PDA

View Full Version : Franklin, Washington

troopjl
08-09-2005, 09:39 AM
i have recently heard of Franklin ad I am very interested in photographing it for a project I am working on. I Noticed in the description of it that permission has to be obtained from the Gun Club or Gas drilling company that is active on the land. Does anybody know the name of the club or the company so I can talk to them. I would like to start shooting the pictures as soon as possible.

Thank you for any Information,

Tex

Honest Bob
03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
The Black Diamond Museum Gives a great guided tour of the Franklin townsite.The tour is free and done one saturday a month I believe.

BDgirl85
03-18-2008, 07:24 PM
The company is Palmer Coking Coal. The museum has done a tour of Franklin, but i don't believe once a month, in fact they did one recently. Depending on which way you come from, you either can drive in to a certain point (once you've gotten permission though) and walk to the mine... or i think the other way you can only walk in. i haven't been in that way myself though. Let me know if I've been any help!

Fairlane500
03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
If you park along the road by the Green River Gorge Bridge, you can walk in to the site without any need for permission, as the acess and site itself are on King County Parks property. That's the route I took to visit Franklin a couple of years ago.

ashburnham
08-01-2008, 06:55 AM
i have recently heard of Franklin ad I am very interested in photographing it for a project I am working on. I Noticed in the description of it that permission has to be obtained from the Gun Club or Gas drilling company that is active on the land. Does anybody know the name of the club or the company so I can talk to them. I would like to start shooting the pictures as soon as possible.

Thank you for any Information,

Tex

Hi Tex, how did you get on with the photography? Wanted to do a similar thing to you and was just wondering if you needed to arrange anything or if you just parked up like fairline said. Thanks

DBray
01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey, can anyone post a bit more about this place? I'm going to be out on the west coast and down into the south-west this coming summer and I'd like to see if I should put this on my itinerary

Darrell Bray
DC Hotel (http://www.123world.com/washington-dc/washington-dc-hotels.php)
Washington DC (http://washingtondc.nyctourist.com/)

Davidw
02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
There is a number of errors in the Franklin listing. One, the accident was a fire in the mine, which happened on August 24th 1894. Two, the town did not close until about 1920 when it became easier to live in Black Diamond, and work at Franklin thanks to cars. Coal mining continued into the 50's, I think. Third, the foundation shown at the bottom of the page was the power plant. Four, most of the land is owned by Washington State Parks. It's actually not part of Hanging Gardens, but its own seperate park, according to the park ranger at Flaming Gyser State Park. The only part that is not on public property is the north part of the town site, which is owned by Palmer Coke and Coal, which bought out much of the Pacific Coast Company land when they went into receivership in the thirties. Since the site is on Washington State Parks land, no motorized vehicle use is allowed. Parking is a bit of an issue. When I visit, I park by the cemetary just off the Green River Gorge road (which has a nice view into the gorge, by the way), then walk to the trailhead. The town was orginally built by the Oregon Improvement Company sometime in the 1880's, and was badly managed until Pacific Coast Coal Company bought it and did a good job managing it. The mismanagment of OIC was partly to blame for the deaths resulting from the fire, as they shut off the fan to save the coal and the miners suffocated. There has been speculation that the fire was delilberatly set by one of the miners that was killed. You can find head stones in the cemetary dating to the fire.

Darin
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I was told that all the buildings were covered over by trees and shrubs and are just mounds of dirt that are now the shape of the structures. Is this true or was I in the wrong place???

Davidw
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I was told that all the buildings were covered over by trees and shrubs and are just mounds of dirt that are now the shape of the structures. Is this true or was I in the wrong place???

No buildings remain at all. At least some of the houses were moved to Red Town in Newcastle. The rest may have been torn down, and the materials used elsewhere.

Davidw
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
This is a set (http://flickr.com/photos/dgwphotos/sets/72157610491319141/) of all my photos of Franklin that I have on Flickr.

GlacierBasin
02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Davidw, Great photos! This is inspiring me to make the trip out to Franklin. How many headstones are out there?

Davidw
02-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Davidw, Great photos! This is inspiring me to make the trip out to Franklin. How many headstones are out there?

I'd say about 10 or 12 at the most. The cemetary is mostly covered in black berries, but there are a few paths through them. Also, there is a log down across the main trail through the cemetary, that you will need to navigate around.

Rattler
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Cool pics Davidw. I can't wait for the snow to be gone to do some ghosttowning here in MI!

GlacierBasin
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
David, thanks for the reply and info. I will be heading that way soon! I can't wait!

Davidw
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
David, thanks for the reply and info. I will be heading that way soon! I can't wait!

