PDA

View Full Version : Road to cerro Gordo

dagnabbit
05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
We have a new Subaru Outback with 8.4 inches of ground clearence.could we make it up to cerro Gordo without undercarriage damage ? should I have undercarriage skid plates installed? How many rough and rocky stretches are there?

Johnnie
05-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Your question "Dagnabbit" on the currant road conditions, to Cerro Grodo is best answered by our fellow ghost towners Cecile & Roger, She just had a post on (Land / Land Uses Form) just the other day. Their web site is (Explore Historicl California) Cecile checks into Ghosttowns.com all the time if you want wait till she stops by, Several of us would like to know what kind of damage all that rain did there a few months ago. Did the rain effect the canyons in the "Inyos" up and around Owens Valley.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Cecile
05-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Dagnabbit, I missed this thread because I just got back from 4 days up in Cerro Gordo. And I've been busy writing a story about the stagecoach robberies up there for my June website. You will find that the Yellow Grade road is in fine condition right now. It is steep and windy, but well graded, 2 wheel drive passable. But watch out for those banditos ;0)

My friend, town owner, Mike Patterson, is back living on the mountain full time and you will find the place has the same friendly atmosphere it had when his wife Jody was alive. Mike does appreciate if you call ahead and let him know you are coming 760-876-5030, even for a day visit, so you he can be prepared to greet you and give you a town tour. There are over night accomodations in the 1865 Mortimer Belshaw House & the old bunkhouse, should you want to plan an extended stay. The American Hotel is not available to stay in, but you can tour the downstairs, which has been upgraded inside in the past year with the most beautiful bar. Mike even has an interesting assortment of non-alcholic drinks available in the bar. We enjoyed Tommyknockers rootbeer, and gingerbeer while we were there.

Johnnie, the Swansea Grade suffered some damage from the weather. Mike hiked over to Mexican Springs from the town while we were up there, and came back reporting there was some serious damage to that part of the road that would need some road work before anyone could attempt it, unless they were hardcore 4 wheelers. The Lee Flat Road is fine.

The wildflower bloom, particularly, lupine and Indian paint brush, is incredible as you come up the Yellow Grade road, and Mike says the mountain will soon have beautiful wildflowers, as well.

Johnnie
05-27-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks Cecile, for the latest news, on the road conditions in the local aera in and around Cerro Gordo. We hope to make it up to Owens Valley in Aug. We hope everyone on the Ghosttowns.com will watch the segment on Gold Rush Ghosttowns on the History Channel Sat. the 28th. at 5 pm our time. So check your T. V.guide and service in your aera. Thanks again Cecil, for the update in Owens Valley.

Your Fellow Ghosttoners
Johnnie & Sheila