PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Archeology - Seneca, Wilmot, and Rosemont Junction - AZ

Watt Noise
10-21-2005, 09:08 PM
This is a link to a post on an aerial photography forum about the latest ghost town photos I've done...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429747

If anyone might have some insight to the Wilmot location, I would appreciate it... Found the site on an 1890's map of AZ, and always amazing to me, directions to it on MapQuest...

Another crossroads nearby was called Rankin, AZ... Probably not going to be able to get pics of this one though - it's behind the fence of the Air Force base... But, if anyone has any info about it, I might be intrigued to pursue getting permission to get access to it some which way...

Again, I hope it's OK with GT.com that I post the link... It's just that the AP forum has more space for photos, and I do put a link to here from there as well... If there is a problem, just let me know and I'll edit it...

Watt Noise Aerial Photography (http://wattnoise.com)
Kevin

raiders81
04-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I really enjoy the photos you post. It seems like a very entertaining hobby. I was out to Seneca last year. It was a fun trip. Have you by chance been to Mule Hoof. Around the northe end of the Lake about 7 to eight miles NW??? I am looking for some recent info. Doesn't seem like many people have been out there lately. Exactly what Im looking for :D :D

Joel
04-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I've been planning on seeing what was left on Rankin myself, it's less than 4 miles from my house (but being an Air Force Brat and a USMC vet, I know better than to cross that fence!) It looks like the old Wilmot Station might be gone.
I think along South Alvernon Way, there is now a Station Master Road by Volvo Rentals or something like that. Might want to check that out.
If you're interested on the Desmond Station, it looks like they're going to build a F!!!!!!! Walmart or something there! Better hurry, Vail is booming and the folks gotta shop!

brian10x
04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I've been planning on seeing what was left on Rankin myself, it's less than 4 miles from my house (but being an Air Force Brat and a USMC vet, I know better than to cross that fence!) It looks like the old Wilmot Station might be gone.
I think along South Alvernon Way, there is now a Station Master Road by Volvo Rentals or something like that. Might want to check that out.
If you're interested on the Desmond Station, it looks like they're going to build a F!!!!!!! Walmart or something there! Better hurry, Vail is booming and the folks gotta shop!

I live right off Alvernon and Benson hwy.

If I find out I've driven right past a good find all these years I'm going to have a fit.

Really I am.

Watt Noise
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I really enjoy the photos you post. It seems like a very entertaining hobby. I was out to Seneca last year. It was a fun trip. Have you by chance been to Mule Hoof. Around the northe end of the Lake about 7 to eight miles NW??? I am looking for some recent info. Doesn't seem like many people have been out there lately. Exactly what Im looking for :D :D
Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed these. I didn't make it to Mule Hoof at the time because I was in a passenger type car. I think this site lists as capable to go in a car, but I wasn't going to chance going any further than about the mile I did go. It wasn't exactly the best road. A pick-up or at the least a car you don't care about ;) would be advisable to travel back there - IMO.

I have taken aerial shots of the Rankin location - nothing there. The aircraft storage area has obliterated it.

Sad to hear about Esmond Station... I tell visitors in the museum about it and about the fire that destroyed it in 2003 when the high school was about to be built ... hmmmm - :mad: ... I had thought that the site retained its State protected status, but I guess not... This sort of thing would not happen in New Mexico... Our state needs to get a grip on protecting historic sites...

By the way - HI everyone... I've missed coming by GT... I'll try to do better and you locals ought come by the Museum of the Horse Soldier and see what we're doing... You'd really like it - ask for me, and I'll give you the grand tour.

Kevin Vanderslice, Curator
Museum of the Horse Soldier
Tucson, Arizona

brian10x
04-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed these. I didn't make it to Mule Hoof at the time because I was in a passenger type car. I think this site lists as capable to go in a car, but I wasn't going to chance going any further than about the mile I did go. It wasn't exactly the best road. A pick-up or at the least a car you don't care about ;) would be advisable to travel back there - IMO.

I have taken aerial shots of the Rankin location - nothing there. The aircraft storage area has obliterated it.

Sad to hear about Esmond Station... I tell visitors in the museum about it and about the fire that destroyed it in 2003 when the high school was about to be built ... hmmmm - :mad: ... I had thought that the site retained its State protected status, but I guess not... This sort of thing would not happen in New Mexico... Our state needs to get a grip on protecting historic sites...

By the way - HI everyone... I've missed coming by GT... I'll try to do better and you locals ought come by the Museum of the Horse Soldier and see what we're doing... You'd really like it - ask for me, and I'll give you the grand tour.

Kevin Vanderslice, Curator
Tucson, Arizona

This might be a good opportunity to promote the museum.
What is the address and hours?

Watt Noise
04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
This might be a good opportunity to promote the museum.
What is the address and hours?
:D OK - I will... Good to see you're still kickin' the dust up around the desert Brian...

6651 E Tanque Verde Rd
Tucson, AZ

It is the large building to your right just as you enter the parking lot to Trail Dust Town (Pinnacle Peak). It is an accredited private collection museum with original Dragoon to Cavalry items, uniforms, and relics from the 1830's to WW 2. About 10,000 items displayed!

Hours: 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM every day.

Adult admission is 2 bucks and it absolutely goes to our preservation and acquisition efforts...

My schedule open to visitors is:
Sunday - 3:00 to 7:00
Mon thru Wed - 1:00 to 7:00
99% of the time I'm in there Thursdays from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM wrapping things up but I've got the door open in case someone wants to come by before it's "officially" open...

Wed, Fri, and Sun nights the historian of the museum, Steve Szabo, is there. I would highly recommend coming in when he's around if you want to learn about every nook and cranny of southern AZ...

If you'd like to call me - PM me and be sure to have the number you'll be calling from so I can identify it on my cell phone's caller ID...

Thanks for the shout out Brian - ;) ...

Kevin

tuutuutango
05-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Man, I need to sell my Cessna and do this by RC... Avgas is around $6 per gallon and it cost me about $100 an hour to operate my airplane (at the end of the year when all costs are factored into the hours operated and engine reserve/overhaul factor).

Your pictures have really good resolution. What camera do you use?

I have a couple of Mamiya RB-67s (that weigh more than your RC) and are ancient.

Watt Noise
05-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Man, I need to sell my Cessna and do this by RC... Avgas is around $6 per gallon and it cost me about $100 an hour to operate my airplane (at the end of the year when all costs are factored into the hours operated and engine reserve/overhaul factor).

Your pictures have really good resolution. What camera do you use?

I have a couple of Mamiya RB-67s (that weigh more than your RC) and are ancient.
Dang-it! I dunno why but GT doesn't seem to send me e-mails about thread responses... Sorry about not getting back sooner...

Anyways - I currently use a Canon A640... Most of the pics here are either an S-80 or an old A-300 (Canons)... Only camera I've ever hurt was the S-80 - still haven't sent it in for repair... Bad landing ;) OK OK - REALLY bad landing... I think I've still got the movie on-line of the incident somewhere (even set to music - A Day in the Life, Beatles)... LOL... If I can find it I'll post the link so everyone can get a good laugh... I was trying to video a friends airplane flying with my airplane and things "got out of hand"... Hey - one dead airplane/camera in 5 years ain't bad!...:rolleyes:

Kevin