PDA

View Full Version : Boise Basin region

deshawn70
05-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Hello, I am a newbie that is fairly new in ghost town hunting. I live in southern Idaho and try to visit the Boise Basin area when I can. Actually, north of Boise Basin I am interested in a town called Roosevelt. It was dammed up back in the late 1800's (I think) and left the town under water. Apparantly you can still see the foundations of the town at the edge of the lake.
Also, Bonanza and Custer is fascinating to visit. I was not impressed so much with Silver City. I thought the buildings were interesting but you could not get close to a lot of them because they are summer houses now. I have still yet to reach Atlanta or Rocky Bar, ID but have heard they are interesting towns to visit.
I love talking about ghost towns and history and look forward to talking to everyone. I am with a volunteer group trying to preserve a stage station on the Oregon Trail and I have always loved history. OK, time to quit boring everyone :-) Have a pleasant evening.

oregon4wd
05-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Howdy, I think your in a great location to start alot of ghost town trips from. Silver City can be a little rough around the edges at times but there is a fair amount to explore in the vicinity. There are four cemeteries that I know of, Ruby City being one. Check out the trails up and around War Eagle Mountain. I picked up a good spiral bound guide of that area, "War Eagle Mountain Field Trip" by the "Stathams" at the shop across from the Hotel. Bonanza and Custer are interesting as well as Rocky Bar and Atlanta. I didn't get a good look at Atlanta when I passed through as it was twilight and there are folks living there. Rocky Bar is a ghost. Good luck with the stage station preservation!

ghost_town_huntress
05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Silver City has an annual open house every September the weekend after Labor Day in which you can tour a lot of those summer houses. Call tourism in Murphy about it. I also have the number for the Idaho Hotel in Silver City that you could call about it, but I'd have to get back to you on that one, I've got to dig it up.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

dvsww2
05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Rachel is correct on the open house. Monies from that fund the pay for the winter watchman over the town. I first traveled to Silver City in 1954 as a child with my uncle. I'm interested in Oregon 4wd's mention of the book by the Statham's and I'm curious of which ones. I'm sure it is a good book as the family has been in the area for a long time. I went to college with Bill and his wife Dawn and knew his parents Rusty and Wilma well. The family home is red, up the hill from the drug storein Silver City. I'm in Caldwell if you are interested in getting together. Was planning to go to the spring rally until that got canceled, planning on the fall rally at Spruce Mountain..

deshawn70
05-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the Silver city info! I thought the area was breathtaking no doubt and you can almost feel the history of the area. I am also interested in that book as well. dvsww2, perhaps we can get together sometime. I will get back to you on that. I am about to be in the process of moving so the next month is going to be crazy. Well, work comes early so I need to go. Take care all!

oregon4wd
05-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi All,

On the cover of the "War Eagle Mountain Field Trip" it said it was Prepared by Wilma Lewis Statham with H.R. 'Rusty' Statham and William P. Statham. It was put out by the Owyhee County Historical Society. Written in 1998 and revised in 2003. Not a large publication at 37 pages (8/12 x 11) but a good amount of info. Nice fold-out map with identification key so you can tell what your looking at. Old pictures, etc.

I was thinking also, if you're ever bored around Boise, check out this museum. Admission was free last year. Not a huge place, but I'm glad I stopped in.

Idaho Historical Museum
610 North Julia Davis Drive
Boise, Idaho 83702-7695

dvsww2
05-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info on the book, I'll have to look for it. Wilma Statham was born in Silver City and her father was the Judge for many years. She unfortuantely passed away a few years back, but was a neat lady. She worked tirelessly for the preservation of Silver City and worked with the Congressional Staff for the home owners to get title to the land under the houses.and buildings. Also if you are in Boise, you need to check out the Idaho Historical Society's displays at the Old State Pen. If you are into firearms, you need to check out the J Curtis Earl exhibit.

deshawn70
05-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi All,

On the cover of the "War Eagle Mountain Field Trip" it said it was Prepared by Wilma Lewis Statham with H.R. 'Rusty' Statham and William P. Statham. It was put out by the Owyhee County Historical Society. Written in 1998 and revised in 2003. Not a large publication at 37 pages (8/12 x 11) but a good amount of info. Nice fold-out map with identification key so you can tell what your looking at. Old pictures, etc.

