PDA

View Full Version : SASCO - Arizona

Watt Noise
06-15-2005, 03:23 PM
I finally had a chance to get to another town for some aerial pics - SASCO... The last one was March posted here at GT.com "Pantano Station - Arizona"...

I have already posted the SASCO photos and commentary in an aerial photography forum at this address:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382673

I also put ghosttowns.com with a quote in that post... Several have commented that they've come over to visit GT.com...

I figured by linking here, it would save GT some bandwidth plus the other forum has a little more space to have larger images and is on-topic for them as well...

I hope all of this is OK with GT.com... If not, please, let me know... I will edit either or both posts as needed...

My website has also been updated, explains the type of aerial photography I do (miniature aircraft), and has some of the large images of Pantano Station in the "Newest Photos Gallery":

WattNoise.com (http://WattNoise.com)

Hope you enjoy...

Watt Noise?
Kevin

SuzukiTom
06-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Nice aerial photos. Quite a few visible remains off in the bushes that most would miss.

I wish you could have gotten some pictures of the south side of the main road (which is built on the original railroad bed), since that was where the residential part of the town was. The street alignments should still show up well.

These may be the last photos showing anything significant, since this whole area is up for massive suburban development soon. :(

Tom H.

Watt Noise
06-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Yes - unfortunately, the signs are up at the Red Rock freeway exit for the new development... I did not know about the S side of the road - I was kind of wondering where the "town" was... I had thought it was between the smelter and the graveyard, but saw no signs of it in the aerial pictures of that area... The spotter I had with me, Michael, really wanted to go back again sometime soon and get some more pics... Maybe, I can put SASCO back on the top of my list to investigate that more... It is easy to get to and a great place to fly!... I appreciate the info, Tom...

Kevin

Flatiron
06-16-2005, 04:40 AM
Where the heck is SASCO ? Is it hear Tucson, or NW of it? Please fill me in....Thanks

Watt Noise
06-16-2005, 06:30 AM
SASCO is NW of Tucson... The most direct route is to take the Red Rock exit south of Picacho Peak on I-10... The "main" street in Red Rock is SASCO Road heading west... At the base of the foothills in the distance (approximately 5 miles) is SASCO... There are two significant irrigation ditches that run across this road though... When I first tried to go in mid-April, they were not passable in a passenger car... With it hotter and drier now, they would have been passable with a passenger car even though we did have 4W-drive this time to be on the safe side... GT's interactive map shows it in Pinal county...

Kevin

old judge
06-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Flatiron: Try GNIS. You'll like it. Mike

GaryB
06-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Cool site. I never would have thought anyone was doing aerial photo's with an R/C plane :)

coling
11-19-2005, 08:40 PM
I was at Sasco today for the first time in two years.
I was happy that virtually nothing had changed at the townsite.
Does anyone know where a map of the townsite exists online?

Pulte is currently in the early stages of building a subdivision in the area. I contacted a rep of Pulte who said that their development is completely on the other side of the Santa Cruz, on the farmland in Red Rock, and that they do not own the Sasco site.
Sasco and the La Osa Ranch was owned by George Johnson of Chandler, who currently has two impending lawsuits by the feds for destruction of protected Hohokham artifacts, illegally razing federal land, causing damage to the Santa Cruz, and causing an outbreak of a blindness-causing mite amongst a herd of bighorn sheep in the Silverbell Mountains through negligence in keeping his own sheep.
In late '04, Pinal County rejected Johnson's "master planned" sprawl city. He sold it off soon after, and it is now owned by Diamond Ventures out of Scottsdale.
This is one of the most interesting but endangered townsites in the country. It is in great condition despite grafitti and litter. However, development is encroaching, and because it poses a liability towards the ownership, it may be either fenced off or levelled in the next five years.

