PDA

View Full Version : RYE Patch Nevada - Gold Field - Nevada Ghost towns

Mikejts
05-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I just purchased a Gold Detector :D and part of the purchase price includes a 3 day training session in Rye Patch Nevada.
Because I will be traveling about 1000 miles to get there I am interested in seeing some Ghost towns before and after the training session. Obviously I want to see Virginia city again as it has been years since I was there. An suggestions the people on this form have I would appreciate.
I am interested in towns that still have buildings, they should have a good history of Gold/silver mining.
I also do not mind using my 4X4 to get to a site so if you are aware of one but it is hard to get to don't be bashful about sharing. I will be coming from Colorado across Utah and then Nevada.

THANKS

Bob
05-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Well, if you want buildings and consider Virginia City a must, then bag Eureka and Austin on US-50. I don't know how far off the main track you are willing to detour but there is Cherry Creek and Sprucemont off US-93 between Ely and Wells, Hamilton and Belmont Mill off US-50 between Ely and Eureka, Metropolis off I-80 between Wells and Elko and as you get nearer Rye Patch, there several neat towns off I-80 between Elko and Rye Patch including Palisades, Uniontown. and nearby Rye Patch (Check out Rochester) If you've got the time, spend a day in Tonopah and Goldfield and then head back up Smoky Vally (past Round Mountain, Ophir Canyon, Kingston) etc toward Austin or bag a Nevada State Park at Berlin. I'd explore around those places looking for lessor known (not so many buildings) but these all provide good exploring.

Are you looking for placer gold? Microscopic Gold abounds in Nevada but some of the best historical Placer gold mining was around Manhattan and a short jog to Belmont and then back through Manhattan on your way out of Tonopah toward Austin would be icing on the cake. If you hit Tonopah, swing by Shawn Hall's Historic Mining Park and invest in a couple of Shawns books fo9r good details on Nye, Elko, Lander, Eureka and White Pine counties. I'm just typing as I think about a recon trip hitting Nevada when heading west from Colorado and how to gert back. Remember you can find neat stuff in Utah and Western Colorado as well and Bodie California ain't that far from Virginia City. A map, a plan, and the time to explore is all you need.

Mikejts
05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Bob,

THANKS for the advice. Now all I have to do is sit down and spend time mapping stuff out.

Virginia City is not a must see. It just holds a special place for me as my father took me there when I was a kid. The picture of the "Bucket of Blood" saloon is etched in my mind. Also we talked a lot about Mark Twain as My father was a real fan of his.
I did plan on traveling 50 across Colorado/Utah as I am not fond of the freeways unless there is something I want to see and that is the only way I can do it. My training is Tuesday thru Thursday so I plan to spend 4 days before and 4 days after to get to and from Colorado.

Yes, I will be looking for placer Gold. If you know of placer gold sites in Colorado I would appreciate that. When you say, "neat stuff" in western Colorado what are you referring too?

dvsww2
05-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Bob pretty well hit on it. I would add Star City, Scossa, Seven Throughs district out of Lovelock. You can scratch Humboldt City off the list as apparently it got eaten by the Florida Canyon Mine. I would say that you could spend a couple of days easily right around the Rye Patch area. Make the NV 400 loop around to Star City,Unionville and then to Rochester and back to the pavement.. There is also a mine sight in between Unionville and Rochester that I'm uncertain of the identity but it has some cool mill foundations

ghost_town_huntress
05-19-2005, 12:55 PM
There are lots of towns by Ely, if you're going to be in the area. One is Osceola and there are others that I can't remember the names of right off the top of my head. There's also the Belmont Mill, Hamilton and Treasure City on the other side of Ely. In the Virginia City area, don't forget to visit Gold Hill and Silver City, they're really cool. You may want to stop in at some museums in Carson City and Reno too.

Rachel ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

old judge
05-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Rocky: Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun. I've posted some pics of Belmont Mill and Hamilton on this site and at www.backtrails.net (http://www.backtrails.net/), and Caver has some great pics on this site and his.Have a great time with that new stuff. By the way, if you get to Reno and enjoy old cemeteries, you can't beat the cemetery up by the college just off fraternity row. A real interesting spot in the middle of town. Oh, Sego,Utah is a favorite of mine, too. Mike

Bob
05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm not much of a fan of Orion Clemens' brother. At least, not during the time he was "Roughing It" His brother Orion however, was a great Nevadan and quite honorable man.