I was thinking also, if you're ever bored around Boise, check out this museum. Admission was free last year. Not a huge place, but I'm glad I stopped in.

Idaho Historical Museum
610 North Julia Davis Drive
Boise, Idaho83702-7695
Thanks for the info! I will definitely have to find that book. I have heard of that museum but have not visited it. I have found quite a bit of useful info on here. I have been visiting the ghosttown.com site for a couple of years now but have just recently joined the forums. It is good to know people still love the history of their area whether it be Idaho, Arizona or wherever.

oregon4wd
05-19-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm sure there's more where that book came from. Also look for Southern Idaho Ghost towns by Wayne Sparling plus Ghost towns of the Northwest by Norman Weis, both by Caxton Printers in Caldwell. Don't forget Nevada either as it has a huge amount of ghost towns and mining sites. You might be able to visit quite a few sites in the northern part of the state over a weekend. Look for Stan Pahers- Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps. It's a large book and a great overview of, I believe 600+ sites. I've been visiting the ghosttowns.com site also for several years and just joined the forum recently. My introduction, for all it's worth :rolleyes: is on one of the other threads.

deshawn70
05-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I bought and read Southern Idaho Ghost Towns and was a good source for several trips I made last year. I also purchased "Idaho for the Curious" which include historical interests and just oddball things to see as you make your way across Idaho roads.

oregon4wd
05-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks for mentioning that book; Idaho for the Curious. It's right up my alley. This kind of info makes any trip more interesting, especially if you've travelled over the same road several times and didn't know what you were missing.

deshawn70
05-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for mentioning that book; Idaho for the Curious. It's right up my alley. This kind of info makes any trip more interesting, especially if you've travelled over the same road several times and didn't know what you were missing. No problem. A lady at the Twin Falls Historical museum told me about it and had one on hand for me to flip through. I then went and bought one. It does make trips more interesting. Over the weekend, I found the site of Springtown in the Snake River canyon east of Twin Falls. I haven't found a way down into the canyon yet, but the research I have done has led me to that area. Not sure if anything is left, but I will report back WHEN I find a way to it :-)

Kayaker2005
06-10-2006, 11:09 PM
No problem. A lady at the Twin Falls Historical museum told me about it and had one on hand for me to flip through. I then went and bought one. It does make trips more interesting. Over the weekend, I found the site of Springtown in the Snake River canyon east of Twin Falls. I haven't found a way down into the canyon yet, but the research I have done has led me to that area. Not sure if anything is left, but I will report back WHEN I find a way to it :-)
If springtown is the one under hansen bridge i know of a way to access it.. contact me and i will give you the info

deshawn70
06-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Kayaker2005,

message sent. Thank you!

Sorry I haven't been around for it seems like ages. Alot going on but I seem to be gaining back a little free time again.

DirtyDog
02-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Re: springtown Id. Springtown was first located about 3 miles south on a little spring-fed creek which in 1907 was taken over by the TF C**** Co. It was never in the canyon. It stood at the edge of the canyon. From Hansen bridge, go south 1/4 mi to Addison Ave East, then west 1/4 mile to dirt road that heads north towards the canyon. At edge of canyon is where Springtown was located. Chinatown was located in the canyon almost directly beneath the Hansen Bridge. Upriver from the bridge are some large crevices that were used as refrigerators as they had ice in them year-around. In the 1920s-1940s people dumped their trash into these crevices. I found a cast iron toy car nearby. Back at the canyon by the townsite is a trailhead that will take you down into the canyon on the southside of the river. To access the northside, cross the Hansen bridge heading north; at the freeway (1/2 mi) turn west just beyond the gas station; drive 1 mile west, turn south and drive 1 mile. You will see parking area. Trailhead is there. There is an old placer mining operation down there. Potholes in the river contain flour gold. WATCH OUT FOR RATTLE SNAKES! Baby rattlesnakes are in the potholes-be careful!