PDA

View Full Version : Jim Butler Days in Tonopah

oregon4wd
05-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm probably heading down to Tonopah and Gold Point over the Memorial day weekend. Is there a preferred place to hang out for a while with other ghost towners? (as opposed to just mingling with tourists etc.) If anyone has been to the Jim Butler Days before, is parking or traffic a problem? Any suggestions? I usually don't travel much on holidays. Thanks a bunch! Guess I should have put this in the "current events" category. Whoops.

GaryB
05-27-2005, 04:10 PM
I was once there a loooooong time ago. I know it has grown some in popularity so it might be pretty busy. Was fun though. If you get bored of Tonapah, Belmont and Manhattan nearby are great sites.

oregon4wd
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks GaryB, I did make it there so I'll give an update. I guess the size of the parade and attendence is all relative. I considered it a small parade, traffic wasn't a problem and I'm glad I got to see it first hand. The Mining Park was open and was a popular spot to be at after the parade. Mining contests, such as the "Mucking" competition were held there.
Thanks for the tips on Belmont and Manhattan. I did hit the backroads around Manhattan as well as covering alot of back roads all the way down to Chloride Cliff. Should have been there years ago, but finally checked that area out. Spent much time in Gold Point for the "anything goes" Chili cook-off. Everybody's a friend there and I had a great time.

GaryB
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
On the average, anywhere outside Reno and Vegas folks tend to be pretty down to earth and friendly. I spend Memorial Day in Lincoln County (Caliente)for their "Homecoming" myself. It's always nice to get back to family roots and un wind from the hectic surroundings of Las Vegas.