The famous "Baldy" Green said it best when he acknowledged that Twain had ridden with him but he "...never liked him. He seemed to study a long time before he said anything funny. Any he never gave me a cigar or asiked me to take a drink in his life."

Neat stuff in Western Colorado means I love to escape the heat of August when I have some vacation. I've road my enduro all over the hills out of Silverton, over by Telluride, down toward Ouray and found all sorts of nifty things Also messed around up toward Meeker and stuff. Following the old RR grades over the hills east of Aspen, neat roads over the passes out of Leadville, often take you by spectacluar old structures and such. How can I tell a Coloradan how much fun I've had in Colorado.

Don't know any good placer locations in Colorado but if you setup allows you to find stuff in dry washes, might have some possible locales in Nevada to root around. It aiin't like early California. IMHO, Most places have gold but you've got to dig and root and if your going to do that much manual labor work, you'd expect to make more than mimimum wage for your time. Of course if it is just the thrill of the hunt, then have fun. I've seen a couple half ounce nuggets retrieved but a weekend oif work to realize a quarter ounce of color just isn't my idea of fun.

If I remember correct, your based out of Denver somewhere, but you've got plemnty of history and old buildings within two or three hours of town. I'm sure you'll learn about ledges and how placer gold collects and the key is to look where other ain't. Finding such places means researching what was up above, The had a big old dreg barge working placer down below Manhattan in the 30s, now that is good placer mining. I knew old prospectors that kept themselves in beans working dry washes during the depression when beans were cheap and gold was $35.00 an ounce so it can be done.

Mikejts
10-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Just want to say "THANKS" to all of you that offerred advise for my trip to Rye Patch Nevada. I had planned on spending time in Utah checking out some Ghost towns but did not get all the info I was looking for so instead I spent several days checking out some of the Nevada Ghost towns. Actually quite a list. Berlin, Belmont, Ione, Manhattan, Cherry Creek, Hamilton, Belomnt Mill, Rochester, Lower Rochester, Unionville, Star Point, etc. etc.

PS - In case you care, I did find gold...

Johnnie
10-25-2005, 05:11 AM
Just want to say "THANKS" to all of you that offerred advise for my trip to Rye Patch Nevada. I had planned on spending time in Utah checking out some Ghost towns but did not get all the info I was looking for so instead I spent several days checking out some of the Nevada Ghost towns. Actually quite a list. Berlin, Belmont, Ione, Manhattan, Cherry Creek, Hamilton, Belomnt Mill, Rochester, Lower Rochester, Unionville, Star Point, etc. etc.

PS - In case you care, I did find gold...Nevada, sure has some great ghost towns to visit I guess it would take 20 years to see them all some are dissapearing faster then we have the "time" to visit them some are being saved, by classifying them as historical sites by the state that their located in.

Over the years we had the privllege of visiting some Nevada, ghost towns in the late 1950s and 1960s when gas was only 15 cents a gallon, and the whole trip covering 5 days and 1,500 miles would only cost $50.00 and that included food, gas, film, refresments.

But today $50.00 might get you to the state line from here in California, and then you have to stop and fill your tank again. Just awhile back I took the family out to a ghost town of Goverment Wells, over near the Colorado River and while we were out exploring we meet a fellow that was on horseback and he stop to talk with us and he told us that he was from Montana, and he had traveled all that ways camping outdoors just as they did in the 1800s but was not homeless he said he owned a cattle and guest ranch in Montana, and gave us a his business card and told us stop by his ranch if we ever get over to Montana.

He told us he seen old mining towns that were not on the map, some were just a few shacks but left just as they were in the turn of the century. what are we missing by not taking the back trails of this great American West.

We are now working on some projects that show the rest of you ghosttowners what these old mining towns look like in the early part century and in the 1920s and 1930s some can be seen in museums in Nevada, we have sent some to Herb Robbins, in Gold Point Nevada, and some to Suzy McCoy, in Rhyolite, and we are also hopeing to post some views of many old ghost towns in Nevada in the mid twentys if possible.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Mikejts
11-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Gas at .15 cents a gallaon. That sure beats the $3.79 I had to pay crossing NV. That is what I get for not watching the gauge. Got enough to get to the next town.

I was impressed with the Nevada Ghost towns. I put several on my site today. Got a lot more to do.

Did you catch the guys name from Montana, Where where these sites he mentioned. What trail was he following. Just wondering.

