PDA

View Full Version : Ghosttowns.com Campout

Flatiron
02-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Any plans for a spring/summer Ghost town rally in 2006?

Johnnie
02-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks Flatiron, for staying on top of todays events, and reminding us what is around the bend.

Sheila & Johnnie

GaryB
02-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Sounds interesting. So far myself, it looks like my wife and I will be checking out some towns around Sunnyside, Nevada during Easter.

ghost_town_huntress
02-17-2006, 10:24 PM
There are plans in the works for a Rally this summer. I don't really know much information other than that there is definitely going to be one. I'll let post an update here when I get the official announcement as to when and where it is.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

old judge
02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Any thoughts about New Mexico? Good pickin's and closer to us midlanders.. Just a thought. OJ

GaryB
02-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Any thoughts about New Mexico? Good pickin's and closer to us midlanders.. Just a thought. OJ

And we could be Minutemen for a day too!

Flatiron
02-19-2006, 03:35 AM
How about Arizona? Lots of interesting ghost towns/mining camps/etc. to visit down this way. AND, it would be about half way in between for Johnnie and OJ. Well, maybe not. GaryB, Rocky, Yet Another Bob, and others would probably like to see it a little closer to where they live. It don't matter to me. Hey! OJ has some great guest quarters, and he and his bride probably wouldn't mind a fire ring in their front yard. After all, Oklahoma is OK! We wouldn't need to dig a privy either..............How about it OJ?

GaryB
02-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't mind a drive as long as I have plenty of warning to set aside time off. Plus the wife is a teacher which doesn't always allow for convenient trip planning. Maybe something in the four corners area would be interesting?

I still need to get up to Idaho to visit the GT my mother was born in too.

ghost_town_huntress
02-20-2006, 10:36 PM
From what I've heard it's going to be California, so we can still be minutemen!

GaryB
02-24-2006, 11:24 PM
From what I've heard it's going to be California, so we can still be minutemen!

Ehhh, it's too late for Calexico ;) Depending on when and were in Cali though, I might be able to get some friends to go along.

GaryB
03-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Any news? :)

azdave
03-24-2006, 12:20 AM
And we could be Minutemen for a day too!
... and it would give you an excuse to walk along the border area looking for GTs ... :-)

Johnnie
05-29-2006, 06:40 AM

Flatiron, What is the latest news on the campout?
J & S ;)

Flatiron
05-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Johnnie...........I haven't heard anything on the Campout for 2006.When I do, I'll let you know..........:cool:

Johnnie
05-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Johnnie...........I haven't heard anything on the Campout for 2006.When I do, I'll let you know..........:cool:

Sounds good!
Sheila & Johnnie

GaryB
11-10-2006, 08:17 PM
So, I take it there's no campout for the Summer of '06? :p

Johnnie
03-14-2007, 06:14 AM

What is new about Ghost Town Town Ralley campout for spring/summer 07, campout. Flatiron, did you make the last one? ;)

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
03-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I propose the 2007 campout be held in Turnbull Canyon, I suspect we'd have lots of attendees and we wouldn't be lacking for entertainment. It might be even more fun than the usual border walks. :D :eek:

GaryB
03-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Or y'all could come to Lincoln County, NV on June 2nd & 3rd and join me in a trail run :p

I'm sure I'd have room for you.

LauraA
03-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Or y'all could come to Lincoln County, NV on June 2nd & 3rd and join me in a trail run :p
I'm sure I'd have room for you.

Kewl, I'm packin' my pajamas, hair rollers and ill tempered Schnauzer. I'd like warm milk before bedtime please and a wake-up call at 7AM. :p :D

High Desert Drifter
03-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I propose the 2007 campout be held in Turnbull Canyon, I suspect we'd have lots of attendees and we wouldn't be lacking for entertainment. It might be even more fun than the usual border walks. :D :eek:

I'm up for Turnbull Canyon Too!! we can let all the freaks loose and video tape them running around and crapping their pants and racing their Corvettes off cliffs! BRING YOUR VIDEO CAMERAS AND CALL AMERICA'S FUNNIEST VIDEOS IN ADVANCE - HECK, THIS WILL BE BETTER THAN JACKAZZ-2!!!

