PDA

View Full Version : The National in Humboldt County

Jonnyscotti
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Hello, new member here. Just need a little information. How do you get to the National Mine in Humboldt County? According to this website it is located north east of Orovada but how do you get there? Thanks.

GaryB
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Depends on where you are coming from. But you head East from US 95 (also called the Veterans Memorial Highway) on National Canyon Road. IIRC it's marked on the highway by an old sign. Roughly 25 miles north of Orvadaand roughly 8 miles south of the Oregon border at McDermitt. I was up there once but never made it to that mine. There are quite a few in the area though, you could easily hit 6 or more in a day while there. I went over a pass south of it, I'd say you might need a 4X or at least a high clearence vehicle depending on how well it's maintained. Where we were it wasn't too bad, just slow going.

Jonnyscotti
01-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Thank you for the info Gary, I will definitely be checking that out this spring.

GaryB
01-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Since you are from Nevada, I'd say pick up a Nevada Atlas by Delorme or the Nevada map book by Benchmark Maps. The Benchmark is supposed to be newer up to date, but I have found that both have info that the other doesn't have :rolleyes: Also, a copy of the NDOT Map Book is good to have for older info. You should find all at Borders Books or Barnes & Noble online or even a good hunting/supply store. There's also a dozen different online map servers such as Google Earth, Topozone and the like that are good for finding places.

Other than here, another good site for places to look into is Shawn Hall's: http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/gtlist.htm

Stanley Paher's Mine Atlas is also good, but most of the pics are out dated.

I just find places and look them up in the maps and go from there. Half the fun is the exploring IMO :D