GaryB
11-06-2005, 09:43 PM
There were quite a few old mining camps in Utah that were very well kept secrets till up to the last couple decades. Such as the area (slips my mind) the rancher turned over to the state that had over 100 recorded Indian sites, including adobe houses and rock dwellings. There are some places (mines/Indian sites) in Central Nevada I have heard about that look as if the people just got up and walked off yesterday, but they are tough to get too and you have to know the right people to get there.

I had a family friend that worked on the Nevada Test Site and he had been to a few of the old mines and sites that the NTS over took. He said many were in incredible shape since no one had been around since around the 40's when it was taken over. Lots of machinery and equipment, buildings, you name it. Chances are I wouldn't last long working out there, I'd be fired for goofing off looking at the sites and the thousands of petroglyph's and such that are in that place. They can keep the little green men, I just want to see some American History ;)

Johnnie
11-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Gas at .15 cents a gallaon. That sure beats the $3.79 I had to pay crossing NV. That is what I get for not watching the gauge. Got enough to get to the next town.

I was impressed with the Nevada Ghost towns. I put several on my site today. Got a lot more to do.

Did you catch the guys name from Montana, Where where these sites he mentioned. What trail was he following. Just wondering.Rocky,

He gave a business card, but I don't know who has that card now we will trace it down, I can't remember what it said but i do recall his ranch was in Montana. We will try to find it and post the information. It wouldn't take much urging to jump on a horse and and take those back trails and experience what it would be like live on the trail for 6 months but for me it is just a dream. But Phil Spangenberger, the fellow that is on "History Channel" and "Wild West Tech" series all the time. Told me a few years ago that he and some others made that annual horseback ride through that same outlaw trail that The Wild Bunch used in the late 1800s and said the experience was unforgetable. And by the way the fellow horseback from Montana, told us about a a small group of buildings back in the hills in Nevada, with several buildings still intact with everything left as it was in the early part of the century according the the magazines and newspapers laying around inside the bunk house and other buildings. When we got home i look up the area that he thought the buildings were located on a old Nevada map dated 1905 sure enough there was a dot in that area that he described to us showing something was there in 1905 but not on later maps. We have not tried to find this lost ranch yet, But hope to find time soon. Who knows maybe there is nothing left, because lot of time has gone by since he related the story to us. and with all the rain that we have had lately maybe everything has been wash off the mountain and down to the low lands.

Johnnie & Sheila

GaryB
11-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Those old maps are a hoot to read aren't they? Have a few myself that show some places I want to try to hit, just to see if what they thought it was and what it is, is the same thing ;)

I have some friends that used to do the ATV cross country thing years ago before ATV's were still designed for mainly racing. They got to a lot of places that are really hard to get too and the sites are in good shape because of so. It seems Nevada has a few left, but they tend to be far from a highway and you really have to want to go there to bother. Mostly the center of the state areas. Been to a few of those myself. Drive as far as you can and hike in the rest of the way. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it, but then you are glad they are a PITA to get to since it keeps the riff raffers out.

Johnnie
11-08-2005, 07:09 AM
We all know Gary, that every year that go's by there is less of to see, because of the weather and vandalism of these these hidden locations that are all over the west. Our fellow ghosttowner "Another Bob" has collected many old maps that show many of these hidden locations and who knows for sure how many hidden small ranches and caves, and hidden strong boxes, from stage coach robbiers may be stuff away on these back trails of the American West.

Back in the !980s there was a news paper artical in our local paper about the how old west buffs retraced on horeback the trail that came out of Yermo, Califrnia and went eastward to the old Fort Piute. This group found many old items along the side of the trail a couple old rifles frames, and buckboard shells, and old 44-40 shell caseings, and old bottles, and a old pack saddle. still with the leather straps attached. So if a person wants to take the time to travel these old back trails who knows what is still out there to be discovered. And we are not sure what area is still open for exploration a lot of goverment land has been closed to the public in the last few years. Maybe Bob, might know what aera is open and not closed by B L M.

