PDA

View Full Version : Carrara Marble Finishing Mill, Navada -- BEWARE!

Mawhamba
06-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Didn't see this in the forums, but I'd just like to spread a caveat to those of you exploring western Nevada -- the ruins of Marble Finishing Mill north of the townsite of Carrara are inhabited by someone. Although this person was not present when I was exploring the ruins on Sunday, 19 June 2005, this individual left his homestead setup--a pup-tent supported by sticks with water bottles, and some clothes drying in the sun.

Although I'd like to think all Ghost Town hunters are aware of the many dangers present in skulking around places we think are abandoned, having grown up in the Mojave desert, I know that desert-rats living away from civilization do so for a very good reason--either they dislike people or they are running from something.

Please be careful when visiting this site. My companions and I enjoyed our trip to the site and I hope everyone who visits it enjoys it equally as much and stays safe.

Thanx!

- GJR -

Bob
06-23-2005, 12:55 PM
The townsite of Carrara is private land and it is up for sale. I'm not sure where you mean by the finishing mill which to the best of my knowledge was in the Carrara Townsite. They brought water down from Gold Center (Even had a fountain) and did what finishing they needed in the town before loading the Marble on the Las vegas and Tonopah RR (LV&T) and after the LV&T was removed, the marble was still loaded there but on a spur built by the Tonopah and Tidewater RR.

Since you noted the mill was north of Carrara, I wonder if you meant Elizalde. There are several 1930s white colored and moistly intact buildings associated with the Philipine financed Elizalde Cement Company plant that was built pre WWII and never amounted to much. They are located about a mile toward Beatty off 95 and half a mile up a dirt road. Those buildings have nothing to do with Carrara and I suspect anyone there is probably a squatter. If so, give the desert a couple weeks to heat up and I bet the problem will relocate to the trees along the Amargosa just below Beatty.

Mawhamba
06-23-2005, 09:50 PM
My mistake -- I was at the ruins of the Elizalde Cement Company. When I was in Rhyolite, later in the day, the caretaker mentioned that the Cement Co. was a Philipino company established on land exchanged for Subic Bay -- can anyone elaborate on this?

- GJR -

Bob
06-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Actually it has been difficult to find confirmable information on Elizalde. I’ve heard that the money had come from enterprise around Subic but not an exchange of land but haven’t been able to confirm anything other than “Philippine Investors”. The few facts I have suggest that the investors had more enthusiasm than capital and the venture had failed before the conditions that lead to Pearl Harbor and WWII dominated Philippine concerns. I’ve heard everything from the market was too far away, labor was to expensive, and the quality of the cement, like the marble at Carrara, was inferior but I suspect that there is a bit of truth in all. I’m sure production costs, transportation costs (The nearest real market for their products was Los Angeles), and general economy played the main reason. While we had begun to turn the corner on the worst depression in world history, unemployment was still high and only Roosevelt’s massive federal efforts were getting people working in things like the CCC and WPA but these efforts hadn’t stirred investor confidence and new private construction (The really profitable market for Elizalde’s products) still lagged. Really it took events in Europe and the Pacific to get us out of the over a decade of depression and things did start jumping (economically) till December 8th, 1941, several years after the Elizalde Cement Company failed. I do hope others can elaborate and like you, would welcome any potential sources of enlightenment on Elizalde and the fate of the Elizalde Cement Company.

Stormy
07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey all! Was doing a google search on Carrara and came across this post & forum about Carrara being inhabited. I live in Montana so have been to about every "ghost town" here & in the surrounding states so while visiting my daughter in Vegas last week, her & her boyfriend took me on a day trip to see a few bordering Death Valley.

We passed Carrara on our way up but on the way home the sun was just setting and we thought that'd make some great photos with those strange remains at Carrara. They are mostly more industrial so have left some interestingly different forms of town remains.

