PDA

View Full Version : Any misleading information here?

Cena
08-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Has their ever been any false information provided here at ghosttowns.com? Any hoaxes?

Also, is their any way to confirm a ghost town on this website.

One ghost town doesn't give directions at all, it just says what County it resides in. I live in this exact County and decided to look for it yesterday. I talked to some of the older farmers in the area who have lived here all their life, and they said they have never heard of such a thing, I asked around and no one else has never heard of it, nothing comes up on the internet about it, and I even tried to search the person who submitted the ghost town, and didn't find anything.

If your interested, the ghost town is Seven Ponds, Iowa if you would like to see it here, although it says do not visit, I'm only trying to confirm that it once had existed.

Thanks

old judge
08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Cena: I can't speak for the web host. I can tell you that the info I've gleaned from this site has been extremely reliable. It may depend to some extent on the site of your interest. I expect the source may, from time to time, be less reliable than desired. In addition, the site you seek is likely much more prone to questionable info. Really doesn't sound like a Ghost Town to me. Sounds like an urban legend. Right up Flatiron's alley. OJ

Dezdan
08-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Out of curiosity I looked around and did find several mentions of Seven Pond on the net. Check out Hwy. 61 about 12 miles north of Burlington, near Sperry.

Cena
08-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Out of curiosity I looked around and did find several mentions of Seven Pond on the net. Check out Hwy. 61 about 12 miles north of Burlington, near Sperry.
Do you have any links you would like to send me?

I'm a little skeptical about this because the area you described is nowhere near Kossuth County, infact its a whopping 303 miles away, or 5 hours and 36 minute drive according to Mapquest.com.

Still interesting nonetheless to read about it.

EDIT: I believe I found the website you have found it from, amazing how the number 7 would make a difference than the word seven. I wonder why it says its in Kossuth County, when really its in Des Moines County 300 miles away. Ohwell, thanks for the info.

Dezdan
08-27-2005, 08:48 PM
FYI - 7 Ponds Park/7 Ponds Campground maybe different from the Seven Ponds Water Park, but they seem to be in they same area.

I found mention to it on the Burlington Super 8 Motel website (via hotel-rates.com). Says it is 10 Miles from the Burlington Super 8 Motel.

So who knows! I am not saying that it exist, just that there is at least one other mention of it on another site. Let us know if you ever find it!

~Dezdan

GaryB
08-28-2005, 07:53 PM
I've seen a few towns put in the wrong county myself. Seems like just honest mistakes.

Bob
08-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Anybody else ever come across deliberate misdirection in maps. They map makers would make up a town or road or feature and put it on their maps to catch others using their work. I've come across a few in my day.