PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley

honuboy311
10-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Heading back to Death Valley for our annual Thanksgiving trip, been doing it for 20+ years now, and am looking for some off the beaten path, ghosttowns/mining camps. We are very respectful of the sights and have capable 4 wheelers to get us to remote locations if someone wishes to pass along their findings.
thanks

honuboy311
10-19-2005, 08:18 AM
as a side note, anyone recommend some good books?

Dezdan
10-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Check out Michel Digonnet's book, "Hiking Death Valley: A Guide to Its Natural Wonders & Mining Past (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965917800/104-9357190-1951150?v=glance)", it should be of much help to you!

~Dezdan
http://www.Death-Valley.us (http://www.death-valley.us/)

Johnnie
11-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Heading back to Death Valley for our annual Thanksgiving trip, been doing it for 20+ years now, and am looking for some off the beaten path, ghosttowns/mining camps. We are very respectful of the sights and have capable 4 wheelers to get us to remote locations if someone wishes to pass along their findings.
thanksThere are two good mining camps in Souther california that are hard to get to that come to mine, and the first one is "Panamint City", just north/east of Panamint Valley, but is no longer open for vechiles because of recent landslides, but can be hiked too if you have the time. It is around six hour hike and the other ghost camp is "Bevenridge" and is said to be very rewarding, And is said to be near New York Peak in Sierra's, in east of Owens Valley California.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
11-10-2005, 06:42 AM
thanks
Honuboy, Did you have a good trip to D. V. and please tell the rest of us explorers. Did you find any remote ghost towns sites that impressed you?

Your fellow ghosttowners
J. & S.

honuboy311
11-13-2005, 07:12 PM
we are going in two weeks. we are gonna take a trip to the inyo mine, another one i can't remember the name of, and this mine that had all kinds of crystal in it, that is out by ryolyte. what is the name of the mine up above the keane wonder mine?

Johnnie
11-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Keep us posted on your latest adventures.

J & S

honuboy311
11-19-2005, 07:10 PM
i'll post some pics when we get back. we may stop by ballarat on the way out. anybody got any ideas on good laptop GPS software.

Johnnie
11-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Honuboy, My photo that appears on every post is of me in ballarat, California That old adobe wall and foundation was what was left of a building on main street looking N/E cooking ham & eggs The photograph was taking by "Seldom Seen Slim" with my camera in 1963. This old prospector said he had already spent 40 years in Ballarat and and loved every minute of it, and was a pal of another old prospector "Shorty Harris" who discovered the famouse "Bullfrogg" mine Slim use to tell us that "Shorty" dicovered a lot of gold stikes in California, Nevada, "The Man That Could Walk To Gold" was Slim's favorite saying, and added that "Shorty" just had that gift.

If you do make it to Ballarat, check and see if that foundation is still there and if you can please post your photos for rest of us to see what Ballarat, looks like today, we hope that there is still something left for future generations to see. Back in the 1960s a movie studio was planing to buy the town and use it for old western's movies but i don't think that ever happened.

Happy ghosttowning
Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
11-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Honuboy: Ya talkin' about the Big Bell Mine?? OJ

honuboy311
11-20-2005, 08:14 PM
OJ
the mine with all the crystals, is that the big bell mine?

honuboy311
11-21-2005, 05:14 PM
it is definitly not the big bell mine, we basically parked the cars and walked there. my friend's seem to remember it being in the neighborhood of derbyville, which I can't find anywhere.

honuboy311
11-27-2005, 06:32 PM
not sure if this is the same structer or not, ballarat was pretty run down, most buildings in disrepair, jailhouse was nice.
the inyo mine area was by far the best, me and my bros went about 300 yards into the mountain, before we turned around, we will go spend more time there next year. tucki mine was ok, old building was leveled, survival cabin in ok shape. trying to post pics, but 640X480's are too large

honuboy311
11-27-2005, 06:51 PM
pics.
ballarat
inyomine
tucki mine

David A. Wright
12-17-2005, 06:29 PM
... and the other ghost camp is "Bevenridge" and is said to be very rewarding, And is said to be near New York Peak in Sierra's, in east of Owens Valley California.That town is Beveridge. It's near New York Butte in the Inyo Range, east of the Owens Valley. The Sierra Nevada is on the west side of Owens Valley. Beveridge lies in Beveridge Canyon, on the east side of the Inyo Range. It's reputed to be a tough hike and recommended for those in good physical shape.

The Kid
12-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Honouboy,
I have been very happy with my DeLorme and have both the Topo and street atlas, both work with there GPS antana sold seperatly. but might be avaliable as a package
Al

Johnnie
12-20-2005, 06:42 AM
pics.
ballarat
inyomine
tucki mine
Thanks! for sharing those photographs. That photo of an adobe. looks like the one in my photo but from a different direction thanks again for the pictures.

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
02-04-2006, 08:26 AM
thanks
Honuboy311, have you been to any ghost towns in or around Owens Valley lately?
J & S

honuboy311
02-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Haven't gone anywhere since DV. I am heading out to the Calico area this weekend. Got any leads on the Camp Rock area??? or anything else in the vicinity?