I've never been scared in my life of any place like this but I felt uneasy from the get go. I just passed it off as the sun setting in a weird surrounding. When we rounded a corner at the back side of the Finishing Mill area there was just a corner of a building still standing. There we found a clothsline with a couple rags hanging from it, some bedding, a new broom, fireplace grate, an old lidless cooler containing water bottles and some other odds and ends. It felt as if this person had heard us and was hiding in the bushes watching us and waiting for us to leave. We didn't touch a thing and proceeded to head towards the car to get the heck outta there. We'd ALL gotten the same creepy feeling.

If that weren't enough... on the way back to the car we passed a ground level foundation that had one small portion of wall still standing upon which a crucified jesus was painted on a graffitied cross. There were fire pits and some other items also. If it weren't for the fact we all independently came up with the same thoughts and feelings I'd of poo pooed myself, but it felt like some Cult was using it for some ritual or other sinister purpose. It hit all 3 of us that way and we aren't the type of people to let our imaginations run away with us.

When we first got there we'd found all sorts of crap making it apparent that kids obviously, often, use it as a party site. But this set-up up above that area was just spooky people. And at sunset it was downright creepy as it gets. We couldn't get out of there fast enough and we had a firearm in the car stashed for protection!!!

Please... if you or any one else you know is planning a trip that way tell them it might be in their best interest to skip Carrara. There's just no use putting yourselves in possible harms way up there. And I'd suggest if you do go... go with a group and not at or after sunset!!!

Imagine my surprise though to come across this other post about someone else finding an inhabitant there on a google search. Seems I'd only been there about a week, last Thursday, after poster, Mawhamba.

OK all!! You've been warned!! Twice!!

Stormy

Bob
07-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm heading up to Tonopah Wednesday to work a 4 day Off-Road race (thursday - through Sunday) and will check out Carrara and confirm this. If I don't find anyone at Carrara, I'll swing by Elizalde. If there is a squatter, I'll sic the law on em if you'd like.

Mawhamba
07-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi Stormy --

I take it this (http://www.mawhamba.net/galleries/displayimage.php?album=119&pos=2) was the crucified Jesus what you were talking about. I must admit, the ruins of the cement company were rather unnerving. My brother and I were there about midday a few weeks back and it was creepy then. I can but imagine what it was like as day was fading away into night. While I was exploring the ruins and snapping pictures, I could have sworn I saw movement in the brush several times -- I want to say it was white, like a white/off-white shirt. It was gone before I turned my full attention to it, however. This happened about three times before I finally decided to move on to Rhyolite.

I do concur, however, traveling in a group is highly advisable for any Ghost Town/ruins search (though this weekend I was all by myself amongst thousands of acres of Nebraskan corn) as GT hunting, while hella fun, can also be very dangerous. Not sure if this individual at Elizalde was so much a threat, however, as he/she kept their distance and never bothered us. Creep factor aside, this may simply be harmless homeless person -- it can't hurt to be vigilant, nevertheless.

- GJR -

GaryB
07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
This is one reason why I always have protection with me when out and about. I've been to many remote and abandoned places where an unsuspected visitor is very unwelcome. I usually always have at least one other occupant as well. More than likely if there was a person about, they were more afraid of you than you of them. Especially since they never approached you. Last thing a hermit wants is some gun nut blasting him for the fun of it.

Dezdan
07-04-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm heading up to Tonopah Wednesday to work a 4 day Off-Road race (thursday - through Sunday) and will check out Carrara and confirm this. If I don't find anyone at Carrara, I'll swing by Elizalde. If there is a squatter, I'll sic the law on em if you'd like.Hey Bob, I would be interested in hearing a report of your findings so I (or you) can pass it on to users at my website.

Thanks,
~Dan

Bob
07-05-2005, 06:46 AM
I suspect it is as GaryB stated, a harmless hermit or other down on their luck person who was more distressed to have visitors and doesn't pose a threat. I'd not worry such a person. What I fink on real quick is vandals and even worse Meth Lab type operations. Just found out I have to be near Silver Peak at :6:00 AM on Thursday and may not get to leave Vegas till THursday about Midnight so it may be Sunday afternoon before I can check it out. If there is a standing building then it is Elizalde. Dan drop me an email next week.

