PDA

View Full Version : Altoona, Pillar Rock, Washington

Fairlane500
05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know what the current reains of Altoona and Pillar Rock along the Columbia River are? I would like to know whether they are worth visiting on my next journey down that way.

I would also be grateful to find out what happedned to the quarantine station at Knappton Washington, and what the strange boat washed up along the river is.

NW Explorer
12-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Hello Fairlane500,

I am new to the site but I did make the drive to the end of the road back in 1994 and actually visited with the owners of the furthest Cannery Warehouse. The old warehouses ( 2 ) have been written about in the Astoria Newspaper and their fate was undecided as of my visit back then. It is worth the drive just to see the backroad and then the waterfront along the road. The warehouse at the end of the road is owned by the folks that live across the road. I am not sure about the warehouse that you come to first. Be friendly, take time to listen to the history, and as always leave on good terms...lol. I know your post was quite some time back so I hope you made the trip. The boat at Knappton has been there for many years and I think someone lives in it but it is definately not pretty.

Scott in Vancouver