PDA

View Full Version : Kane and Summit Counties

Fitzy
10-13-2005, 12:36 AM
I am hoping that somebody has different information other than that which is posted on every site I have been able to find on these two counties in Utah. I have some family with land in both of these areas and would like to spend alot of time exploring to see whats is out there hiding. but it is hard to know where to start, i don't have any real good info or leads on stuff out there if anyone could help me out with some ideas in the area i would love it.
Fitzy

one_bad_rover
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Buy a book, do the research... there is a lot in both counties... gee, if only there were an updated book on Utah Ghost Towns... hmmmm....

Mikejts
10-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Fitzy,

A place to start and to always have available is a topo map. I have purchased and used topos from DeLorme for years. I start with their state atlas and the buy maps for specific counties to drill down. It is surprising how many ghost towns are still listed on these maps, many of the sites there is nothing left and about the only way you know you are in the right place is by your GPS and stumbling over an old foundation.
The advice you got from Corey is good. It does take a lot of research. If I was you I would get the topos and overlay them on the land you say your family owns. You might be surprised at what you find.

Good luck

Ghosttown Bob
10-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey, if anyone would help set up a website, I could start posting history and pics on some 344 confirmed ghost towns/ Mining Camps I have researched in Utah, along with about 19 others that I am currently working on verifying.

Bob
10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
What's wrong with here? I know there is a way to post more scholarly research write-ups as well as there are people on here who will really offer assistance and welcome comments. I wonder if you are like me, I enjoy researching but canít find the time to put things into a proper format. I too welcome more serious discussions on places, especially the ones I know loads about and canít locate on the ground. Most of my research is in Nevada but perhaps I have collected some stuff to add to your 344 + 19 :)

Mikejts
10-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Ghost Town Bob, - have you posted your data to this site? What format is your data in? (Hopefully digital) Let me know. I don't necessarily want to sign up for building a web site but maybe there are other options we could explore. Let me know.