PDA

View Full Version : Lightning and Thunderstorms

oregon4wd
10-29-2005, 01:31 AM
I suppose this is an unusual topic. I usually travel in the Great Basin region and during the last few years I seem to have encountered more than my share of thunderstorms. I understand about staying in the vehicle, not camping in areas prone to flash-floods and not on high areas. Seeking refuge in treeless areas can be difficult sometimes. Are there any tips for waiting them out instead driving a hundred miles off course to avoid it or am I a target if I stay? Any recommendations, experiences? (I admit to some paranoia during strong storms... ok, maybe alot!) Thanks, Doug

Bob
10-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Watch the horizon, I've seen flash floods appear in a draw when the sky above was clear but there was an angry cloud hovering over a hill 10 miles away.

If your out hiking and you feel the hair on your head start to stand (kiterally(, dive to a prone position on the ground (better to get a bit muddy than become a statistic).

I like staying in a car (Safe place to be if the tires are inflated and you have a roof) during a tunderstorm as I love em, the bring life to my desert BUT my traveling companion and ghost town hunting buddy Bagel, a 10 year old beagle, thinks lighning is a person invitation from the Gods to him to go sniffing. SO as soon as the lighning has passed, I tend to get muddy following a eager beagle through the wet ground.