PDA

View Full Version : "Old West" Triva Questions

Johnnie
10-18-2005, 07:39 AM
We thought it would be fun to change the pace by posting some old west trivia questions.

As we all know the winning of the west involved a lot of brave and hardy adventurers, that help build the west. It took Fur Trappers, Buffalo Hunters, Explorers, Gold Miners. But later on when the west was starting to be opened up came the Frontier Towns, and Rail Roads and then came the people to fill up all these settlements. And as the west started to grow so did jobs that were available to the pioneers.

Here is some "Lingo" used by the "Railroad Workers" as the railroad started to open up the west.

Soup----? (Water used by the steam engines)

Ball the Jack----? (Open the throttle)

Long Wiskers----? ( Long time employees)

Yard Geese----? (Switchmen)

Show The White Feather---? ( Flying down the tracks)

Shiner---? ( R/R latern)

You R/R buffs will know the answers right away but for the rest of the history buffs it takes a little concentration but still fun to try to guess. You are welcome to post your answers for rest of our fellow ghosttwners who would be interested in knowing the answers. we will post the answers later on. .

Later this month will try some more old west trivia to spice up the bulletin board.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Mikejts
03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Johnnie,

What about the train whistles?... What did they mean? I hear the trains at night in the distance and they seem to have a pattern for the whistles. Sort of like the old telephones. (two longs and a short was our party line ring and yes, Mrs Reding always listened to our conversations)

campp
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Mike,
Today's trains blow their horns according to gov regulations. There is a set requirement depending on what's going on.

JoeZona
03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
The Federal Railroad Administration (http://www.fra.dot.gov/Pages/1773.shtml) has all the details.

Mikejts
03-14-2010, 01:04 PM
THANKS fot the information. Now I am armed with the rules and I will be able to sit on my deck drinking margaritas and monitor the trains.

old judge
03-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Rocky...Took your post to heart last evening. Made me a batch of margaritas, got out to the patio about 7:30. Started listenin' for the trains. Made another batch about 8:30 and kept on listenin'. When I was a kid, I'd lay in bed and listen to those trains all night long. I was determined to do the same. About 9:45, another batch, more listenin'. Then I heard it.....My wife said, "Put these hearin' aids in an' you might hear somethin'."
I put the hearin' aids in at 10:00 and sure 'nough. TOOOOT. TWOOT. TWOOT. TWOOOOOT. Woke up about 6:40 this mornin'. TWOOOT. TWOOOOT. TWOOOOOOOOT. Took out the hearin' aids, had a cup of coffee, and enjoyed the quiet of the morning. OJ

Mikejts
03-16-2010, 04:59 PM
LMAO -- You got me !!!