PDA

View Full Version : new in utah

sweetlilrednek
06-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Hello,
I'm a new ghost towner and i wnat to find some really fun ones to drag (as my kids would put it) my kids around to that are close. I live in the Salt Lake City area and if anyone has any ideas and directions I would like to hear them. :D Thank you.

deshawn70
06-06-2005, 09:11 AM
If you go the the main page of ghosttowns.com, at the top of the page you can select what state you are interested in (Utah for you, as an example) then click on nearby counties. I noticed there are a few in Box Elder county (Ghost towns have the blue dots indicating the town). They won't give you exact directions of how to get there (because of idiots who will deface them) but a little research and a topographical map does wonders for me. Hope this helps some! :)

old judge
06-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Redneck: Couple of thoughts....Try Utah Ghost Town Books from the main page at this site. Several are listed and available in SLC..If a particular GT interests you, run it through Search on this site and see if there are posts and/or pictures that prove helpful to you....An appeal to Rachel (Ghost Town Huntress) might also be fruitful. Old Judge

utah-ghost
07-25-2005, 03:24 PM
There really aren't too many good ghost towns left around Salt Lake.

I'd just head out to Frisco right off the bat. It's the best the Utah has to offer, and it's going downhill fast so you had better get to it soon. The first time I went there was in 1979 and it's changed a lot since then.

If you need some direction and or pictures email me directly.

ghost_town_huntress
07-26-2005, 10:25 AM
There was a huge fire out by Frisco just about a week and a half ago; I'm wondering if it got Frisco at all. I sure hope it didn't!

ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

old judge
07-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Sego's not too close, but it's one of my favorites. The road in is a little bumpy but OK for 2wd in good weather. Also great Petroglyphs nearby. OJ

ghamilton
08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Back in Ut a couple weeks ago,but no time for an expidition.Cute little redneck lady,since you admit to being in Riverton,I'd jus'take off down Redwood Rd.Turn West at the sign for Cedar Fort.Stop and drive through a couple streets for a Ut redneck experience.Hopefully you ignored the Eagle Mt.signs.My wife wants to buy a house there,I want to stay in VA.Who will win?Anyway,keep on Going,stop at Camp Floyd,be sure to visit the lonely army cemetary.Continue on around the mountain.Take the road up to the Mercur gate.Hopefully the visitor ctr.is still open.It was worth a visit.Mercur was a big town at one time.When I first saw it about '68,it was a real great place to explore,but you can't get to it any more unless you hike ove the hills and avoid the security.But I hear NOTHING is left.The real purpose of the travel brochure is to encourage you to take the nxt.road up to Ophir.The listing will tell you why.The beauty of the canyon is worth a trip,but there are a lot of old bldgs.Again it was REALLY something 35 years ago,when there was only one cranky part time resident.One guy mentioned Sego.You got to prepare for that one.One memorable event in the late spring of '69,I made the trip up the old railtoad bed,through Manning to Mercur.Those were the days.Made it (barely) in a Corvair.Too stupid to know I was a moron.

Mikejts
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I have pictures of Frisco and Sego on my web site. The pictures were taken in January of this year so you can get and idea of what you would see.

Frisco - http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/frisco_utah.htm

Sego - http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/sego_utah.htm

ghostrider
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
hi there sweetlilredneck.....tons a ghosttowns all over utah worth seein.......im down that way a lot explorin.......e-mail me and if ya want ill take ya on a ghost town expedition.......i have 4x4 and the locations to hundreds of utah ghosts and mines......really cool to explore......

ghostrider
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
.......... :confused:
hi there sweetlilredneck.....tons a ghosttowns all over utah worth seein.......im down that way a lot explorin.......e-mail me and if ya want ill take ya on a ghost town expedition.......i have 4x4 and the locations to hundreds of utah ghosts and mines......really cool to explore......

one_bad_rover
08-23-2005, 07:04 AM
If your in Riverton, you are a short hop skip and jump away from quite a few nice ghost towns. Head out towards cedar fort, when you get to Five mile pass, head west then south (there is a cut off right as the road turns to the north, you go west for a 1/4 mile then head south) The road is easy except for a few sandy spots, a little momentum should take you right through. Keep going for about 20-25 minutes till you come to a fence on the east side of the road, there is a gate that you can open there, go through the gate and keep heading east, it will wind you up a neat little canyon with a pretty easy road. Top of that canyon is nice little town. Oh and if you are willing, right before the townsite is what looks like a river run off, its actually a road too... cuts to the south... follow that up to some more old, nice diggings, geodes, and stalagtites all over in the mines up there, but watch your step there are some steep vertical shafts. Need more info, just email.
(btw.. IMHO, Frisco is not the best in Utah, I would say its one of the worst, not much left and everyone knows about it, not uncommon to have a few people up there while you are wandering about. The mines are nice, but you need rope to get anywhere good... ) Sego is still pretty nice if you get off the beaten trail, there is a nice cabin with a mine entrance under it in the canyon behind the main rock standing building.

old judge
08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Corey: Where's that little town you describe from the old Pony Express Route near Five Mile Pass? I'm havin' trouble with your directions from that point. Looks kinda bumpy to me. OJ

one_bad_rover
08-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Its Topliff, thanks to the info from GT Bob. Roads out there are all pretty simple until you get into the canyon. I wouldnt attempt the side road unless you have a good 4wd that doesnt mind a little pinstriping and a nice angle to drive on.... ;) if you need more help finding it, lmk!!

http://www.goldrushexpeditions.com/Topliff%20and%20the%20Geode%20Cave.htm

Mikejts
02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I recieved this note from a gentleman in Utah. Can anyone help me answer his question? Read below. If you have an answer let me know and I will forward to him. I left his name and email off on purpose. THANKS

My name is XXXXX and I live in Cedar City, Utah about 70 miles from the ghost town of Frisco. While walking around Frisco over the Presidentís Day weekend I discovered the Frisco cemetery and am interested in obtaining more information about it. Iím President of a Catholic menís group (Knights f Columbus) in Cedar City and am thinking that cleaning the cemetery up would make a good service project for our group, but would like more information on how many people are buried there and if possible their names. A plat of grave locations and names would be most helpful. Iíve contacted the Utah State Historical Society, but all they can tell me is that there is a cemetery, which I already know, and that they record 28 people buried there. Do you have any more specific information about the cemetery or know who may?

cripple19
05-20-2006, 03:56 PM
With so many Ghost towns in Utah has anyone heard of, or does anyone know where the town of Galluli (sp?) was located? Its was supposedly in the Carbon/Emery County area. I was born and raised in that area and a friend in Salt Lake City asked me about it. I am 40 and it kinda rang a bell. I asked my father who is 87 and he says he remembers hearing it but can't place it either. My friend's grandfather was born there so I would like to help her locate it. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. I am brand new here. I love this site!!! :rolleyes:

ghost_town_huntress
05-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I lived in Emery County for a few years but haven't heard of this place. But then I didn't get into southern Emery County much; I just stayed in the northern part by Ferron, Castle Dale and Huntington.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com