Mawhamba
07-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Perhaps I didn't explore the West enough during the 20 years I lived in California, but I've noticed something here in Nebraska -- the public buildings of Ghost Towns here in Nebraska are often made into private residences. For example, Poole, Nebraska (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ne/poole.html) has passed on. The town is effectively dead -- from the defunct baseball fields, to the crumbling sidewalks. Nevertheless, the like 5 people that still haunt the place have made the old bank and school (a two story brick building) into private residences--weird. The Elizalde "squatter", for want of a better term, is the only such inhabitant I've seen in the West. I remember desert squaters often setting up trailers/tents/shacks in the middle of the desert.

Any thoughts?

deshawn70
07-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I was visiting the site of Bullion City in Idaho this past weekend and there was an old sheep wagon with the back end of a pickup hooked to it. There was also a horse tied up nearby. There was just me and my fiance so we just avoided the wagon and looked around the site. It didn't hit me then just how dangerous a situation that could have been. I don't know if the person wasn't there or just avoiding us. I am a relatively new GTer so this post is much appreciated about this subject.

old judge
07-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Deshawn: The world that holds most of the Ghost towns on this site is the same world we live in at home. Most folks are fine and some are better left alone or avoided. The problem you and I are faced with in GT, Namethestate, is some lack of familiarity with the area folks (and them with us). But, more important to me, is the lack of contact with the outside world. You're often on your own. For me, from my little world, and with my background, that is always new, somewhat of concern, and always in the back of my feeble mind. OJ

Bob
07-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Stopped by both Elizalde and Carrara on my way back from the race in Tonopah. No evidence of a squatter remains at the Cement Company buildings. If I was setting up, I nest in the bottom floor of the main office building first building you come to going up the road but nothing. I rooted around the remains of the drying kilns and other concrete structures there. I let my dog sniff around but the squatter or any evidence was no where to be found. I’ll swing by next month when I return to Tonopah for a BLM Resource Advisory Council meeting on a weekday just to be sure this “clever” squatter doesn’t depart during the weekend when 90+% of the visitation occurs. Other than the “for sale” sign, nothing much has changed at Carrara. Wanted to go on up to the actual mine, then over to Hollywood townsite but it was hot, I was tired and dusty and decided to save that for another day. I suspect your squatter was just a transient and has already been encouraged to move on.. The best I can determine is as long as you don’t nest in the same place on non-special designated public land (like Elizalde is) for over two consecutive weeks, the “squatter” was breaking no laws., The BLM ranger I talked to noted that unless it is an Area of Environmental Concern (ACEC) which can include Cultural concerns, all he would do is note occupation and come back in 14 days before even bothering such a person. Anyhow, nothing much happening at either Elizalde or Carrara other than it is dry and hot.

Stormy
07-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Yup Mawhamba that's the cross I was talking about.

Didn't you get a very unnerving feeling while standing near that spot?

Just to be sure now, is that the actual Carrara town location, the cement company ruins or is that this Elizalde you folks are also referring you?

I'm pretty confused now after reading all these posts.

Mawhamba... there is a two story square structure right when you pull up to that location. It has a weird basement with a vault looking thing in it. What in the heck is that building?

And what was up with those round holes just above in the other ruins in those cement walls left standing? They have rebar sticking out of them & look quite strange.

Sorry... I'd post a photo or two but those are still in my camera.

Do you know what I'm referring to?
It's a bit off the highway toward the hills. There's a road that continues up to the hills from there. The driveway to that location is interesting. It's like they made it so you could drive up and around the corner, then back up and into that one long ruins area, then head straight back out down a parallel lane to the one we drove up on.

That place is just weird all round!!!!

Stormy

Stormy
07-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Stopped by both Elizalde and Carrara on my way back from the race in Tonopah. No evidence of a squatter remains at the Cement Company buildings. If I was setting up, I nest in the bottom floor of the main office building first building you come to going up the road but nothing. I rooted around the remains of the drying kilns and other concrete structures there. I let my dog sniff around but the squatter or any evidence was no where to be found.
Where we found evidence of the occupant was not down below in that first building's basement but way up in the back at the top. I'm guessing those are the drying kilns (?) you are referring to. Back behind those buildings with the curved doorways... way up in there. Front and side wall of the place was intact, but the back side walls were gone. He/she was tucked in the corner of that remains. It most likely was a harmless transient but ya just gotta be safe these days. Having grown up and lived all these years in Montana has made me such a trusting soul. I've felt so safe everywhere here I need to remind myself if I'm in other parts of the country/world to think about things like this more. We had occassional weirdos but ya knew who & where they were or ran 'em off most likely.

