PDA

View Full Version : Morley, Colorado anyone?

rsoczac
02-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Hi!

My grandparents (father's side) lived and worked in a mining town called Morley in Colorado in the late 1920's and early 30's. Does anyone have any maps or information regarding this place that I hope to visit some day?

Thanks.

40FORDJIM
02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
According to the book "Ghost Towns Colorado Style, Volume Three" copyright 2001 the only thing left is the front of the church. All of the other buildings were torn down by the coal mining company. Permission to visit must be obtained from a developer that is selling the site. Need more info? contact me at jpershing@zianet.com

Mikejts
02-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi!

My grandparents (father's side) lived and worked in a mining town called Morley in Colorado in the late 1920's and early 30's. Does anyone have any maps or information regarding this place that I hope to visit some day?

Thanks.
This was the response to a question about the town someone asked me several months ago. (see below) You can also find more info if you type in Morley in the search bar on this site.

What you were looking at was the ruins of a town called Morley and the St Aloysius Catholic Church. It is on private land but a public road gets you close. Last time I was there I got permission to enter from the developer. It was a coal mining town that was in operation into the 1950's. The town was built as a mining town and occupants all had identical houses, company stores, and company scripts for groceries and the like.

If you look close as you travel on the road you will see other sites like Starkville. I-25 also follows the old Santa Fe trail over the mountains at Raton Pass.

old judge
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Go to www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com/) and click on view maps. Go to 37-01-58 N, 104-30-19 W, a I'll bet it's right in your crosshairs. Also see posts on this site in July, 2005 "Ghost town between Trinidad and Raton". Old Judge

old judge
02-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Johnnie: You and Sheila ever get up that bumpy road between Trinidad and Raton? Might be worth your while.. OJ

Johnnie
02-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Johnnie: You and Sheila ever get up that bumpy road between Trinidad and Raton? Might be worth your while.. OJ
Thanks for tip and staying on top of todays roads to these remote ghost towns. Obstacles, are a problem sometimes but are not as plentiful as last year.

Johnnie & Sheila

speedbman
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
My father in law grew up in Morley. He is still alive at 98 years old and remembers everything. We were just having a discussion about the place over breakfast this morning. Anything you want me to ask him? He knows the place or what it was very well. He was showing me pictures of the church and the company store, entrance to the mine with all the orr cars and employees. Cool stuff. I want to make a trip out to see this place. My father in law lives now in CA, but I live in Ruidoso, NM.

virhum
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
This thread is interesting, my Father was born in Morley. My grandfather and his brothers all worked the coal mine. My Grandfather was a Pancho Villa soldier before he moved to Morley in the 20s.

bernadette
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I was born in Morley in 1950; the mine closed down in about 1955. My father had 17 brothers and sisters and most of the brothers, and the sisters' husbands worked in the mine. My grandfather and his 3 brothers came into southern Colorado from Lombardia, Italy, about 1890 to work these various coal-mines. My mother's family also worked these mines; her father was a mine foreman at Morley. I have 2 aunts still alive who were born in Morley around 1930. I have many, many pictures of the area and would probably share information on this very personal GhostTown.

DiddleySquat
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Morley is near Trinidad. A picture of the old church is at this site (http://www.trinidadco.com/main/history/).

http://184.172.50.87/~trinidad/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Wolff-Morley-300x225.jpg

streetglideok
05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
My grandfather was born in Morley in June of 1913. Cant say how long he lived there, as his dad worked for the railroad. Would be interesting to find any of the familys who would have crossed paths back then.
Btw I'm new to the forums, if you couldn't tell,lol.

streetglideok
06-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Went down to the townsite today, well to the fence anyways, and snapped some pics. Can see about posting them for anyone who wants me to.