PDA

View Full Version : Remote and wet

utah-ghost
07-24-2005, 05:29 PM
I have been exploring ghost towns for well over 20 years. I have spent these years mostly in dry desert locations with no water.

I am interested in directions to and information on ghost towns that have water, either springs, rivers, lakes, or creeks.

My criteria for ghost towns are: must be totally abandoned, must be somewhat remote, must be accessable (no tresspassing problems), and they must be in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, or Idaho.

old judge
07-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Hey Ghost: Sounds mightily like a guy lookin' to disappear. Not dodgin' some o' my old warrants, are you? If you don't get some leads, I'd suggest you invest in some good maps, or look at likely spots on topozone. Certainly lakes, rivers and creeks are evident. Often springs are identified. Of course knowing whether they are wet all year round might be a problem without some local info. A lot of these old places are ghost towns for one very good reason. Lack of reliable water. Good luck. OJ

ghostrider
08-12-2005, 03:08 PM
water ghosts ehhh?.....kelton utah....on the very northern edge of the great salt lake...completely abandoned andlotsa water chlose by....used to be a major stage stop between salt lake city and boisie....lotsa buried loot is supposedly nearby.....lotsa robberies took place in this vicinity in the day........lotsa debris left there.....no standing buildings....but with a little immagination......ya can still see how the town was set up.......a fun place ta visit.....but very remote!!!!!!!!! :eek:

one_bad_rover
08-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Not sure the last time you were out there, but Kelton is dry as a bone, there is occasionally run off out there, but its salty and highly acidic, kills all the greenery out there, not to mention what it would do to people....not hospitable at all. Go high if you are looking for water, find a remote range and follow the road, its there for a reason, keep your eyes open and you will find what you are looking for...