Johnnie
02-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Goldroad, but i think thats off limits now but there is so many others in the same locality. But if you feel adventures there is that trail that starts at Yearmo, and gos eastward to Fort Piute. We check over some of our old maps we have, and give you some more ideas later on when we get more time.

Johnnie & Sheila

honuboy311
09-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Starting the plan for this years thanksgiving trip. Goler wash to manson ranch. Any suggestions for well preserved out of the way mining towns?

thanks

bachelorsgrove85
09-26-2006, 03:03 AM
check out skidoo

honuboy311
09-26-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm looking for something a little more than just a sign that says something to the effect of this is where the town used to be. Bear in mind that this will be my 20th+ trip out there, i'm looking for the secret stuff.

honuboy311
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
So nobody has any info? i think we are gonna try to make it to the mansion ranch, maybe back to the inyo mines, still wish I could find out where our crystal mines are. What's the current price of diesel in ridgecrest, beaty? Gonna tow the pathfinder out there this year behind my F350 4x4, any problems taking it through Titus canyon, long bed crew cab. Where is all the information? With the death valley us site down I don't know where to go for my info.

Johnnie
11-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Honuboy, My photo that appears on every post is of me in ballarat, California That old adobe wall and foundation was what was left of a building on main street looking N/E cooking ham & eggs The photograph was taking by "Seldom Seen Slim" with my camera in 1963. This old prospector said he had already spent 40 years in Ballarat and and loved every minute of it, and was a pal of another old prospector "Shorty Harris" who discovered the famouse "Bullfrogg" mine Slim use to tell us that "Shorty" dicovered a lot of gold stikes in California, Nevada, "The Man That Could Walk To Gold" was Slim's favorite saying, and added that "Shorty" just had that gift.

If you do make it to Ballarat, check and see if that foundation is still there and if you can please post your photos for rest of us to see what Ballarat, looks like today, we hope that there is still something left for future generations to see. Back in the 1960s a movie studio was planing to buy the town and use it for old western's movies but i don't think that ever happened.

Happy ghosttowning
Johnnie & Sheila

We noticed on your latest post this A. M. that you are headed out to D. V. again for 20th trip let us know if you plan any trips to areas that all of us suggested last year.

J & S

honuboy311
11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
any ideas???

Johnnie
11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
any ideas???

Never heard of Debyville, honuboy, Give us fellowghosttowners some more leads, is it in or around D. V ? You mentioned that you were planing trip to that area for your next adventure. pass on some more information so we all can help you. We are sure all of us could come up with something to help you on your request. :confused:

Johnnie & Sheila

honuboy311
11-14-2006, 07:23 PM
best I can remember, somewhere in the vicintity of rhyolyte to beatty. but it was a long time ago and the old people, my parents and there friends, can't remember. plan is to visit the inyo mine area on friday morning, then hit up beatty and take titus canyon back to stovepipe. saturday head out to the barker(mansion) ranch if the rigs can make it, anything in that area that we should know about?

bad bob
11-14-2006, 07:39 PM
And some folks say "r"s are not all that important....
readin', ritin', and rithmatic.

Booya (can I type that, even if I'm not a Marine?)
bb.

High Desert Drifter
11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
So nobody has any info? i think we are gonna try to make it to the mansion ranch, maybe back to the inyo mines, still wish I could find out where our crystal mines are. What's the current price of diesel in ridgecrest, beaty? Gonna tow the pathfinder out there this year behind my F350 4x4, any problems taking it through Titus canyon, long bed crew cab. Where is all the information? With the death valley us site down I don't know where to go for my info.

Carefull, I heard that 2 miles past the Barker Ranch (Manson cabin) that the trail gets really bad. hope you have a locker and winch if your
heading to the Inyo's. Might i suggest "Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps" by Stan Paher. and "Inside Death Valley" by Chuck gebhardt and Tom Willis. Both very informative on Death Valley.

honuboy311
11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
locker front and rear, and a wench. we are going to barker from the valley side and then back out the same way. we had no trouble getting to the inyo mines last year, we just got there too late and ran out of daylight.

brian10x
11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
"locker front and rear, and a wench"

Does your wife know you call her that in public?

GaryB
11-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Titus Canyon is re-opened and you can do it in a car from what I've heard.

honuboy311
11-16-2006, 07:54 AM
just wondering if my truck will make it. back in the day we used to take everything everywhere there and never got stuck. one year we had my K5, my parents pop top econoline, a volvo wagon, 2 vw busses and no one got stuck anywhere. now we just camp in a parking lot and venture out on day trips:(

teds280z
11-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I was in the Inyo area recently and definatly found 4x4 and lockers a must. But I'm crazy so who knows

GaryB
11-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Try emailing these guys, they have a few outings in DV every year:

http://www.cal4wheel.com/freelanders/freelander.html

Also here:

http://www.cal4wheel.com/

They are the host of Panamint Valley Days.