PDA

View Full Version : Elkhorn Mt

hikerrob
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Just got back from a ghost towning trip to Montana where i finaly got a chance to visit the legendary town of Elkhorn.Im sad to report that Elkhorn no longer deserves it`s classic status.
To begin with, many of the building pictured in the standard texts no longer exist ,and most of the ones that do have been turned into vaction cabins, along with modern additions and garish colors. some empty lots have mobile homes on them. Buildings have been removed to make way for a couple of "trophy" homes.No tresspassing and keep out signs abound.
A sign at the entrance spells out the rules for you,you are allowed on main street and nowhere else,the town is completly privately owned except for the state park ,which consists of only two buildings:the fraternal hall and the adjacent store.
The ghost town atmosphere is nil what with four wheelers running around every where and barking dogs.The property accross from the fraternal hall even has a derelect 80s volvo up on blocks!
Lastly the inside of the fraternal hall is a discrace,graffiti covers the walls from top to bottom, along with trash strewn about.
It would be an understatment to say i was dissapointed. rob

Flatiron
05-31-2005, 04:32 PM
hikerrob...............Sorry to hear about Elkhorn, Mt. Did you get a chance to visit Garnet? If not, I think you would have enjoyed visiting Garnet. I haven't been there in 6-7 years, but believe it is now owned by the state, and doubt you'll see any Volvo's on jack stands.

hikerrob
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
was there yesterday,camped at coloma.

Flatiron
06-01-2005, 05:05 AM
hikerrob..........If you have time and are still in the area, you may want to check out Granite. It's SW of Phillipsburg and has a few buidings still standing, and has an awesome view. It's also a nice ride to head over Skalkaho Pass to the Bitterroot Valley after visiting P'Burg, and Granite. That's my old stompin' grounds, and kinda miss it at times.

hikerrob
06-01-2005, 06:28 PM
I had a busy weekend .I left Elkhorn sunday morning and headed to Mammoth and found the same thing that I found at Elkhorn,historic buildings razed to make way for vacation cabins,though the horse run cattle drives along the road were cool. From there i went to Granite ,which was worth seeing.I agree the views were spectacular.From there i went to Garnet and for a while had the place to myself . I think the highlight of my weekend was on saturday when i went to Comet,this is a ghost town worth seeing. It had all the things you look for , completly deserted(one caretakers home)lots of abandoned buildings , doors and siding banging with the wind,very ghostly.rob