Your Fellow Ghostowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Bob
11-08-2005, 08:30 AM
There are plenty of areas and at least on our side of the border no area is closed to horse or foot path except for the DOD and DOE lands like Gary alluded to. Mostly prudently staying on roads and trails and for the most part, these old routes are still considered a road, trail or way. Gary, I know lots of those buildings where you walk and find 1919 magazines and such still. Root around Fay and Deerloge for instance) and I worry more about Hantavirus than others destroying the "hard to get to" places you have to work to get to but if someone can get an SUV to these areas they are in peril. Gary, I used to visit a neat line shack a bit south and east of Elgin which had a working pot belly stove, and enough protection from the elements to hole up for a few days. Bout 8 years ago the UP was cleaning out the clutter under their bridges and made an area large enough for a small vehicle to get under and not only did someone steal the stove, the trashed the place within a few months. The rains earlier this year took out the bridge and a couple hundred feet of RR track and the area up above is now Wilderness so hopefully what remains is safe. Gary, when we talk, I’ll let know exactly where you can hike there and then another three miles to find another line shack they couldn’t drive to :)

Sorry, I may be old school but the thrill is in the finding and if you leave the place like you found it, leave the arrowhead for the next person to find, others can have that same thrill you just had but if someone purloins the artifacts (breaking several federal statues if on public land) , no one else will ever have a chance at the joy and thrill of making that discovery. Leave things for your grandchildren to find seems a good motto says Bob as he steps off his soapbox. :)

GaryB
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I know too much about vandalism.

An old neighbor and his Land Cruiser club took down remains of a wooden building at Delamar in the early 80's. My dad tore him a new one and I don't think they talked much after that. Especially since we had family that worked and more than likely died from the exposure at Delamar.

If they ever get a time machine going, I'll be one of the first in line to go back to the 'ol days to see what it was like. Then catch a ride on my Great G-Pa's stagecoach back to Vegas and buy some acreage for a $.25 :D

Bob- I'll try to get with you early next week. Looks like I'll be doing some Christmas tree hunting practice on a couple of (huge!) trees in my front yard this week/end :(

GaryB
11-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Back in the !980s there was a news paper artical in our local paper about the how old west buffs retraced on horeback the trail that came out of Yermo, Califrnia and went eastward to the old Fort Piute. This group found many old items along the side of the trail a couple old rifles frames, and buckboard shells, and old 44-40 shell caseings, and old bottles, and a old pack saddle. still with the leather straps attached. So if a person wants to take the time to travel these old back trails who knows what is still out there to be discovered.
Your Fellow Ghostowners
Johnnie & Sheila
Actually, the local off road sight seeing club I'm in is doing a run along a section the Mojave road next week. Then in Dec., we're hitting the other end through Fort Piute. Went through original Ivanpah 2 weeks ago, first time I've seen in the daytime :D

I also picked up one of Bill Mann's books about the Mojave Desert and the different trails to check out. I kind of wonder if he was the info man for the story you're talking about, as he described pretty much the same findings.

My to do list just keeps getting longer.........

GaryB
11-08-2005, 07:25 PM
We better stop all this talk about the good 'ol days and ghost towns, we might offend the paranormalists :p

Johnnie
11-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Actually, the local off road sight seeing club I'm in is doing a run along a section the Mojave road next week. Then in Dec., we're hitting the other end through Fort Piute. Went through original Ivanpah 2 weeks ago, first time I've seen in the daytime :D

I also picked up one of Bill Mann's books about the Mojave Desert and the different trails to check out. I kind of wonder if he was the info man for the story you're talking about, as he described pretty much the same findings.

My to do list just keeps getting longer.........

Hello BoB, and Gary, The days when we all traveled the back roads are getting few and far between atleast for these "Old Timers" but we hope that everyone that takes the back roads do as Bob, said leave the historical location as they found it, so future generation can enjoy the same experience of coming around the bend and finding a real ghost town that no one cared about 75 years ago and giving our generation something to see "first hand" what it was like to live in these rural area of the American West.

Gary If you could take photogaphs and post them on the bulletin board we all love to see what is still out there in this very remote area that may be still intact. You know for us fellowghosttowners that will most likely not have the time to check it out for ourselves. and maybe you could put together a video also of all your trips.

Something i wish i would have done in the 1950 and 1960s but all we had was 8mm 50ft. long but lasted 10 minutes so we did not take much 8mm film if we had only had a video camera like our fellow ghostowners have at their disposa this day and age, we would take hours of film which we all know will be very historial 30 years from now.

Your fellow ghosttowners
Sheila & johnnie

Mikejts
11-13-2005, 09:18 AM
In case some of you are interested I just posted several (6) Nevada Ghost towns on my site. Just click on the link below and then on the Nevada link on my site. This was a result of your input and suggestions. So thanks. I still have at least another 10 worth adding for Nevada. I must admit, I do want to go back as I was only there for a week and there is a lot more for me to see. Guess I have to keep expanding my horizins.

