PDA

View Full Version : ghost town and back road maps

Ghosttowns.com
06-21-1998, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Mary Paul

: My husband & I are going to wander the back roads and take in the ghost towns of Nevada. Most likely North of Vegas to Battle Mt., East to Elko & Wells and South to Ely and back to Vegas. Any hints where to go? Have a Jeep (a real Jeep, not a street Jeep) and camp gear. Any suggestions for good maps that would show old mining roads or dirt trails. Like to travel by dirt as much as possible. That is the general area but if there is something spectular any place else in the State we are open to suggestion.
: Thanks,
: Mary & Paul

Ghosttowns.com
06-28-1998, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Cat

: : My husband & I are going to wander the back roads and take in the ghost towns of Nevada. Most likely North of Vegas to Battle Mt., East to Elko & Wells and South to Ely and back to Vegas. Any hints where to go? Have a Jeep (a real Jeep, not a street Jeep) and camp gear. Any suggestions for good maps that would show old mining roads or dirt trails. Like to travel by dirt as much as possible. That is the general area but if there is something spectular any place else in the State we are open to suggestion.
: : Thanks,
: : Mary & Paul

: You should pick up the book Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Sites, hardback (not sure who its by, but check out also the Cal-Neva ghost town page for more info @ www.cal-neva.com and the Nevada state ghost town site). This book has accurate discriptions, directions, and history about any site in Nevada worth checking out!

Ghosttowns.com
06-28-1998, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : My husband & I are going to wander the back roads and take in the ghost towns of Nevada. Most likely North of Vegas to Battle Mt., East to Elko & Wells and South to Ely and back to Vegas. Any hints where to go? Have a Jeep (a real Jeep, not a street Jeep) and camp gear. Any suggestions for good maps that would show old mining roads or dirt trails. Like to travel by dirt as much as possible. That is the general area but if there is something spectular any place else in the State we are open to suggestion.
: : Thanks,
: : Mary & Paul

: Hi Mary & Paul
: The book that Cat refers to (Nevada ghost towns and mining camps) is by Stan Paher, it can be ordered for about $44.99 from Ghosttowns.com, another good book by Stan Paher is "Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps Atlas", Hardcover ~ $24.95, it includes maps.
: Some of the pictures are from the 1940s & 50s, so some of the structures no longer exist.
: I loved Belmont, check out the cemetary on your right as you enter from the south, also the courthouse and the 2 mill sites a little north of town.
: When we went there, a paranoid guy who lived there followed us around in his truck as I took pictures, kinda creepie, just a few people live here and they all seemed nice.
: Have Fun
: Lewis Shorb

Ghosttowns.com
08-04-1999, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Marian

: : : My husband & I are going to wander the back roads and take in the ghost towns of Nevada. Most likely North of Vegas to Battle Mt., East to Elko & Wells and South to Ely and back to Vegas. Any hints where to go? Have a Jeep (a real Jeep, not a street Jeep) and camp gear. Any suggestions for good maps that would show old mining roads or dirt trails. Like to travel by dirt as much as possible. That is the general area but if there is something spectular any place else in the State we are open to suggestion.

: : : Thanks,

: : : Mary & Paul

: : You should pick up the book Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Sites, hardback (not sure who its by, but check out also the Cal-Neva ghost town page for more info @ www.cal-neva.com and the Nevada state ghost town site). This book has accurate discriptions, directions, and history about any site in Nevada worth checking out!

: OK maybe some folks can help me. I am looking for maps and such for ghost towns in North east Oklahoma. I don't own an off road jeep. Just a van but have feet and am willing to walk for a ways.

Ghosttowns.com
04-17-2001, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by DOUG HOUSER

: : : My husband & I are going to wander the back roads and take in the ghost towns of Nevada. Most likely North of Vegas to Battle Mt., East to Elko & Wells and South to Ely and back to Vegas. Any hints where to go? Have a Jeep (a real Jeep, not a street Jeep) and camp gear. Any suggestions for good maps that would show old mining roads or dirt trails. Like to travel by dirt as much as possible. That is the general area but if there is something spectular any place else in the State we are open to suggestion.

: : : Thanks,

: : : Mary & Paul

: : Hi Mary & Paul

: : The book that Cat refers to (Nevada ghost towns and mining camps) is by Stan Paher, it can be ordered for about $44.99 from Ghosttowns.com, another good book by Stan Paher is "Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps Atlas", Hardcover ~ $24.95, it includes maps.

: : Some of the pictures are from the 1940s & 50s, so some of the structures no longer exist.

: : I loved Belmont, check out the cemetary on your right as you enter from the south, also the courthouse and the 2 mill sites a little north of town.

: : When we went there, a paranoid guy who lived there followed us around in his truck as I took pictures, kinda creepie, just a few people live here and they all seemed nice.

: : Have Fun

: : Lewis Shorb