PDA

View Full Version : Simpson Camp 5

Grisdalekid
01-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone out there might have any pictures that they might like to share from the old Simpson Camp 5 site in the Wynoochee valley in Grays Harbor County, Washington? I grew up in Grisdale, and I remember some of the old-timers that lived in Camp 5 that had some great pictures. Some of the houses for Grisdale were actually from Camp 5 and they actually put the houses on the train and moved them to the Grisdale site. The school house was moved from Camp 5 in three pieces.

JTWORK
07-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there might have any pictures that they might like to share from the old Simpson Camp 5 site in the Wynoochee valley in Grays Harbor County, Washington? I grew up in Grisdale, and I remember some of the old-timers that lived in Camp 5 that had some great pictures. Some of the houses for Grisdale were actually from Camp 5 and they actually put the houses on the train and moved them to the Grisdale site. The school house was moved from Camp 5 in three pieces.

Hello, I was searching for info for an up coming trip to that area to see where my grandfather worked and my mother was born. I have MANY early photos of camp 5. My grandfather Worked for Simpson 1897 to 1903, then Blakely 1903 to 1907 then back to Simpson 1907 to 1915 as Camp 5 foreman until he was shot by a disgruntled worker in 1915. I would be happy to share these photos and would appreciate any info on finding Camp 5 for our upcoming trip to the area this August. Attached photo- Joe Stertz center Thanks
Joe Workman - Nebraska

Grisdalekid
11-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Joe,
If your Grandfather worked at Camp 5 during the early 1900's I would guess it was the Camp 5 located between the Satsop river and Canyon river on the old Simpson rail line. There were actually three Camp 5's that Simpson owned. If you find a copy of the Dave James book "Grisdale: Last of the Logging camps" there is a map on the inside cover with the approximate locations of the different camps.
Good luck.

Gravelrash
11-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Hello, I was searching for info for an up coming trip to that area to see where my grandfather worked and my mother was born. I have MANY early photos of camp 5. My grandfather Worked for Simpson 1897 to 1903, then Blakely 1903 to 1907 then back to Simpson 1907 to 1915 as Camp 5 foreman until he was shot by a disgruntled worker in 1915. I would be happy to share these photos and would appreciate any info on finding Camp 5 for our upcoming trip to the area this August. Attached photo- Joe Stertz center Thanks
Joe Workman - Nebraska

JT - if you feel like posting any more of those pictures, you just go right ahead!
Love that one you did post.

JTWORK
12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
JT - if you feel like posting any more of those pictures, you just go right ahead!
Love that one you did post.
Here are a few of the many photos we have. We visited the area last summer. (Joe Stertz on horse). Grisdalekid: you are right about the three camps. I have the book you mentioned. My grandfather is on pg 15 (upper left) cutting the 'camp 5' stump and on pg 21 (center) of the Matlock Batchlors' club. A disgruntled employee shot and killed my grandfather and 4 others on the Wynoochee bridge in 1915. I hope the attachments are ok. - not too sure about attaching

Gravelrash
12-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Wow - fantastic! It must give you a lot of pride to see your family roots so deep in the growing America. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore. Great photos, and thanks for sharing them.
More?

speedy
12-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks for sharing your pics.Speedy