If any of you are familiar with Alaska let me know as next year in June I will be going to Ganes Creek Alaska to prospect for gold. Would like to get some ghost towns in the trip. Need to start my research early.

Johnnie
11-14-2005, 06:47 AM
We just check out Colorado Ghost Town website and are very impress, With all the links you have to offer and for all the information on the Rockie Mountain Territory. By the way Rocky, did you happen to catch that program last year hosted by Peter Fonda, on the history of the mining in the Rockies, and the other program on the History Channel "The Tale of Two Citys", that told all about serveral old mining towns in the Rockies. We were luckie enough to have had a tape ready for just a an occasion such as this.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Mikejts
11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the nice comments I appreciate it.

Nope, I did not see the program hosted by Peter Fonda. Guess I should watch for these things. It would be interesting to see what the history channel selected as important to film. Coloardo has plenty of choices. What cities did they feature?

Johnnie
12-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Nevada, sure has some great ghost towns to visit I guess it would take 20 years to see them all some are dissapearing faster then we have the "time" to visit them some are being saved, by classifying them as historical sites by the state that their located in.

Over the years we had the privllege of visiting some Nevada, ghost towns in the late 1950s and 1960s when gas was only 15 cents a gallon, and the whole trip covering 5 days and 1,500 miles would only cost $50.00 and that included food, gas, film, refresments.

But today $50.00 might get you to the state line from here in California, and then you have to stop and fill your tank again. Just awhile back I took the family out to a ghost town of Goverment Wells, over near the Colorado River and while we were out exploring we meet a fellow that was on horseback and he stop to talk with us and he told us that he was from Montana, and he had traveled all that ways camping outdoors just as they did in the 1800s but was not homeless he said he owned a cattle and guest ranch in Montana, and gave us a his business card and told us stop by his ranch if we ever get over to Montana.

He told us he seen old mining towns that were not on the map, some were just a few shacks but left just as they were in the turn of the century. what are we missing by not taking the back trails of this great American West.

We are now working on some projects that show the rest of you ghosttowners what these old mining towns look like in the early part century and in the 1920s and 1930s some can be seen in museums in Nevada, we have sent some to Herb Robbins, in Gold Point Nevada, and some to Suzy McCoy, in Rhyolite, and we are also hopeing to post some views of many old ghost towns in Nevada in the mid twentys if possible.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila "NEW POSTING" 12-25 ---->

Elko Nevada, What a "Treasure Trove" of old mining towns around Elko, My nephew that lived as a real cowboy on ranches in and around Elko, told us that when he lived in that part of Nevada he tried to visit as many ghost towns he could in the late 1960s and 1970s but also told us just lately that everyones favorite Singer "Bing Crosley" owned several ranches near Elko and was known to mingle with the locals while he was vacationing his "working" ranches, and the locals admire Bing, and his accomplishments but "Bing" loved the locals just as much. Someone reported that one of Bings,faviortes sayings was Elko is "Gods Country" and my nephew Dave, always loved to used that famouse Quote also.

When we click on the map of ghost towns around "Elko" we were surpprised that my nephew was right there is bunch of ghost towns in nothern Nevada. When we were out exploring in the 1960s never had the time to get pass Goldfield and Belmont, But always wanted too, and always plan too, and sure wish we had. We expect that there is less to see and to check out now in and around Elko, but maybe some other fellow ghosttowners can bring the rest of us up to date on the currant status of these "Gems" of N/E Nevada.

My wife and i got the tail-end of a radio program out of Las Vegas, last nigth where a relative of "Bring Crosely" was being interview by Pete Moss on "KDWN" radio and she did say that Bing, did have some ranches around Elko so this confirms the stories that Dave pass down to the rest of the our family through the years. I guess "Bings" Niece Carlolyn will have a book out shortly about the time she spent with Bing, what a neat time for Carlolyn to hear Bing sing all our faviorite songs in person at there family get togethers, Boy what a treat.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Mikejts
12-25-2005, 01:25 PM
You are right. I had planned to come back to Colorado from Rye Patch on 80 to Elko and spend time wandering around but got hooked on going south instead. Guess I have to save that trip for another time. I could spend months in Nevada.