Be sure to stop by the museum in Black Diamond, if it's open. They have artifacts from the area. I hear they also lead tours as well.

mhungry
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I've been here many, many times. The town site itself and the graveyard are indeed now owned by Washington State Parks (Hanging Gardens State Park). To get in you will need to walk around the gate just after the bridge on the corner. It is marked all over with "No trespassing" signs on the land, HOWEVER, the ROAD ITSELF is still county owned, and is NOT private property. STAY ON THE ROAD when you go around the gate, and you are perfectly legal. Eventually you will see a yellow? gate that marks the park boundary (the parks have bought a bit more land in front of it, but treat it that way for now).

Parking is a bit more of an issue. Because of accidents and such forth on the blind corners, the county has posted no parking signs anywhere near the bridge. Most of the other roadside areas close by are private property and not safe to park on/near. The only SAFE place to park that's close is just down the road at an old cemetery. It's on the same side of the bridge as the entrance to Franklin, just up the road past 3 or so homes (on the right side as you head away from the bridge). The cemetery is county owned, so you are safe to park there and walk back down the road. DO NOT park near the actual gate itself. You will almost certainly be ticketed or towed. I've seen several cars parked there ticketed, and 2 towed just in the past 2 years since they made the area a no-parking zone.

When you get up the main hill you have a few options. Going to the left takes you to the mine shaft, past a short valley with old tracks (the track line is just above the trail, and a caved in mine entrance is located just up the short valley where you see the tracks- VERY muddy), the cemetery, and beyond that to the Black Diamond water bridge, etc if you drop down. If you stay high you will end up on PCCC (Palmer Coking Coal Company) land, marked with signs. If you go right you will see the town area, and eventually hit a private property line. This is also PCCC land. Down the road this way is a tailing pile and a bunch of concrete ruins. If you watch the hill to the left you can see old walls and whatnot. PCCC is not averse to people walking on their land, HOWEVER, you must stop by their office in Black Diamond and fill out a permit. It's basically a legal release, as the land in the area is riddled with mine shafts and other dangers.

I have yet to explore the old road that leads off to the left just as you start up the hill. I'm assuming it lead to the lower entrances, etc. I'm hoping to get out there someday soon here and look at it closer.

Darin
01-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the details on Franklin.
Sounds like it maybe a "catch 22" situation...you can go to the town but it's best to check in with the PCCC or better yet, the museum which you would have to take the guided tour, they'll show you Franklin, but only certain parts and the rest of it (the good parts of town) are off limits...guess I'll just buy a post card and a souvenir lump of coal after my tour from the museum.

Davidw
01-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I've been here many, many times. The town site itself and the graveyard are indeed now owned by Washington State Parks (Hanging Gardens State Park). To get in you will need to walk around the gate just after the bridge on the corner. It is marked all over with "No trespassing" signs on the land, HOWEVER, the ROAD ITSELF is still county owned, and is NOT private property. STAY ON THE ROAD when you go around the gate, and you are perfectly legal. Eventually you will see a yellow? gate that marks the park boundary (the parks have bought a bit more land in front of it, but treat it that way for now).

Parking is a bit more of an issue. Because of accidents and such forth on the blind corners, the county has posted no parking signs anywhere near the bridge. Most of the other roadside areas close by are private property and not safe to park on/near. The only SAFE place to park that's close is just down the road at an old cemetery. It's on the same side of the bridge as the entrance to Franklin, just up the road past 3 or so homes (on the right side as you head away from the bridge). The cemetery is county owned, so you are safe to park there and walk back down the road. DO NOT park near the actual gate itself. You will almost certainly be ticketed or towed. I've seen several cars parked there ticketed, and 2 towed just in the past 2 years since they made the area a no-parking zone.

When you get up the main hill you have a few options. Going to the left takes you to the mine shaft, past a short valley with old tracks (the track line is just above the trail, and a caved in mine entrance is located just up the short valley where you see the tracks- VERY muddy), the cemetery, and beyond that to the Black Diamond water bridge, etc if you drop down. If you stay high you will end up on PCCC (Palmer Coking Coal Company) land, marked with signs. If you go right you will see the town area, and eventually hit a private property line. This is also PCCC land. Down the road this way is a tailing pile and a bunch of concrete ruins. If you watch the hill to the left you can see old walls and whatnot. PCCC is not averse to people walking on their land, HOWEVER, you must stop by their office in Black Diamond and fill out a permit. It's basically a legal release, as the land in the area is riddled with mine shafts and other dangers.

I have yet to explore the old road that leads off to the left just as you start up the hill. I'm assuming it lead to the lower entrances, etc. I'm hoping to get out there someday soon here and look at it closer.

