PDA

View Full Version : Moose City Idaho???

Teddy
09-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm a little new at this. Has anyone ever been to Moose City in Clearwater County Idaho? I have researched it, I know it started in 1869 and is shown on Idaho maps from then but vanishes between 1895 and 1905. It is a "city of importance" (according to the Idaho Historical Society) but is "unsurvayed" (what ever that means).I have a 4X4 map (2002) showing it to be on trail #255. It looks like it's not easy to get there. I live in Wallace ID and it does not seem far, just rough trails. Just wondering if there is anything left and if it's worth the trip? Any info is appriciated.

Johnnie
09-17-2005, 04:35 AM
I'm a little new at this. Has anyone ever been to Moose City in Clearwater County Idaho? I have researched it, I know it started in 1869 and is shown on Idaho maps from then but vanishes between 1895 and 1905. It is a "city of importance" (according to the Idaho Historical Society) but is "unsurvayed" (what ever that means).I have a 4X4 map (2002) showing it to be on trail #255. It looks like it's not easy to get there. I live in Wallace ID and it does not seem far, just rough trails. Just wondering if there is anything left and if it's worth the trip? Any info is appriciated.Teddy, John Amerson @ the Wallace Mining Museum, might be of some help or guide you in right direction, lots of luck.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Teddy
09-21-2005, 07:23 PM
The people at the mining museum didn't seem to know anything more than me. I guess I will go look for my self. BUT.. if anyone has ever been to Moose City in Clearwater county Idaho, please let me know if there is anything standing and/or if it's worth the trip. The map shows it to be a pretty good ways of nothing but trail. Traveling at 10 miles per hour can make for a long day and would like to know if there is anything to see besides trees (I assume they have trees there). If anyother hunters would like to go along let me know and perhaps we can plan a trip. I have not driven these trails before so I do not know what the trail is like. I am driving a Jeep Rubicon with a 3" lift so I think I am okay.

ghostrider
09-23-2005, 08:16 PM
teddy...when ya gonna go?..im in pocatello and would like ta go if my schedule allows..:p

Teddy
09-27-2005, 06:01 AM
I doubt I will be able to go to early next summer. I do have some time in mid October but I know that the weather changes up here about the same time. If you are interested I would say we should plan for June. It's a long ways away but I just don't think I can do it any sooner.

Mark_Sandie
10-11-2005, 08:46 AM
My wife and I drove up to the location of Moose City Idaho yesterday, October 10,2005. We located the site using the software on our GPS. If we were in the correct location, which may be doubtful, there was no evidence of the former ghost town. We walked around and explored, but found nothing. The drive up there is actually quite easy and the scenery beautiful.

kacijoy
03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi, My names Kaci and I live around Deary Idaho..I was wondering if you ever made it to Moose City? If you did or didnt I was wondering if you have information about it:) today is March 22, 2009

cdhiles
07-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey all,

Found this on the web. I am sure anyone interested has already seen this reference to Moose City from the Idaho State Historical Society, but if not, here is the link. It explains a tiny bit of history and tells of the fate of a group of Chinese Miners who lived there.

http://www.idahohistory.net/Reference%20Series/0828.pdf

Nuieve
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Satellite maps reveal some kind of settlement right above where the Moose City is supposed to be.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=moose+city+id&sll=47.662547,-117.308682&sspn=0.178507,0.445976&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Moose+City,+Clearwater,+Idaho&ll=46.791848,-115.108309&spn=0.011341,0.027874&t=h&z=16

Nuieve
02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
There's some signs of civilization above where Moose City is acoording to google satelite maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=moose+city+id&sll=47.662547,-117.308682&sspn=0.178507,0.445976&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Moose+City,+Clearwater,+Idaho&ll=46.791848,-115.108309&spn=0.011341,0.027874&t=h&z=16

GreenLife Solar & Wind
02-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Hello I live in Clearwater County and I have never even thought of it or heard about it but have not looked that much however i do have a friend who lives here and is a pioneer of the area he knows all and has many forestry maps from earlier days if you have been there already please let me know and let me know about it if not i will be getting with him to find out about it and i go to headquarters and that way quite frequently in the spring and summer. I am very interested in finding this and checking it out. But i gotta tell ya i have seen most open way roads and this is gonna be a doosy i dont see it bein easy and it looks like its around 100 miles off the path probably good for 4 wheelin or snowcat to cat in there. do you have GPS cords for it. and where to access that 255 that you were talking about?