Johnnie
12-26-2005, 06:34 AM
You are right. I had planned to come back to Colorado from Rye Patch on 80 to Elko and spend time wandering around but got hooked on going south instead. Guess I have to save that trip for another time. I could spend months in Nevada.
We agree Rocky, Nevada seems to have alot of all those minerals that everyone is looking for, and seem attract all the explorers to that region of the west. Even today some of these old mines are being worked, and with todays gold prices why not.

Over here in California, these old rock quaries that made sand and gravel are now making more money refineing the gold that at one time was wash down from the San Gaberial Mountains, according to an artical in the local newspaper.

Johnnie & Sheila

OldTroop
12-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Ely in White Pine County is where its happening...more mining and indian attacks than any other county. It was the wild west you hear about...wagon trains circling in indian attacks, pony express stations, cavalry chasing indians it really was a wild and wooly times.....Ive got photos on my website from last summer.... http://aaahostmasters.net/2002_0103/index.htm ...the The old remains of Hamilton and Treasure city are fast disapeering. i'll be going back this summer looking for a few selected places. Belmont Mill is going down hill fast also. ive also got a lot off Indian petroglyphs photos taken about 25 miles from Reno....thousands of them but its a real bi**h to get ...strictly 4 wheel drive...check out my site and enjoy the photos.

Mikejts
12-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Nice Site. Let me know if you are interested in trading links.

:D

Johnnie
12-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the nice comments I appreciate it.

Nope, I did not see the program hosted by Peter Fonda. Guess I should watch for these things. It would be interesting to see what the history channel selected as important to film. Coloardo has plenty of choices. What cities did they feature?
Pardon us for not answering your question Rocky, a while back about what ghost towns that were on that program we just have missed that post of yours. Anyway the towns featured on that program were so many. We will have to watch the tape over and get back with you. We have to agree with you Rocky, "Old Troop" our new fellow ghosttowner does have a nice web-site for Nevada Ghosttowns, and is one of several that are on the top ten best, along with your great great site, you guys keep up the great work.

Your Fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

OldTroop
12-27-2005, 09:14 AM
mikejts...incoming pm.

Mikejts
12-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Pardon us for not answering your question Rocky, a while back about what ghost towns that were on that program we just have missed that post of yours. Anyway the towns featured on that program were so many. We will have to watch the tape over and get back with you. We have to agree with you Rocky, "Old Troop" our new fellow ghosttowner does have a nice web-site for Nevada Ghosttowns, and is one of several that are on the top ten best, along with your great great site, you guys keep up the great work.

Your Fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila
Not a problem. I completely understand.

old judge
12-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Old Troop: Nice site. Very much enjoyed your photographs. If you're interested in what's on up at the top at Belmont mill, check "Caver's" post of 10-15-04 on the subject, and enjoy his fairly recent photos. OJ

Mikejts
12-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Looks familiar - I was there in September 2005 That is when I took my pictures. has not changed much.

Old Troop: Nice site. Very much enjoyed your photographs. If you're interested in what's on up at the top at Belmont mill, check "Caver's" post of 10-15-04 on the subject, and enjoy his fairly recent photos. OJ

OldTroop
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Nice photos. We didnt make it up to the mine. good to see pic of it up there. Im going to go all the way up belmont canyon ...theres an old ranch supposed to be up there. Theres a really nice valley at the bottom of Treasure Hill that looks real inviting. You could probably spend about a week just exploring that area alone. I'll spend 4 days in Ely as base camp. Covered a lot of territory last trip, this time its going to be selected places. Wish I had time to do some fishing in Cave lake.....man that is a beautiful little lake.

Bob
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Old troop, when ya heading to Hamilton? There is a really neat collection of circa 1860 remains worth visiting but figure they are under snow till bout May. Last time I visited it was late April and got stopped by a huge snow drift but it the original water works coming up from Illipah creek. The remains of a couple pump stations and a huge water storage facility at an elevation above Hamilton proper.

BTW: Welcome to Ghosttowns. From your website I figured you were based in Ely. Could point you in the direction of some lessor know White Pine Sites if you interested.