Don Mason, a member of the Black Diamond Historical Society and their resident expert on Franklin, told me that the area behind the tracks (which carried a water pipe, according to him) was the rock pit. No mines were located there. I went down the path that goes down the hill toward the river just after Christmas, as I've heard from Bill Kombol, owner of Palmer Coke and Coal, that the Gem Mine was down there (named after the coal seam it was in), and there are lots of remnants of a incline down to the mine, but I wasn't able to find the mine, and I suspect that it was covered over by a landslide.

Davidw
01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the details on Franklin.
Sounds like it maybe a "catch 22" situation...you can go to the town but it's best to check in with the PCCC or better yet, the museum which you would have to take the guided tour, they'll show you Franklin, but only certain parts and the rest of it (the good parts of town) are off limits...guess I'll just buy a post card and a souvenir lump of coal after my tour from the museum.

The museum has two tours coming up, one in February, and one in March, according to their website.

Darin
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Yup! Saw that two days ago on their web site.

robert
01-26-2010, 10:55 AM
me and a buddy went out there this last Saturday and went for a hike around out there.... The cemetery is over grown now and u can only see/find about 10 head stones i think is what we counted we hiked down almost to the river and didn't find anything other than a cable on the hill side and that ta-rain is bad unless u know what ur doing we had to use the rope on some of it to get up and down. The trolly cart track is starting to fall down now and back in the ravein on the hill side it looks like that there was a mine shaft entrance there into the base of the mt/hill side there and I think thats where the mine got sealed up at we are planning to go back out and hike the hill side behind the cemetery and see if we can find anything up there

Davidw..... u had mentioned that there is a gem mine up there is that where on the hill side is it down by the river? is it straight down from the cemetery? where? im interested in know more about the layout of the old town before we make another trip out there to do more investigating on the hill side

robert
01-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Don Mason, a member of the Black Diamond Historical Society and their resident expert on Franklin, told me that the area behind the tracks (which carried a water pipe, according to him) was the rock pit. No mines were located there. I went down the path that goes down the hill toward the river just after Christmas, as I've heard from Bill Kombol, owner of Palmer Coke and Coal, that the Gem Mine was down there (named after the coal seam it was in), and there are lots of remnants of a incline down to the mine, but I wasn't able to find the mine, and I suspect that it was covered over by a landslide.

did he mention where at on the hill side the gem mine was at by the old town?

Darin
01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
me and a buddy went out there this last Saturday and went for a hike around out there.... The cemetery is over grown now and u can only see/find about 10 head stones i think is what we counted we hiked down almost to the river and didn't find anything other than a cable on the hill side and that ta-rain is bad unless u know what ur doing we had to use the rope on some of it to get up and down. The trolly cart track is starting to fall down now and back in the ravein on the hill side it looks like that there was a mine shaft entrance there into the base of the mt/hill side there and I think thats where the mine got sealed up at we are planning to go back out and hike the hill side behind the cemetery and see if we can find anything up there

Davidw..... u had mentioned that there is a gem mine up there is that where on the hill side is it down by the river? is it straight down from the cemetery? where? im interested in know more about the layout of the old town before we make another trip out there to do more investigating on the hill side Welcome to the forum!!!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time there and great info on the update of the cemetary and the tracks.

robert
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Me and my hiking partner are gonna be going back out there this weekend and need more info on anything that anyone has seen or heard about anything out there please

Darin
01-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Me and my hiking partner are gonna be going back out there this weekend and need more info on anything that anyone has seen or heard about anything out there please
Have ya checked with the museum in Black Diamond yet? They may be able to help some since they do tours of the old town.

Davidw
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I've had some confusing information on the location of the Gem (named for the coal seam)mine from other members of the Black Diamond Historical Society. I haven't spoken with Don Mason since I talked to Mr. Kombol.

robert
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I've had some confusing information on the location of the Gem (named for the coal seam)mine from other members of the Black Diamond Historical Society. I haven't spoken with Don Mason since I talked to Mr. Kombol.

Have you been out there lately? or any other old towns in the area? Bain, Spiketon?

Davidw
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Have you been out there lately? or any other old towns in the area? Bain, Spiketon?

Nope, not since December. I did talk to Mr Kombol again, and he said that the Gem Mine was not where I was thinking it was, but further up the river, and rather hard to get to. Are you refering to Bayne? I've been there, but there's nothing to see, as everything is private property. Spiketon, no. It's down near the Carbon River, in Pierce County.

Calamity June
05-19-2015, 06:17 AM
What a great bunch of pictures David. I've been in Franklin quite a few times this year, if a person can get in there before everything start leafing out in the Spring, you can see a bit more of the place, ruins, but not much more than your photos.

It really is a magical place to walk into, I like to imagine what it was like to live there and walk the train track and soak in the spectacular views of the area.