PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town between Trinidad and Raton?

coloradoghost
07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know of the ghost town located right off of I25 between Trinidad Colorado and Raton NM? I spotted it going south... it was on the western side of 25... there were alot of foundations and rock rubble, but most interesting was an old spanish missionary church... the front wall was still in tact with the cross on the top, and it appeared that that back wall was caved in. I tried to spot it again while I was going northbound, but either I missed it or it wasn't visible from the northbound lane.

Any information on this would be great :) id love to go back and take pictures of that gorgeous church.

old judge
07-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Colorado: The wife and I drove that stretch North in September last year. We took some pics of an old church on a mountainside north of Raton which I suspect is your church. We noted no town associated with the church and suspect it was not even on the fairly detailed maps we were using. We did not leave the Interstate due to time constraints, but, like you, would like to go back with more time. I will post the picture or pictures here later today when I have my expert's help. In the meantime I'm guessing Morley or Morley Mining Camp, Colorado----St. Aloysius Church----What do you think? Mike

old judge
07-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Colorado: Sorry: Bride said those are some of the many pictures I screwed up. Anyway, am now satisfied you were looking at the place and church referenced earlier. 37 deg. 01 min. 58 sec. N 104 deg. 30 min. 19 sec. W. Any questions, holler. Mike

Mikejts
07-06-2005, 10:01 PM
What you were looking at was the ruins of a town called Morley and the St Aloysius Catholic Church. It is on private land but a public road gets you close. Last time I was there I got permission to enter from the developer. It was a coal mining town that was in operation into the 1950's. The town was built as a mining town and occupants all had identical houses, company stores, and company scripts for groceries and the like.

If you look close as you travel on the road you will see other sites like Starkville. I-25 also follows the old Santa Fe trail over the mountains at Raton Pass.

old judge
07-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Colorado: Rocky seems in agreement and he's the expert. Check out pics and confirm on his site, or at www.trinidadco.com (http://www.trinidadco.com) or google "St. Aloysius Church Morley". Good Hunting

dvsww2
07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, Raton is not one of my favorite places as I blew an engine in my suburban and got ripped off by one of the local repair guys. Anyway in the process of the whole adventure I ended up buying an old dodge van from an old guy in Aguilar, CO to get home with. It ran good but looked horrible. In the process I learned from him that there are a lot of old mines and cabins and settlements in the area up around Aguilar. His family had a small mine themselves, but got shut down by OSHA and the EPA. Looks like to me to be interesting area to explore. Trinidad itself is interesting as they are still using the 1890's courthouse. Had to visit them for a DMV permit to get home on. Good luck and don't break down in Raton!!! Thanks Howard