OldTroop
12-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey Bob, I live in Reno. My brother and nephew and father all go and its a good get together...there in Colorado springs and were in Reno so its a great place to meet up, probably about June 20th or so. I think I know the remains your speaking of...is it off the shermantown road???? we were going to go to Shermantown but a **** of a big muddy rut was stopping us...we were in 4 wheel drives but that was just asking for trouble...it was bad. so we returned to hamilton and took the road up to Treasure hill, there was one snow drift in a sharp hair pin turn that almost stopped us but we made it. then we tried to get to Shermantown off the top of Treasure hill....MISTAKE...**** road hung on the side of the cliff and when we decided it was time to turn around it took 2 people and about 40 go an inch forward and an inch back to get the rigs turned around. Wont do that road again LOL. Theres so many places in white Pine County and most are really easy to get to...**** the dirt roads are better than the paved roads of reno LOL. You only need 4 wheel drives for a few selected places...or if your dumb like we were. The so called fort Pearce grave yard is really an interesting place. Its on the other end of Egan canyon out of Cherry Creek. Tippet and Antelope Springs are cool....its all real easy to get to. Take a lunch and go down Spring valley and there is about 6 ghost towns you can go to...not much left at few of them. Lots of great scenery, theres just so many its hard to tell you LOL...**** all of white Pine County is a very historic area.

Bob
12-28-2005, 01:34 PM
If I could earn a living I'd live there or Caliente or Goldfield or anywhere but Las Vegas. I've been there, hunted there, explored there. My favorite out-of-the-way place is over by Blue Mass and have found lots of interesting "not-on-the-map" things in that area between the Goshute's Reservation and Sacramento Pass (Black Horse Area). You can access the Water Works heading east from downtown Hamilton when the roads are not wet but that won't happen till June. Actually coming up from Illapah Creek (Go in at the reservoir) follow along the creek till ya get to the area (There a couple old ranch structures and some good deer hunting and lot's or running water to find if you make the wrong turn) and a “jeep wide” vehicle does a lot better than a my “full sized Bronco” width vehicle. .

BTW: Really liked your write up on Joshua Ward. Sounds like you have a lot of exploring to do. I've still got a couple blanks in my locale spreadsheet for White Pine county not places most even consider and not on a map and I can only pinpoint them with a 10 mile radius.. Then I have some blanks in your neck of the woods, including a locale between somewhere just west of the rest stop out of Wadsworth I just can’t locate..

OldTroop
12-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah...we spent about an hour on Connor pass...there used to be a stage stop there. we had an original old photo of the stop and were matching skylines and hill structures....i know we were almost on top of it but not sure....thats one place I want to check out gain and Blackhorse. Were gonna follow the road out of Eagn canyon and past the graveyard...about 10 miles out is the remains of another pony express station and stage stop. Great thing about the Pony Express stations is they were only 10-12 miles apart. So you can go to Tippet, Antelope Springs and Schelbourne right into Egan canyon. Blue Mass is one of the places were going this trip, didnt make it last trip. Also go on past Tippet to the Utah border...theres supposed to be some good remains of towns and pony express staion right on or near the line. Weve been to quite a few out side of Fallon near Austin. Id love to live in Ely....i dont work so thats not a problem.
but I have 4 grandchildren here in Reno and I couldnt get my wife to leave for anything LOL. I know most of my days would be spent at cave creek fishing LOL.

Bob
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Actually in the summer I like to watch Elk back past Cave Lake. The biggest German Browns are not in the reservoirs (Niether Cave lake nor Illipah) but follow the success loop over the hill and near where the Kalamozoo Road meets the Success Loop, figure out how to get over to Duck Creek for some really big fish! I thought the actual Conners pass locale was bladed in the 60's for the perhaps the next to the last previous version of the highway. What could you find out at White Pine Historical and Archaeological Society. Once you bag all the ghosts they have written up I can point to another dozen of so they haven't got around to and then share some of my missing places.

OldTroop
12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Sounds good Bob. yeah I have to make that success loop this time also. I hear its a really beautiful area. i know I wont do any fishing this time but id like to make just a fishing trip sometime. You know theres a possibility that the Connors Station was graded....i know we were right there from the photo we had. I was hoping it was on the other side of the hiway up in the trees.I'll be taking alot more photos this time, If you have any places I havent listed let me know....might be added to my trip. Oh yeah, the White Pine Historical Society web site is great for information. Ive gotten plenty of info from it.

Johnnie
12-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Actually in the summer I like to watch Elk back past Cave Lake. The biggest German Browns are not in the reservoirs (Niether Cave lake nor Illipah) but follow the success loop over the hill and near where the Kalamozoo Road meets the Success Loop, figure out how to get over to Duck Creek for some really big fish! I thought the actual Conners pass locale was bladed in the 60's for the perhaps the next to the last previous version of the highway. What could you find out at White Pine Historical and Archaeological Society. Once you bag all the ghosts they have written up I can point to another dozen of so they haven't got around to and then share some of my missing places.
We can't wait Bob, To hear of those hidden places your speaking of in your great state of Nevada.