Sadly however this is changing some..... as this lastest event with the murdered family & kidnapped kids by this lunatic sicko child molester shows..... Idaho, MT and these states also make good hiding places for perverts and the like on the lam. As Dylan said; the times they are a changin'!!

Stormy

Bob
07-13-2005, 06:17 AM
The dog I and I walked up around the upper rounded opening type structures as well. He whizzed on a couple corners leaving more trace than I could find of others. :)
Stormy – You know I too was of the opinion that “times are changing” but the older I get, the more I realize there always sickos and dangerous people around so it is wise to keep that in the back of your mind but while being alert I don’t let concerns ruin my enjoyment of life. If you ever have the time, spend an afternoon reading any “world news” oriented newspaper from 100 years ago. Tonopah around 1910 was a very cosmopolitan community and their newspaper carried stories from across the nation and world. While rooting out information about lesser known mining camps in the vicinity, I encountered horrific stories of evilness. Charlie Manson’s Crew pale in comparison to people who “to punish a town” bar the doors on the local school and torch it while school is in session and other horrific things. I didn’t dwell on these subjects but it gave me new instinct into the character of some inhabitants no matter what the era.

Dezdan
07-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey Bob,

Sorry I didn't drop you an email, I was out of town in the sticks from Wednesday night till Monday evening ghosttowning in NorCal and I am just now getting settled back in, if you know what I mean. I will drop you an email here in a few, just to say hi; god knows I probably owe you more then one email.

Thanks for your report on Carrara, sounds like whoever was there has since moved on. Besides, who would want to 'stay' there when it is 115 out?

Thanks,
~Dan

GaryB
07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey Bob,

Besides, who would want to 'stay' there when it is 115 out?

Thanks,
~Dan
115*? Where? That'd be a break right now. I really need to get a desk job :mad:

Dezdan
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
115*? Where? That'd be a break right now. I really need to get a desk job :mad:Heh, no kidding! I just used 115 degrees as an example of the average temperature in the area. I think Beatty reached 108 today. Death Valley reached 124 degrees and where I live in the Coachella Valley it reached 120 degrees. The heat is on!

~Dan

Flatiron
07-14-2005, 03:42 AM
I just came thru Parker, Az. yesterday, and heard on the local radio station 3 times."highs near the River (Colorado) from 120 to 125! Geez Louise! I didn't know it got that hot near Parker. It sure felt good to get back to the High Sierras............

Flatiron
07-14-2005, 03:56 AM
Stormy...........I don't know where you are or were in Mt., but I'm sure you remember the Unibomber and his hideout near Lincoln, Mt. I was living in the Bitterroot at the time, but used to go over to Lincoln fairly often, to help out with the Race to the Sky dogsled competition. I remember some of the locals talking about some of the weirdos moving into the area.I guess the Unibomber was one of them. During my years there, I had more than one encounter with hermits/transients staked out on abandoned mnining property or millsites. I guess ,as Bob says, there's crackpots in most places, but I'm still surprised when I encounter somebody. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth............

Mawhamba
07-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Yup Mawhamba that's the cross I was talking about.

Didn't you get a very unnerving feeling while standing near that spot?

Just to be sure now, is that the actual Carrara town location, the cement company ruins or is that this Elizalde you folks are also referring you?

I'm pretty confused now after reading all these posts.

Mawhamba... there is a two story square structure right when you pull up to that location. It has a weird basement with a vault looking thing in it. What in the heck is that building?

And what was up with those round holes just above in the other ruins in those cement walls left standing? They have rebar sticking out of them & look quite strange.

Sorry... I'd post a photo or two but those are still in my camera.

