will most likely be crushed by next winters snow. The two houses are in decent shape but the one furthest from the tracks is in much better shape than the other buildings. The house closest to the tracks is littered with empty beer cans and trash. Looks like a hunter or two were using it as a shelter during elk season. Not all that much left...

Ghostdancer
08-23-2009, 07:04 PM
There is a RR bridge that crosses the river about 100 yards from the town.

There is suppose to be a pathway going south from the RR bridge that leads to some foot bridge according to the USGS topo for that area, but we didn't see any sign of it.

Fairlane500
09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I just thought I'd add some photos from Lester in late July of this past summer.

The first shots are a foundation near the standing warehouse, followed by an unfortunate picnic table, and the warehouse itself.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/852/p1040270yb.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4461/p1040271.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1241/p1040272.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/712/p1040276u.jpg

Fairlane500
10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Here are a few pictures from inside the newer Warehouse at Lester.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1817/p1040277h.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3428/p1040280a.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2095/p1040281s.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/789/p1040282za.jpg

Fairlane500
10-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Some more pictures from July, `09.

First, the flagpole and warehouse, both of which have collapsed since I first visited in 2006.
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/732/p1040286l.jpg

The kitchen of the white guardhouse, which shows a bit of abuse.
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1271/p1040287.jpg

The heater inside the yellow house.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3217/p1040289z.jpg

The kitchen of the yellow house, which is in a slightly better state of "preservation."
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2570/p1040290n.jpg

cebach
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Lester Washington is IN the tacoma water shed; And is no longer accesable; Back in the early 1960s we used to snowmobile to lester from stampede /cryistal springs area; There was a large school, nice bar Cold beer., cafe Good bergers, train depot, maybe 150 or so residents; at that time you could go east on ITS 90 to stampede pass take that off ramp through stampede pass Through lester and come out at a little town called palmer; The water sched took all the houses/school out. the last resident was an old widow The lester school teacher, with a ford bronco that lived on the east end of Lester. Now They put up gates to keep everyone out;As i recall the closing of the road and removal of residents was in the Mid 1980s. Altho I belive you can snowmobile to the location from the stampede side,. Posted all from memory, and I am 70 years old.

Ghostdancer
11-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Lester Washington is IN the tacoma water shed; And is no longer accesable; Back in the early 1960s we used to snowmobile to lester from stampede /cryistal springs area; There was a large school, nice bar Cold beer., cafe Good bergers, train depot, maybe 150 or so residents; at that time you could go east on ITS 90 to stampede pass take that off ramp through stampede pass Through lester and come out at a little town called palmer; The water sched took all the houses/school out. the last resident was an old widow The lester school teacher, with a ford bronco that lived on the east end of Lester. Now They put up gates to keep everyone out;As i recall the closing of the road and removal of residents was in the Mid 1980s. Altho I belive you can snowmobile to the location from the stampede side,. Posted all from memory, and I am 70 years old.

It is accessible, but you have to walk in and it's an easy walk.

travelnole
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I visited Lester in August 2009. I wrote a blog about it and posted pictures here: http://wp.me/pnsf7-2x

Also, there is now a Lester, Washington fan page on Facebook!

Darin
04-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for sharing that fascinating blog. I really enjoyed it...and welcome to the Ghost Towns forum ;)

Fairlane500
04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I visited Lester in August 2009. I wrote a blog about it and posted pictures here: http://wp.me/pnsf7-2x

Also, there is now a Lester, Washington fan page on Facebook!

Great blog, I really enjoyed seeing it.

And, you've reminded me, I need to finish putting up my pictures from July of last year, I've been falling behind getting caught up with my Carbon River adventures.

So, here's the cabin in the woods, which I managed to completely miss on my first two visits.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7256/p1040301.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9816/p1040302q.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4667/p1040303o.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5198/p1040306h.jpg

Fairlane500
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Continuing, here are a few details from the cabin in the woods. Note the "pristine" condition of the trailer's interior.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9095/p1040304m.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7255/p1040308h.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3492/p1040305i.jpg

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7571/p1040307a.jpg

Myles Stock
04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi seen the post on the canin and trailer
Both are owned by the McGees of west Seattle,. They are the last family that has a lease from the city of Tacoma. When they pass the city will push the cabin in like they did the house where I lived as a teen.
Mr McGee was a station agent for the rail road. They moved to Seattle in the early 60's but still kept the lease.
The cabin was once owned by Blackie Mowser when he was a fireman in the steamers.
Not much left in Lester any more Just lots of memerys Myles

