PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond

lasttoknow
10-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I heard a story of a ghost town somewhere near Black Diamond Wa. Does anyone know if this is true? If so where abouts is it....

Fairlane500
11-28-2005, 07:17 PM
The town you are mentioning is probably Franklin, which may be listed on the site. It is accessed by trail from the Black Diamond side of the Green River Gorge. I believe not much remains except a rail grade, foundations, and a cemetary.

Farther out, the communities of Kanaskat, Selleck, Kangley, and Cumberland can be considered semi-ghost.

FBTdra9
01-06-2007, 11:05 PM
I live in the area and can count at least ten old ghost town sites around here but sadly, with our climate and blackberries, there is rarely anything in tact. Most were mining or lumber towns and therefore were removed when the operations closed. If you drive through Black Diamond, Ravensdale (which is actually the neighboring town of what is now called Ravensdale which is really Georgetown), Selleck, Palmer, Cumberland, Kangley, and many more, you will see groups of small homes in rows or circles around a field. There is usually a larger building near by and a big owners home. These are the old company towns. Selleck has been put on the historic register. My favorite find is in old Preston. They still have Sweedish dinners at the community hall where the homes circle a play field and the old company store can be seen at the other end of the field. This is one of at least two company towns in Preston. You feel like you have been yanked back in history even though they are inhabited.
When I was little, my Mom was an advid ghost town hunter. She found Kerriston which in the 80s was revived after a long abandonment but there is nothing old now to find.
I am most interested in the cemetaries but I fear they get grown over and dissappear first, with the exception of Franklin.

FBTdra9
01-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh yeah, and there is Taylor but you have to sneak in. You didn't hear that from me. Many of the chimneys in Hobart, Maple Valley, and surrounding areas are from gleaned bricks carried out of Taylor after the brick making town was swallowed by the watershed.