Do you know what I'm referring to?
It's a bit off the highway toward the hills. There's a road that continues up to the hills from there. The driveway to that location is interesting. It's like they made it so you could drive up and around the corner, then back up and into that one long ruins area, then head straight back out down a parallel lane to the one we drove up on.

That place is just weird all round!!!!

Stormy

Honestly, I was a bit unnerved at the whole site, even before I saw the squatter's camp. It was just odd -- skeletons of buildings sitting alone in the hot, windy Nevada desert.

The cross, from my understanding, and all the buildings in the immediate vicinity are part of the ruins of the Elizalde cement co -- Yet another Bob cleared that up for me some time ago -- Carrara is a bit further South.

I would assume the two story structure at the site was either barracks or, more likely, an office building.

That driveway you mention -- I wonder if it's a rail grade and not so much a driveway as it is very narrow -- not too sure, I can't find much history re: the Elizalde Cement Co. The caretaker at Rhyolite (a friendly and very informative fellow) informed me that the ruins were part of a land swap made between the US Government and the Phillipine Goverment in exchange for the land that eventually became Subic Bay -- haven't been able to verify that, though.

Mawhamba
07-14-2005, 04:19 PM
I just came thru Parker, Az. yesterday, and heard on the local radio station 3 times."highs near the River (Colorado) from 120 to 125! Geez Louise! I didn't know it got that hot near Parker. It sure felt good to get back to the High Sierras............

Gentlemen, here's something to keep in mind: I suppose I shouldn't be crying about our wicked Omaha weather -- low 90s with about 90% humidity. Believe me, though, 125 F in dry weather is so much more tolerable than 90 in wet weather -- this was made all too apparent to me last summer when I drove back to the great Mojave from the Great Plains -- I left 85F w/95% humidity and it was terrible. The next day I stopped in Baker and the weather was awesome, despite the fact that the thermometer was at 124F.

Stormy
07-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Stormy...........I don't know where you are or were in Mt., but I'm sure you remember the Unibomber and his hideout near Lincoln, Mt. .........
Good 'ol Ted!!
Before he got too wacko he used to hang out at the same bar we did when we partied in Lincoln.
Didn't know him per se'.... but did know him by sight & to have a beer with.

Lincoln had a Blue Grass Festival every year that was a must!!!

He was a bit off back then but so are alot of semi-recluse folks from MT.
I've personally never claimed "normal" in my self-description!!!
I was born in Great Falls, graduated in Conrad and lived most summers near Augusta in my teens & early twenties. I'm 45 now so you do the math 8-} .

I really was quite shocked when I first heard ol Ted was the UNIBOMBER.
He never came off as being as intelligent as he apparently is/was.

Stormy

Flatiron
07-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Stormy............That's quite the story about good ol' Ted. You didn't happen to hang out at the 7UP club, by any chance? I was in Lewistown for awhile, and really liked it there, but don't really like winters anymore, so we live an endless summer now. I did get to see the "caravan" with good ol' Ted's cabin on a flat bed trailer, heading for Sacramento. Wasn't that exciting..........

Rockcrusher
07-14-2005, 11:40 PM
. . . That driveway you mention -- I wonder if it's a rail grade and not so much a driveway as it is very narrow -- not too sure, I can't find much history re: the Elizalde Cement Co. The caretaker at Rhyolite (a friendly and very informative fellow) informed me that the ruins were part of a land swap made between the US Government and the Phillipine Goverment in exchange for the land that eventually became Subic Bay -- haven't been able to verify that, though.
There was a railroad into Carrara but I can't remember if it ran into the Elizalde Cement Plant. I'll dig thru my "stuff" and see what I can find

As for the land swap thing, the Subic Bay Naval Station was originally the Spanish Naval Garrison which we "inherited" in 1898. The only significant land swap I'm aware of was when we traded Naval Air Station Sangley Point at Cavite for half of the real estate that NAS Cubi point was built on. The other half was built by Naval Construction Batallions (SeaBees)

As for the Elizalde Cement Plant, it was started by the extremely wealthy Elizalde family at a time when the Philipines was a commonwealth of the U.S. and badly in need of building materials such as cement. The operation turned out to be a logistical nightmare so the Elizalde family conglomerate shut it down but retained an option to restart at a later date. Then, along came WWII . . . Well, you all know the rest of the story.