The easiest route to Sasco (via Red Rock) is actually blocked by the Santa Cruz River, which currently flows pretty strongly at this point, even when there has been a long period without rain, mostly due to run-off from the Roger Road Wastewater Treatment facility (yummy). I wouldn't cross it without a 4x4 as the entire road is covered, and there is no concrete underneath for traction.
The easiest way in is via Trico Road to Silverbell Road. The unpaved portion is very good quality, with a short section near the Sasco Road junction that's very gravelly because of a nearby wash. It's also a beautiful drive.
The other alternative is Silverbell Road around the mine, which takes at least an hour, and can't (or at least shouldn't) be done in a passenger car, but can be done with a high-clearance 4x2.

Watt Noise
11-27-2005, 10:56 AM
This is the Google map to SASCO... You have to pan to the left along SASCO road from the Red Rock/I-10 intersection... The "Hybrid" button and zoom-in ("+" sign) will show you the SASCO site AND the old town's roads!... Just look for the large, dark black area in the satellite photo to find SASCO...

http://maps.google.com/?sll=32.57611,-111.325&spn=0.05,0.05

Kevin

mad57ford
09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I do have photos of Sasco smelter and town when it was running. If you would like to see them you can email me at.

mad57ford@hotmail.com

JerryRHamby
09-30-2006, 08:43 AM
:confused: I attempted to visit SASCO on Sept 25 '06 and was fearful the Santa Cruz River was too deep. I was driving an F-150 pickup. I am handicapped and being stuck was an intimidating thought. Anyone know if I could've should've would've made it?? I will try again. THANKS
SASCO is NW of Tucson... The most direct route is to take the Red Rock exit south of Picacho Peak on I-10... The "main" street in Red Rock is SASCO Road heading west... At the base of the foothills in the distance (approximately 5 miles) is SASCO... There are two significant irrigation ditches that run across this road though... When I first tried to go in mid-April, they were not passable in a passenger car... With it hotter and drier now, they would have been passable with a passenger car even though we did have 4W-drive this time to be on the safe side... GT's interactive map shows it in Pinal county...

Kevin

brian10x
09-30-2006, 11:40 AM
:confused: I attempted to visit SASCO on Sept 25 '06 and was fearful the Santa Cruz River was too deep. I was driving an F-150 pickup. I am handicapped and being stuck was an intimidating thought. Anyone know if I could've should've would've made it?? I will try again. THANKS

I've crossed it when it was plenty high in my Baja Bug. It was a little slippery, but not at all that bad.

If I were handicapped, that might be enough to change my mind, though.

Watt Noise
10-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Where else are you supposed to go on Friday the 13th?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582819

:D
Kevin

brian10x
10-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Where else are you supposed to go on Friday the 13th?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582819

:D
Kevin

I didn't know SASCO had a "spooky" reputation. I'llhave to go back soon, I like that kind of stuff mixed in with my GT travels.

Watt Noise
10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I didn't know SASCO had a "spooky" reputation. I'llhave to go back soon, I like that kind of stuff mixed in with my GT travels.
I just posted my "experience" over there on the thread I linked... Disclaimer: Now I had just gotten done flying for the past 45 minutes, and even though it was not hot, it was very dry... I had just downed about 1/4 liter of water and was probably a bit dehydrated, so I can't say that I was in "tip-top" form when this occurred...

I just think it was fun to have something different happen on this excursion - halucination or not - LOL... :D

brian10x
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
I just posted my "experience" over there on the thread I linked... Disclaimer: Now I had just gotten done flying for the past 45 minutes, and even though it was not hot, it was very dry... I had just downed about 1/4 liter of water and was probably a bit dehydrated, so I can't say that I was in "tip-top" form when this occurred...

I just think it was fun to have something different happen on this excursion - halucination or not - LOL... :D

BTW Watt, next attempt at BD in a few weeks. I'm keeping your offer in mind. If I survive, that is...

