PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra Marmot

Flatiron
07-24-2005, 04:17 AM
Hey OJ...........I ate a chocolate brown High Sierra Marmot one time while on a backpacking trip. Does that count? I ran out of Baby Ruth's, and gosh, I was hungry. I think that was the same trip where I "bumped "my head on a hornets nest. How about you?

old judge
07-24-2005, 09:28 AM
No question about it. And I prefer to use an aluminum Dutch Oven for that particular species. I'm usually partial to cast iron, but with the unusual marmot flavor, and rather greasy meat, I make an exception. Usually bump the cooking time up some and use a little less heat on top. OJ

Bob
07-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Your both better men than I, gunga dins. My beagle and I have never had an occassion to get that close to a rockchuck. Then, of course, I never thought to get hunting license for the critter either and suspect I could easily pop one with my 25-06. BTW, Marmot is the least popular term I know for rockchucks, we also call em Whistlepigs for the way the watch marmot alerts the colony. I find interesting that you learn local names so well, the first time you talk to someone from another area, you sometimes have to establish "What" criiter you speaking of. OJ and Flatiron, what do you two call a skunk bear in your area. I had fifteen minute conversation with a guy I meet in the service a while back with me talking about skunk bears and him Gluttons. I finally asked if there were another name for his critter and he say that the old folks callem Carcajou. We both finally figured out the generic name was wolverine but niether of us had ever heard that term except as a school mascot.

old judge
07-24-2005, 11:49 AM
We call 'em Wolverines here in the Sooner State, maybe 'cause there ain't any. And acourse Flatiron's gotta be referrin' to a Sierra Nevada Yellow-Bellied Critter, which are a little slower and easier to catch than an Eastern Varmint. Doncha 'magine? OJ