Stormy
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Stormy............ You didn't happen to hang out at the 7UP club, by any chance? I was in Lewistown for awhile, and really liked it there, but don't really like winters anymore, so we live an endless summer now. ..........
Gads that sounds awfully familiar but nothing is registering for sure at the moment on the 7UP Club. When in Lewistown we'd usually end up at the Montana Tavern on main. Big Spring Creek runs for about 3 blocks underneath Lewistown. At the Montana Tavern they have a plexi-glass covered box where you can look down into the creek at the Gigantic fish below.

Back "in the day" they had a see through dance floor over the creek so it was WAY COOL !!!
Liability and/or the cost of upkeep must have caught up with them as there's only the viewing box now.

Dang... I really should know that 7UP Club thing!! Spent loads of time in the Lewistown area.

Just out of Lewistown there is a great hill-climbing spot, the Auto Motorcross and the only NDRA quarter mile drag strip in Montana (and for other miles & miles of states around).

Just last summer I took my mother north for a High School reunion in Glasgow. I drug her to every ghost town along the way. If any of you are ever in that area you really need to check out;

Maiden... In 1881 population grew to 6,000 people with most of the men living in tents along the creek. By 1883 there were 154 houses and stores. By 1888 the population had dwindled to 1,200 and by 1896 only 200 people were left. Later some of the buildings were moved to Lewistown and Kendall. In 1905 a fire destroyed the rest of the town leaving no reason to rebuild. Mostly destroyed by fire and never rebuilt but the area is GORGEOUS !! not far from there around the mountain is...

Giltedge... (mining town) a number of buildings still stand including a large, really something in it's day, house of ill repute. It is getting quite weathered now so I snagged small samples of what was left of the wall paper & flooring. Lord they must have been Gawdy in their prime!! Again, the surrounding country is breathtaking!!! There's a tiny jail just across the road. During 1900-1901 Gilt Edge was considered one of the best towns in the country. Gilt Edge reached its peak between 1908 and 1909. Calamity Jane, calling it her favorite, frequented Gilt Edge. On several occasions she spent time in their jail.

Kendall... Harry T. Kendall had built a cyanide mill, a house, a stable, and a boardinghouse for his forty employees by 1900. In 1920 the Barnes-King Development Company closed and the town died. Today only three stone buildings remain. Most of the old buildings collapsed because of the mine shafts below them.

Yogo Gulch... Not sure what buildings are still left but lots of activities & history out there. Yogo Gulch is the site of the famous mines which produced upwards of $10,000,000 worth of some of the most beautiful sapphires in the world. Jim Ettien sold the claim originally for a paltry $1,600. In 1952 the U.S. Geological Survey claimed the Yogo deposit to be the most important gem locality in the world. You can do some sapphire hunting out there too. Yogo Sapphires are a beautiful stunning blue color from very light to the much more desired deep deep dark blue.

And those are just in the very immediate area of Lewistown. ALL OF Montana is just ripe with great ghost towns & incredible history!! It's worth a trip out.

Stormy

Stormy
07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
That driveway you mention -- I wonder if it's a rail grade and not so much a driveway as it is very narrow -- not too sure, I can't find much history re: the Elizalde Cement Co. The caretaker at Rhyolite (a friendly and very informative fellow) informed me that the ruins were part of a land swap made between the US Government and the Phillipine Goverment in exchange for the land that eventually became Subic Bay -- haven't been able to verify that, though.
I found this on a website in a blip about the area, and it completely explains why those "two parallel roads" into the Elizide Cement Co remains are like what they are;

"Water for the town and for the milling operation was piped in from nearby Gold Center and " The Carrara Pacific," a three-mile Lidger cable tram system, was built to tie in with the Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad. This tram used the weight of full cars coming down the hill to pull empty rail cars up the hill. There was a wide section at the halfway point of the track that allowed the cars headed up the hill to pass those on the downward path. It operated much like a pendulum on a cuckoo clock. On April 7, 1914, the first slabs of marble were shipped from the quarry."