Watt Noise
10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
BTW Watt, next attempt at BD in a few weeks. I'm keeping your offer in mind. If I survive, that is...
Sounds fine... Let me know... I'll probably be unavailable 11/8 - 11/11, but that's all I have scheduled... Kevin

Snuf_Film
09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Hello all. I wanted to post a few of my photos from Sasco. Enjoy!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Snuf13/Sasco%20-%20AZ/FactoryFoundationClose.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Snuf13/Sasco%20-%20AZ/FactoryFoundation.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Snuf13/Sasco%20-%20AZ/Graveyard.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Snuf13/Sasco%20-%20AZ/JailHouse.jpg

Ghostdancer
09-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Good photos Snuf, my avatar photo that I use was taken at Sasco.

Snuf_Film
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks! Sasco is a cool place.

campp
09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
What is that top one, a mill foundation, I'm guessing?

bad bob
09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes they are good photos. Sorry, I just didn't care for the huge logo plastered on them. If it seems absolutely necessary to claim copyrights, I' ve seen much smaller and unobtrusive logos in one of the lower corners. :)

campp
09-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Agreed, FWIW, it's hard for this old man to see through that skull thing.
I quit copyrighting my train photos on the net years ago, because: A) no one really wants my photos, and B) The size and resolution of any photo presented here really cannot be used by anyone to make any money. Just my opinion.

Snuf_Film
09-10-2008, 04:33 PM
The watermark logo was added because I used these photos for business and needed them to be have the logo, I just posted what I had on Photobucket instead of digging out the CD I archived them to. Sorry if it offends anyone.

bad bob
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I sure didn't see anything that said anyone was "offended". Were you offended by the opinions/suggestions?

Mine was to drastically reduce logo size, and relocate it to an obscure lower corner. That's a permanent recommendation I'd make to ANYone, in ANY business. Steve gave his opinion on copyrights and pixel size, etc. No need for dueling pistols at 20 paces. They're only suggestions and opinions.
No big deal. :)

campp
09-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Yes, makes sense :)

Hey Snuf, over the last dozen years I helped a good friend put together 4 shorts and a feature-length film, all shot in Arizona. I think he got some awards, not sure about all that. I was the Location Manger :) :) :), besides my other two jobs. I was the Key Grip and the did the Models. What a blast! Looking back on it all, it was one of the funnest times of my life. Lots and lots of fun and a wee little bit of glory!

Snuf_Film
09-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I sure didn't see anything that said anyone was "offended". Were you offended by the opinions/suggestions?

Mine was to drastically reduce logo size, and relocate it to an obscure lower corner. That's a permanent recommendation I'd make to ANYone, in ANY business. Steve gave his opinion on copyrights and pixel size, etc. No need for dueling pistols at 20 paces. They're only suggestions and opinions.
No big deal. :)

Sorry, you know how hard it is sometimes on the net to get the meaning behind the words. : )

Yes, makes sense :)

Hey Snuf, over the last dozen years I helped a good friend put together 4 shorts and a feature-length film, all shot in Arizona. I think he got some awards, not sure about all that. I was the Location Manger :) , besides my other two jobs. I was the Key Grip and the did the Models. What a blast! Looking back on it all, it was one of the funnest times of my life. Lots and lots of fun and a wee little bit of glory!

I was real disappointed we couldn't shoot in Sasco a few weeks ago. The rain was just too much of an issue. I think we're putting it off until next year now. :(

Joel
06-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Sasco can be driven to and hiked in very easily. I think the key to driving in is to avoid the Red Rock crossing of the Santa Cruz. You can hike across it, but it is erratic thanks to a pumping station down stream. I can attest to it first hand going through it on foot many times and the water levels making no sense.

So, what are you looking for in Sasco?

Norman Johnson
06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Actually, I am not from the San Fernando Valley, but I am able to follow this as I have read extensively about the area and have been to Tucson twice on business (I built some cabinets for a FLR Foundation house there a number of years ago) and took time to explore. You guys keep making me want to head back out that way. NJ