PDA

View Full Version : Treasure hunting laws

Max Barnett
08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I know this is a subject that is just about worn out but I have not seen this facet discussed. I know that if a person stumbled across the loot from a 100+ year old robbery on public land it would be illegal to take it. What if it is found on private property? Do state and federal antiquity acts reach on to private property?
Max

old judge
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM
The 1906 Act clearly applies to Government land or Government controlled land. If Flatiron and I stumble across $250,000.00 in 100 year old stolen bank loot while we're out nosin' around on Government controlled land, there's liable to be a little ethics checkin' goin' on. I know Flatiron would turn all that loot in without a second thought, but he might do it over my dead body. If we're on private property, of course we would notify the owner of the find, I think.........OJ

troopjl
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Hafta appreciate honesty!!

GaryB
08-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Depends on how hard it would be to liquidate it :D

I think I'd cough it up, save for a few "souvenirs" for later days. It'd be hard to move a large amount of old money without someone eventually noticing. Then again, there is Ebay........

ghostrider
09-03-2005, 06:10 PM
:D where yheres a will theres a way......just gotta keep yer head on...

teds280z
01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Now come on old judge, remember you swore to uphold the law. Truefully, Im not sure what to do. I like to think of myself as honest, but still being out of work and times being so tough?????

Tyroler
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
The 1906 Act clearly applies to Government land or Government controlled land. If Flatiron and I stumble across $250,000.00 in 100 year old stolen bank loot while we're out nosin' around on Government controlled land, there's liable to be a little ethics checkin' goin' on. I know Flatiron would turn all that loot in without a second thought, but he might do it over my dead body. If we're on private property, of course we would notify the owner of the find, I think.........OJ
How is it if you move the finding to Publuc Land and find it again?
They may not had Bills,200 Years ago

Darin
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Ummmmm...:eek:

TxConservative
09-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Interesting thought....But if I were metal detecting and came up on some old loot, to heck with them, it's mine !

Tsarevna
09-21-2010, 11:31 PM
You gotta weigh the pro's and cons.

Morality issue aside:

If it's gold coins of unusual rarity, questions are gonna be asked. You'd have to melt them down or find a way to put them on the black market to avoid scrutiny.
Same with bills with serials, or in something like confederate money.

Unloading them 1 by 1 on ebay might keep you under the radar, or travelling around different large cities to sell them one at a time might do you ok.

But if you found a big cache, you got touch choices to make. Declare the treasure, split it with the state or feds? Make more money ultimately because you can then proclaim a story behind the find...such as "This is one of the $20 bills from John Dillinger's lost cache".

(Cause you know that 1930's money is gonna be worth a LOT more in a showcase if it has a certificate of authenticity about the connection with Dillinger than a regular old 1930's bill.)

Or, if it's in gold or whatnot, melt it down? Gold is high right now, maybe, (to you,) the metal $$$ is worth more than it's historical value.

Froggy
10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone!

This has got me wondering, if someone :confused: was to find one of those legendary treasure (John Dillinger's lost cache or the Skeleton Canyon GOLD) or if I on my next Ghost Towning hunt; I trip over that 50lb "early retirement nugget" does it get taxed for just keeping it or only if one cashes it out? Or is it taxed at all? I'm curious about this, although the only treasures I find seems to be dusty tin cans and cactus!:eek:

Tsarevna
10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone!

This has got me wondering, if someone :confused: was to find one of those legendary treasure (John Dillinger's lost cache or the Skeleton Canyon GOLD) or if I on my next Ghost Towning hunt; I trip over that 50lb "early retirement nugget" does it get taxed for just keeping it or only if one cashes it out? Or is it taxed at all? I'm curious about this, although the only treasures I find seems to be dusty tin cans and cactus!:eek:

I bet if you start asking around...those types of legal questions you'd get people following you, convinced that you already found a treasure! :)

Tyroler
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
OK,what could you find?
They didn't have Paper Money. But Coins. where will you sell it? OK, Ebay were a solution if you didn't find too many.
you also could find lost Gold or silver,but you have to report the Location,and you can't take more then for $500.- with you,as long as you claimed it not successfully. otherwise you get in trouble by selling it.
If its on Publique Land you could take for each Member of your Family for up to $500.- with you and buy the Land. Well, Ok, but on Private Land?
now, we have recession and the Landowner is happy to sell you the Land,....
yep, That is it!

GaryB
10-13-2010, 12:18 PM
If it was coin, you could likely liquidate it easily claiming it was a family heirloom.

Driftin'
01-11-2011, 07:32 AM
I know this is an old post but I have to admit this topic stirs me up a mite. I've actually been talking to my local senate critters here in Colorado to see why this law was ever enacted and how hard it would be to repeal. I have no issue with preserving antiquity but at the same time I am the one hard at work out in the field. If anything interesting happens I'll start a new thread with the results.

AZ_Chris
01-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Just think if you were that metal detector in England who found the "Staffordshire Hoard" who had to give it all up in the name of the Queen.
Atleast he was able to sell it to a museum and split the profit with the landowner. He HAD to have kept a few pieces to himself tho :cool:

HOPALONG33
01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
the 1906 act clearly applies to government land or government controlled land. If flatiron and i stumble across $250,000.00 in 100 year old stolen bank loot while we're out nosin' around on government controlled land, there's liable to be a little ethics checkin' goin' on. I know flatiron would turn all that loot in without a second thought, but he might do it over my dead body. If we're on private property, of course we would notify the owner of the find, i think.........oj

at my age i would keep it. If you have seen no country for old men, thats what i'am talking about. I would die rich. Hehehehe

NHBandit
03-19-2011, 08:19 AM
While I don't know all the technicalities of the English laws I believe their system works like this... If you make a significant find or even a small one you notify the proper government authority. The British Museum gets involved and determines if it's of historical importance or not. If they choose to keep it they have to pay the full market value to the finder. If not they return it to the finder. In any case there is a 50/50 split with the land owner. The US could learn alot from this system. It would go a long way towards insuring that finds do get reported and taxes get paid on those finds. Our system of the government trying to find ways to take the valuable finds for themselves causes alot of otherwise honest people, to think hard about "doing the right thing" Just my humble opinion.