J & S

ARIZONA GUIDE
01-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I was just at Rye Patch nugget shooting. I went up into star city. There are some spots on the road that are solid sheets of ice right now. It stoped our drive in. So we hiked it the rest of the way. The winter run off from last year tore the road to shreds. There are some points that a rock crawler would be the only way in. I hope the fix it because that area is cool.

Did you by a minelab from gerys detectors or what.

Mikejts
01-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I was just at Rye Patch nugget shooting. I went up into star city. There are some spots on the road that are solid sheets of ice right now. It stoped our drive in. So we hiked it the rest of the way. The winter run off from last year tore the road to shreds. There are some points that a rock crawler would be the only way in. I hope the fix it because that area is cool.

Did you by a minelab from gerys detectors or what.
Just now getting around to reading the forum. Yep I did buy from Gerry and I would recommend him to every one. I will be going with him to Alaska this summer.

ARIZONA GUIDE
01-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Do you check out any of the nugget shoothing forums we have here in AZ. If you want a good one take a look at arizonagoldprospectors.com. It is by far the best one around.

Mikejts
01-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Do you check out any of the nugget shoothing forums we have here in AZ. If you want a good one take a look at arizonagoldprospectors.com. It is by far the best one around.
Just registered - waiting for response. Will check it out. Would like to find same here in Colorado.

Mikejts
11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I was surfing the forum and ran across this old thread that I had started. It reminds me of all the great and helpful people I found on the forum.

I just want to tell you all THANKS :D

I appreciate all the sharing on the site.

blkrokbear
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Hello;
Someone mentioned the seven troughs mining district. I live near there..Only buildings left standing are at the Tunnel Camp site. but the Drive up Seven Troughs Canyon is close and worth a look.The BLM has done a good job of cleaning up at Tunnel Camp and there is a four stamp stamp mill still standing as well some cabins, small shop, a few outhouses, as well as a brick assay office. It's not a bad drive to come east fron lovlock, You can also drive west from SR 447 over the limbo Range or south off of Sulfer/Jungo Rd but the roads are not well posted or maintained. As mentioned earlier Always have a full fuel tank and also carry a supply of drinking water and food. An extra Spare tire if possable. I also carry a 12V air compressor and tire plug kit with me.
KW

RockHounder55
05-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello;

Someone mentioned the seven troughs mining district. I live near there..Only buildings left standing are at the Tunnel Camp site. but the Drive up Seven Troughs Canyon is close and worth a look.The BLM has done a good job of cleaning up at Tunnel Camp and there is a four stamp stamp mill still standing as well some cabins, small shop, a few outhouses, as well as a brick assay office. It's not a bad drive to come east fron lovlock, You can also drive west from SR 447 over the limbo Range or south off of Sulfer/Jungo Rd but the roads are not well posted or maintained. As mentioned earlier Always have a full fuel tank and also carry a supply of drinking water and food. An extra Spare tire if possable. I also carry a 12V air compressor and tire plug kit with me.
KW

Thanks bear. I'm in Winnemucca, so I'm not too far from there. I was wondering if there was much left. It sounds like it's worth the drive.

Albin
06-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Hello;
KW

My son and I planning a side trip to Seven Troughs, Vernon and the Eagle Picher mine this summer as part of our 2008 Summer Desert trip.

I found Seven Troughs the first time in 1986, well before the internet, GPS or bulletin boards. How did I do it back then?????

:)

teds280z
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I am going to be at Rye Patch this weekend, hopefully in the campground by the dam. GT'in and fishin. Come by if you see the bright red sportage. Of course after Saturday afternoon it should be brown.
6/27:cool:

teds280z
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Welcome to the site. I live in Reno and am looking for someone to go out GT'ing. I usually go alone. You can send a private message to me by clicking on teds280z by the avitor if you would like to talk.:cool:

GaryB
08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Ted, you trying to make friends with spammers again?

teds280z
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Gary this was the wrong thread. I don't know how I did it or even who it was for. Sorry:o

GaryB
08-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Gary this was the wrong thread. I don't know how I did it or even who it was for. Sorry:o

No, you were right. The poster was trying to act like they were interested in the subject, were familiar with the area, yadda, yadda, yadda. But the fact they posted links to a drug site and had the same IP as numerous other spammers gave them away ;)