PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about the following

staples
01-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi, I am new here to this site. I was hoping someone could help me out with some info on the following sites. Like if they are on private property or if anything is still there, some directions or round about area of location.

Gilpin County, Colorado

Antelope- know that it is north of Tolland and that is was a switch station for the railroad over Corona Pass

Hughseville-

Mountain City-

Thanks, my internet searches are coming up empty.

Have a great Day!

old judge
01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Staples: Have you looked around this site? Have you looked at the various sites? Have you searched the forum for info? In less than thirty minutes of looking about, I have most of the info you seek. Aside from those who went before, nobody been nursemaidin' me. Hit it a lick. OJ

staples
01-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Wow, thanks for making me feel welcomed to this chat board Old Judge!

I was not asking for you to "nursemaid" me, only for some helpful info. You know, interesting things about the sites from people who had been there before. Helpful things I should know about going like if they are on private property meaning I need permission. Obviously, from your response helpful info is not something that I will find here, but sarcasm and a stranger making assumptions about my intentions I will get.

Bob
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I agree OJ - I read the "...my internet searches are coming up empty..." and dismiised this request.

After his response I did a 30 second Google and found all sorts of information on:

Antelope: Antelope Ten miles up the old Moffat Road railroad line from Rollinsville, Colorado, a railroad switching station and construction town sprang up called Antelope. During the building of the Moffat Road's "Hill Route," the town was especially alive. Antelope remained a construction headquarters even after the railroad construction moved on. (This one is a little tricky search because Antelope the Critter and Gilpin give you lots of bogus hits.

Hughesville: 1870s Mining Camp, Grew around the Hard Money mine.

Mountain City: Perhaps had the First Saloon in the Rockies, The Post office was established in 1859 whilst still part of Kansas Territory and continued until 1869 when the PO was moved to Central City. The first Church Service in the area was a Sermon on June 12, 1859 in Mountain City. Also had the first Masonic Temple and first show in the Colorado Rockies which was a production of Hadley Loft's "Cross of Gold".

I tend to agree with you OJ but if Staples is serious, there are many who would help!

Staples: If your serious and not just lazy; the key here is share what you know first so we know how to respond.

old judge
01-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Staples: Welcome to this site. Keep in mind that I am just a guy who has access. I have no right to welcome you or not. But I do welcome you. And I say to you, search this site, search again, and go on from there. When you've done so, ask a question about something of interest to you and I will help all I can. So will Bob. So will Johnnie. So will others. I may have a little "been there, done that" attitude. I apologize. But it ain't the site's fault....It's Mine. Mike