Stormy

Bob
07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
The Carrara Pacific was a gravity powered line that ran from the quarry to the town of Carrara. Two Cars were used and they passed in the middle. The car coming down the hill had the added weight of slab of Granite. Carrara was on the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad (LV&T) and was serviced with just a siding. The LV&T was abandoned in 1919 and the road grade is now under US-95 at Carrara. The fate of Carrara began to improve and the Tonopah and Tidewater (T&T) built a short branch from their main line about three miles west of Carrara to Carrara. Carrara failed before the T&T was abandoned at the bigining of WWII and the branch line to Carrara was removed sometime in the early 30's As far as I know there never was rail service to Elizalde and all my rooting around there have discovered no RR grades near Elizalde but T&T branch grade to Carrara is clearly visiable. The road to ERlizqalde does split into two Parallel roads just below the company building but the left (looking uphill) parallel road terminates at the drying kiln-like facility. The riight parallel continues past Elizalde to some gold prospects in Bare Mountain.

The plotted but never inhabitated town of Hollywood is located about a half way between where the right parallel approaches the actual Bare Mountain (Upper end of alluvial) and Carrara. I would be very interested if Rockcrusher has anything more on Elizalde or any evidence to the contrary. So far, your information supports mine, I think Suzy McCoy may have some facts confused but plan to chase her down the next time I see her. As far as I know, there was no rail service to Elizalde but Gold Center and the T&T Carrara Branch were near enough that rail transportion would not have been a major factor in the "logistical nightmare."

Mawhamba
07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
The Carrara Pacific was a gravity powered line that ran from the quarry to the town of Carrara. Two Cars were used and they passed in the middle. The car coming down the hill had the added weight of slab of Granite. Carrara was on the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad (LV&T) and was serviced with just a siding. The LV&T was abandoned in 1919 and the road grade is now under US-95 at Carrara. The fate of Carrara began to improve and the Tonopah and Tidewater (T&T) built a short branch from their main line about three miles west of Carrara to Carrara. Carrara failed before the T&T was abandoned at the bigining of WWII and the branch line to Carrara was removed sometime in the early 30's As far as I know there never was rail service to Elizalde and all my rooting around there have discovered no RR grades near Elizalde but T&T branch grade to Carrara is clearly visiable. The road to ERlizqalde does split into two Parallel roads just below the company building but the left (looking uphill) parallel road terminates at the drying kiln-like facility. The riight parallel continues past Elizalde to some gold prospects in Bare Mountain.

The plotted but never inhabitated town of Hollywood is located about a half way between where the right parallel approaches the actual Bare Mountain (Upper end of alluvial) and Carrara. I would be very interested if Rockcrusher has anything more on Elizalde or any evidence to the contrary. So far, your information supports mine, I think Suzy McCoy may have some facts confused but plan to chase her down the next time I see her. As far as I know, there was no rail service to Elizalde but Gold Center and the T&T Carrara Branch were near enough that rail transportion would not have been a major factor in the "logistical nightmare."
My guesses were wrong... but that's not unusual. MS Terraserver (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/usgsentry.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=11&X=658&Y=5094&W=3&qs=%7ccarrara%7cnv%7c) shows old T&T rail grades leading to Carrara, but around Elizalde, it appears to be solely 4X dirt trails --

Rockcrusher
07-15-2005, 05:43 PM
. . . but Gold Center and the T&T Carrara Branch were near enough that rail transportion would not have been a major factor in the "logistical nightmare."
Sorry for the confusing statement regarding the "logistical nightmare". Getting the cement from the plant to a port was the easy part, it was the 7,000 odd mile leg from the west coast to the P.I. It doesn't take a whole lot of water to turn cement into concrete and since the Pacific Ocean is full of water . . . Bad combination!.

BTW, I'm a Bob, too!

GaryB
07-18-2005, 04:14 PM
BTW, I'm a Bob, too!

:eek:

form filler