PDA

View Full Version : Tin Cup

old judge
10-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Johnnie.... You got any info on the road from the south into Tin Cup. I was in snow in August, 2004. Looks like it could be worse now, AND bumpy. OJ

Johnnie
10-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey Johnnie.... You got any info on the road from the south into Tin Cup. I was in snow in August, 2004. Looks like it could be worse now, AND bumpy. OJ
Hello! Fellow Ghosttowner, The elements are a problem everywhere you go as you already know, and pop up when you lease expect them,

And we will check up on your request more often, and thanks for letting the rest of us know what is around the bend.

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
11-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Hello! Fellow Ghosttowner, The elements are a problem everywhere you go as you already know, and pop up when you lease expect them,

And we will check up on your request more often, and thanks for letting the rest of us know what is around the bend.

Johnnie & Sheila
Hey! O. J. where have you been lately? We have not herd your opinion on the bumpy roads to Tin Cup, and othe remote sites.

Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
11-10-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm here. Just going through one of my quiet phases. Mike

Mikejts
12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm here. Just going through one of my quiet phases. Mike
Judge, I was having one of my sleepless nights and surfing the TV Channels. Some show was just coming to a close about rattlesnakes in Oklahoma. Made it sound like you couldn't take a step without finding one. What is the real truth?

I go out in the plains in Colorado and find some depending on weather and which cousin, nephew, grandkid is here. Sometimes we stir some up sometimes not.

old judge
12-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Rocky: Rattlesnakes, yes. Problem, don't think so. Lived and traveled and hiked and camped Oklahoma for many decades; I'm 62. Personally know 0 rattlesnake victims, 3 copperhead victims and 0 cottenmouth (water mocassin) victims. Have seen 18 or 20 copperheads, numerous cottonmouths, and maybe a dozen or two dozen rattlesnakes. Have rattlesnake hunts, which net numerous rattlers. That, of course, means folks hunting for them. A careful and knowledgeble hiker won't be much at risk. I know more victims of rocky mountain spotted fever and rabies than snakebite. 2 and 1 respectively. Yeah. We got 'em. Yeah. You can get afoul of one. If you're not careful, or just plain unlucky. Don't let that keep you from visiting. OJ

Bob
12-17-2005, 06:03 PM
I totally agree that most rattlesnakes are well behaved and don't represent a threat to a prudent person or dog BUT south of here we have a pesky critter who ain't like the rest. I'm not to keen on the differences in venoms but this rattler has far more leathal venom and is far more inclined to strike first without rattling. I don't know neuro-toxin from regular toxin but these things called locally "Mohave Greens" are loathsome serpants. I carry my 357 with shot shells when forced to bein their turf and don't bring my beagle. I tend to do all my ghost towning around their turf in the dead of winter so I can bring my doggie and not worry. I don't personally know anyone who has died but do know people with big divots where muscle and meat used to be.

Mikejts
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
I lived in AZ for about 10 years and saw plenty of rattlesnakes especially around Easter Time each year. Never spent much time in the Mohave so I don't believe I ever saw a "Mohave Green". Of course I am not sure I would know the difference between it and a diamond back.

GaryB
12-17-2005, 08:52 PM
They're in Red Rock State Park (the one outside Vegas) too. Though not as in plenty like they are South of Vegas. Only seen a few and they do seem more aggressive than the common rattler. Then again, so do Sidewinders when you chase them on a ATV on a sand dune ;) One (Mohave) I hit with a car on the highway by accident. Stopped and looked at it and it was about 4' long :eek: He wasn't too happy that I'd broken his back. Now he hangs on my friends wall.

A good rattler desription link:http://www.ndow.org/wild/living/snake.shtm

Also a myth page:http://www.michaelcardwell.com/myths.htm

Johnnie
02-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Hey! O. J. what the latest on the road to "Tin Cup" From what we heard the road has not been maintained in last day or so. Is there any plan to keep it cleared for us trial blazers.

J & S

old judge
02-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Johnnie: Even in the best of circumstances, the south road to Tin Cup is not for the faint of mind. If you ain't got reverse on your vehicle, it's gonna be a road rage extravaganza. It's bumpy all year round. Surely not open today, even to folks drivin' a 4wd, high displacement, center line devidin', no-low stuff, this-l-go anywhere tank like Flatiron's. OJ

Mikejts
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey! O. J. what the latest on the road to "Tin Cup" From what we heard the road has not been maintained in last day or so. Is there any plan to keep it cleared for us trial blazers.

J & S
You really don't want to go there today as it is probably -10 (that is 10 below Zero)

Flatiron
02-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Hey Rocky.............Have you ever seen a Grand Canyon "Pink" rattler.? Pretty interesting.........

Mikejts
02-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey Rocky.............Have you ever seen a Grand Canyon "Pink" rattler.? Pretty interesting.........
Nope - Heard tell but never seen one. I always wondered where else they might be found.

GaryB
02-12-2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.grandcanyontreks.org/snakes/rattlesnake%20from%20john%20howard.jpg

http://www.nps.gov/grca/pphtml/subanimals9.html

I have only seen pics, since I have yet to actually make it to the big hole in the ground myself ;)

Mikejts
02-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Been to the big hole in the ground but not down to the bottom.

dvsww2
02-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Apparently the local Chanber of Commerce sponsors an ATV tour into Tin Cup each September. There was an article about it in the 11/04 Blue Ribbon Coalition Magazine. Not any ghost town pics(drat) but looked interesting. Part of the route was along the old railroad roadbed. Anyway, it's FourteenerNet.com according to the article. I would recommend the Blue Ribbon for membership if you recreate on Public Land. See www.sharetrails.org (http://www.sharetrails.org) for info.

Johnnie
04-26-2006, 08:19 AM

What are the weather conditions in and around Tin Cup in July, We have a friends that are planing a trip to that area. They are getting tired of the scenary around here.
J & S

old judge
04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Johnnie: Weather is great in July. Road up from Pitkin is a little bumpy and narrow though. By the way, I posted some new pics of Tin Cup a couple of weeks ago on this site. Check 'em out. OJ and Bride

Mikejts
04-26-2006, 03:33 PM
What are the weather conditions in and around Tin Cup in July, We have a friends that are planing a trip to that area. They are getting tired of the scenary around here.
J & S

That time of year it is beautiful. You can sometimes run into a day with cold and possibly even snow at that altitiude but it is rare in July.

If they have some nerve and a 4X4 they should take the pass from St Elmo to get to Tin Cup. That would allow them to see St Elmo and some interesting scenery over the pass.

Johnnie
05-17-2006, 05:48 AM

J & S

Just got back! O J from clearing the road to that ghost town you spoke of. We guess everyone else might be to busy with other projects, so we were out there by ourselves.

Johnnie & Sheila

Mikejts
06-01-2006, 07:51 PM

Flatiron.

Remember when you asked if I had ever seen a pink rattler. I said no. Well today I came within 3 inches of stepping on one. The guy did not even budge until I got him mad. He was laying in the shade coiled and did not want to move. Now I am curious if it was a hopi pink or a grand canyon pink. You will never guess where he was. I got pictures I will post when I return.

Mikejts
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey Flatiron - recognize this guy?