Fairlane500
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Hi seen the post on the canin and trailer
Both are owned by the McGees of west Seattle,. They are the last family that has a lease from the city of Tacoma. When they pass the city will push the cabin in like they did the house where I lived as a teen.
Mr McGee was a station agent for the rail road. They moved to Seattle in the early 60's but still kept the lease.
The cabin was once owned by Blackie Mowser when he was a fireman in the steamers.
Not much left in Lester any more Just lots of memerys Myles

Thanks for the info Myles. It's such a shame that the city of Tacoma has so little regard for the history in those buildings. A part of the problem is probably because it's in King County instead of Pierce, giving it that much less respect from the county authorities.

Located not too far from the Mcgee's cabin is what must have once been a junkyard. Various pieces of several cars lie scattered around in a small portion of the woods:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1543/p1040312s.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9867/p1040313g.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8220/p1040314v.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2281/p1040316k.jpg

travelnole
04-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Myles, thanks for sharing about the cabin! I'm glad I was able to see that bit of history while it's still there. I REALLY wish the buildings had all been left instead of bulldozed. That would be incredible to see. :)

Darin and Fairlane500, thanks :D Glad you enjoyed my blog. I love all the pictures, here. It was exciting to go there and see what I knew others on this forum had also seen.

Frostbite
07-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I worked for the forest service two summers (1975/1976) at the lester guard station on the tanker crew. Sad to see the barn has fallen down. Wonder if the cherry tree is still standing back there, and if the tin roof of the fuel shed has anything left of the red, white and blue I painted for the "76" centennial? Do they still have a lookout on Kelly Butte, and whatever happened to Rosco?

Seeing as how the original poster has only one post count, I doubt he will see this, but thought others might be interested in a follow-up. In the picture, if you look at the roof, you can clearly see blue stripes. If you look at the flaking paint at the bottom of the fuel shed, you see red paint poking through. Kinda fun to see it, and know the back story from 35 years ago.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/5934439019_74efff2b8e_z.jpg

Ghostdancer
07-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Seeing as how the original poster has only one post count, I doubt he will see this, but thought others might be interested in a follow-up. In the picture, if you look at the roof, you can clearly see blue stripes. If you look at the flaking paint at the bottom of the fuel shed, you see red paint poking through. Kinda fun to see it, and know the back story from 35 years ago.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/5934439019_74efff2b8e_z.jpg

Isn't this the shed that's between the white home and huge barn? I have a photo of it before those trees in front were cut down and windows boarded up.

Frostbite
07-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Isn't this the shed that's between the white home and huge barn? I have a photo of it before those trees in front were cut down and windows boarded up.

Yes, it is the Oil Shack that is between the barn and the crew quarters.

I was in Lester again last week, and ran into one of the City of Tacoma Watershed employees. He told me that some kids had gone in and done a lot of tagging in the buildings two weeks ago. Sure enough, when I got there I found the inside and outside of buildings were tagged. They also broken out every window. It was sad to see. Luckily, they didn't find the McGee place.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6008/5952711513_321eb0f9af_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6012/5953267042_6f16bc4a4c_z.jpg

Ghostdancer
07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
McGee place? Which one or where is the McGee place?

Frostbite
07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
McGee place? Which one or where is the McGee place?

The McGee place is the one pictured in Fairlane500's post on Page 10 of this thread with the cabin and trailer. It is the only standing home on the North side of the road/tracks in Lester proper. It is the last existing lease in Lester, and is held by the McGee family of West Seattle.

Ghostdancer
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
The McGee place is the one pictured in Fairlane500's post on Page 10 of this thread with the cabin and trailer. It is the only standing home on the North side of the road/tracks in Lester proper. It is the last existing lease in Lester, and is held by the McGee family of West Seattle.

Ok yes, I do recall something over on the north side of tracks, but not in detail as I took no photos of any of that.

Ghostdancer
07-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Here's something I'm not clear on. Is Lester actually in Stampede Pass or just beyond it?

Also, I had made an earlier comment on a foot bridge that's suppose to be on a pathway leading from the RR bridge. This according to the USGS topo for Lester. Has anyone seen this foot bridge? We failed to find it.