Flatiron
03-15-2007, 03:58 AM
Hi Johnnie................Yes, we did make the last GT Campout, but didn't spend the night, as we lived so close to the camp area, and just drove out in the mornings and meet up with everybody.There was a pretty good turnout, and we had a great time hitting some new(for us) GTs and old mining camps. We didn't organize the campout, and the folks who did really didn't want to advertise it, and kept it a small gathering, which was really nice. Anyway, we don't know much about the 2007 Campout, but if somebody would like to put one on, we may be up for it. Though, I have to say, if it's in Turnbull Canyon, we won't be there...................;) :cool:

ghost_town_huntress
03-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Cat asked me to plan the 2007 Rally. We're doing it in central Idaho this year, Cat would like to do it in May, but I think it'd be better to hold off until July to make sure the snow's melted.

High Desert Drifter
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Cat asked me to plan the 2007 Rally. We're doing it in central Idaho this year, Cat would like to do it in May, but I think it'd be better to hold off until July to make sure the snow's melted.

Please keep us posted on the dates, sites to be visited etc... so we can look up history and gps cords. prior. As you can see I am currently bored!

NWNative
03-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Central Idaho would be great! That's close enough to us to do!
Central is a pretty general trem - any idea which part? Yellowjacket perhaps? I'm sure you have far vaster recourses than mine, but I've got a few books that we picked up for the last trip. Also, I've got some pictures of the dredge and a few GTs in the Yankee Fork area.

Wait - I drive a #@!## minivan. Do you think anyone would notive if one day it came home as a Jeep?

Can you rent a 4-wheel drive and actually use it off road?

Please keep us posted!

David A. Wright
03-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Can you rent a 4-wheel drive and actually use it off road?
Depends on who you rent from. Some companies A.) have heavy penalties implied buried in the fine print of the contract; while B.) some companies disable the 4x4 mechanism either manually or electrically.

I used to rent from Avis when they rented Chevrolet/GMC S-10 Blazers and they worked just fine. I once turned back in a jet black one fully pinstriped. It was terrible! I tried to wash the thing, but when it was dry, boy did those pinstripes shine! :p But they never said a word.

If you find a company that rents 4x4s that are not disabled, hobbled, or won't execute you for driving on a bladed dirt road, take a hard look at their tires. It's a given that the tires will be the OEM tires that came on the vehicle, which means in almost all cases they'll be passenger car rated. In other words, you'll likely have a "really thin spare" on anything rocky.

If you can locate a company that rents a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, you'll be fine. Heck, you might even be able to rent one from your local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer!

Check with Cat, she used to work for my local Ford dealership, so she can maybe give you some ideas/suggestions in that department.

ghost_town_huntress
03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
You know, I was looking at the Yellowjacket area as a matter of fact, but still not quite sure yet. I'm taking a trip up to Idaho next month to visit my sister and was going to check out some ghost towns I had in mind while I'm up there. And yes, I have rented a 4x4 for some offroading before (for the Ely Rally) and we scratched up the paint really bad and the rental place said that they were going to contact us about paying for the paint job but then they never did. Anyway, I'll post a few updates on this year's Rally from time to time, so keep an eye out for them.

NWNative
03-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I shouldn't have gotten rid of the Rover. Oh wait - it was on a tow truck more often than the road.
Although, when it ran it was a great off road driver. (When I say off road - I am a little less agressive about it than some of y'all. A little more than some dirt road but I'm not a big fan of off-camber, sheer drop, imminent death driving.)
A jeep next time. My son would love that!

LauraA
03-21-2007, 05:12 AM
It would be fun BUMPING along in this little gem. :D

2007 Wrangler Rubicon

Mikejts
04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
So what is the latest on the Rally for 2007?. Been sort of preoccupied lately (last 4.5 months) but am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Should be back at ghost towning mid May. That is if they let me out. :D

GaryB
04-13-2007, 09:27 PM
So what is the latest on the Rally for 2007?. Been sort of preoccupied lately (last 4.5 months) but am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Should be back at ghost towning mid May. That is if they let me out. :D

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=15285&referrerid=764