I'm a little new at this. Has anyone ever been to Moose City in Clearwater County Idaho? I have researched it, I know it started in 1869 and is shown on Idaho maps from then but vanishes between 1895 and 1905. It is a "city of importance" (according to the Idaho Historical Society) but is "unsurvayed" (what ever that means).I have a 4X4 map (2002) showing it to be on trail #255. It looks like it's not easy to get there. I live in Wallace ID and it does not seem far, just rough trails. Just wondering if there is anything left and if it's worth the trip? Any info is appriciated.

Upthewazzu
03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I talked with a co-worker and he said that his family had a cabin up near Moose City and he remembers it well. He's out of town right now so I'll ask him when he gets back. We're in Latah County so it's not far from here.

Mpricekalama
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Satellite maps reveal some kind of settlement right above where the Moose City is supposed to be.

The buildings that are shown in that image are actually very likely part of a patented mining claim (private property) in the area. I do know that at about mile marker 15 on the F.S. 255 road is a sign marking the location (approx.?) of the old independance mine. Not sure, but would assume that this mine was part of the history of Moose City. If you look carefully you will likely find that Moose City is actually shown on new Forest Service maps of the Clearwater National Forest. Look in the North Fork Ranger District, then find Forest Road 255 and follow that North form the Old Kelly Forks Work center (this will be about 10-11 miles east of Kelly Creek Campground). If you reach Deception Saddle you have gone to far. It should be noted though that Moose City is very likely on a pattented mining claim which is private property (not Forest Service) and some owners of such mining claims can be very aggressive towards tresspassers. Anybody planning on going up to the area this summer let me know and I may be able to help you a little more. I worked as the Developed Recreation Technician on the Northfork Clearwater Ranger District last year and will hopefully be going back this summer so look for me if you get out there and I'd be happy to help you more if I can. Can't make any promises but I'm going to try to find any info I can on it. My name's Matt if you look for me out there.

Dajo
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I elk hunt in the area every fall and visit once summer as well. There is nothing left of Moose city. The first time I walked down into the area was about 21 years ago. You can make out some deformations of the ground, but all buildings are long gone. I'm not too sure the Forest Service sign is even still up along the road. If anyone is interested, I can get some gps coords of the actual sit. You can still find a road that drops down into where the city once was. The road is brushed in, but still very visable once you know where to look.....

ghostowner
04-19-2011, 01:54 AM
I found where Moose City site is also on my gps
It don't look to me from looking at satellite photos that there is much left. However the roads getting look like they are in good shape. From Pierce, Id. Go east on County Rd 250 (French Mt Road) about 49 miles to where you reach the Kelly Work Center turn north (left) on Forest Service rd 255 ( Kelly creek) go about 5 more miles north to town site. I have never been there, however, I will visit this area this summer when Im out this coming. Summer. Think Ill take my honda atv with me and check the area out
I live in eastern wa. About 200 or so miles away. Probably camp closer to Pierce somewhere

Idahohawkboy
05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I've also been to Moose City or what I think is it. Not much there @ all but, about 16 years ago I had a neighbor that said he use to built roads in the north fork area in the 60s and he showed me a gold coin he said he found @ Moose city with a metal detector so of course I got the ghost town/treasure hunting bug from then on. I do have Lats/Longs for it if anybody wants them just let me know.