Frostbite
07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's something I'm not clear on. Is Lester actually in Stampede Pass or just beyond it?

Also, I had made an earlier comment on a foot bridge that's suppose to be on a pathway leading from the RR bridge. This according to the USGS topo for Lester. Has anyone seen this foot bridge? We failed to find it.

Lester is beyond Stampede pass if coming from I-90. Go over the pass, down the other side, and you run into a gate near the Green River. Walk about two miles from there.

The foot bridge you speak of is on the trail from Lest to the Kelley Butte lookout. The trail is abandoned, but still easily discernible. As for the bridge, only remnants are remaining. It is the squarish looking moss covered thing in the photo below.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6133/5934430831_0385e54a0a_z.jpg

The Kelley Butte Lookout has been restored over the last three years, and actually looks new. Definitely worth visiting. It is a 1.5 mile hike in, with a 1,000 foot elevation gain. Access is off of Forest Road 70 from Highway 410.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6139/5973122658_805a48e952_z.jpg

Ghostdancer
07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Frostbite, thanks for the info and the photos. I'll want to see those next time I go there. The photo of the lookout must be facing west since that looks like Mt. Rainer in the background.

Ghostdancer
07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
This trail is clearly marked on the map, but just to ask it appears to start at a point just past the railway bridge and about 2 miles to the lookout? And I take it this is not in the off limits area of the Tacoma Watershed?

Frostbite
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
This trail is clearly marked on the map, but just to ask it appears to start at a point just past the railway bridge and about 2 miles to the lookout? And I take it this is not in the off limits area of the Tacoma Watershed?

It used to start just past the railroad bridge, but you can't see it at that point. Just walk into the woods about 150 to 200 yards, and you will get to a steep slope that goes up about 30 to 40 feet, then levels out. You can find the trail from up there. If you have trouble finding the trail, just walk to Lester creek and follow it upstream until it turns South. The remains of the bridge are about 50 yards upstream of this point. There is some other interesting stuff up there as well, if you poke around a bit.

To get to the lookout, the best way is actually from the other side of Kelley Butte, off of Forest road 70 from Highway 410. The old trail from Lester, while still visible, would likely have a lot of blow down and other obstacles. If you need detailed directions to Kelley Butte Trail from Highway 410, let me know.

None of this is in off limits area of the Tacoma watershed. I spoke to City of Tacoma employees who patrol the watershed, and they gave me the green light for that area. Last time I was there, there were railroad workers at the bridge. I politely asked if I could cross it, and they said "we don't care what you do!". It made me laugh.

Ghostdancer
07-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Yes, I'd like those directions Frostbite. I'll put them in my notes for next time. I was there back in May and we were unable this time to get into Lester since the road was covered with snow.

Xtremefalcon
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey all,

My wife and I are new to searching out ghost towns, have heard about Lester from a couple different places now. We live about 4 hours away (Vancouver, WA) was wondering if it truly is worth the trip up to visit? Any concerns with access this time of year? Would hunting be an issue?

Sifting back through this thread it looks like there is a lot of history to this town, and a lot to find hidden in the trees.

Ghostdancer
10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I'd recommend it. The walk in past the yellow gate is easy and the area is beautiful. The road in is pretty good; a passenger vehicle can manage it. Don't know how much hunting is done in that area though.

Xtremefalcon
10-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I'd recommend it. The walk in past the yellow gate is easy and the area is beautiful. The road in is pretty good; a passenger vehicle can manage it. Don't know how much hunting is done in that area though.

Good to hear, I'm not worried about road access, but that's good to hear that the road is well kept. Does anyone have a GPS saved input I could throw into my Garmin hand held while we're up there?

Ron Rogers
05-12-2012, 06:27 PM
hi
i lived in Lester wa. in 1964 and 1965 i havent been back

Ron Rogers
05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
hi Beverly
my name is Ron i lived in Lester in 1964 and 1965 did your aunt have a little dog named tuffy and live by the tavern

Ron Rogers
05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Patrick
when i lived there in 1964 and 65 we would dig out the hot springs up above the old hotel and the city of Tacoma would come up and blow it up
Ron Rogers

Ron Rogers
05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Joe Newsum that owned the resturent across from the tavers on the east end of the airport had alot of old cars and parts there