PDA

View Full Version : San Fernando Valley caves and other cool places

coolguy0621
02-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok guys please post any caves or cool places you know or are interseted in, in or around the general area of the San Fernado Valley, Southern Cali.

NME
02-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok guys please post any caves or cool places you know or are interseted in, in or around the general area of the San Fernado Valley, Southern Cali.
Have you been huffing paint?

coolguy0621
02-18-2006, 08:52 PM
There is a bat cave in West hills off of Valley Circle and Vanowen. Take the 101, get off at valley circle and head north to vanowen. At vanowen make a left (west), and the trail head's up on the left about 400 feet. Hit the trail and keep on the upper trail to the left untill the trail runs into a fence and splits, this will probally take about 15-20 minutes. Take the north trail that heads to the stream. Once you pass the stream stay on the trail and the cave is up on hill right in front of you 500 feet. You can climb up in side of it and end up on top. If you get to the ridge line, directly to your east on the edge of the ridge line was castle peak, untill some kid blew it up. There still is some cool rock formations there.

GaryB
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
You could look here for some info: http://p073.ezboard.com/bancientlosttreasures

They have a cave forum and other interesting stuff. Most of the caves I've found are from folks in the local spelunker group. You should be able to find a local chapter here: http://www.caves.org/

This is the link site to the local chapter in my home town: http://www.guanopage.com/links/links.html

coolguy0621
02-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey thanks for the info. man! I'm still going to post stuff here in hopes that someone will write back and tell where some cool spots are.

coolguy0621
03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Ok guys, NME is right; no one wants to share their places with everyone else. So Post away if you want to but I'm not going to post anymore caves untill I see some good notes here first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GaryB
03-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I think the problem is not many on here are into caves per say. I know of a few around here, but they are so well known and recorded on some sites that they are almost impossible not to find. Most spelunkers tend to be protective because of the bad apples. Can't blame them really, since the same bad apples are why a few of us are tight lipped about some of our prized little towns and mines. I've looked and looked for a few places I really wanted to go to and myself have found how hard it is to get any valid info.

I'd hook up with the nearest cave group and after a few times with them and they feel they can trust you, they can open you eyes to some new places with out fear of you being a "bad apple".

coolguy0621
03-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks Gary B, I did take a look at the site you talked about. I was having problems locating the local chapters you were talking about. I'm not a computer ninja at all. So at any rate I will search more in-depth. And let you know here!

And you are right about the bad apples, I can't blame anyone eather. I would not want most of my spots on the world wide web for everyone to read, I geuss I was not thinking about every one else who is watching when I started this post.

I geuss the way to link up with good people who know what you want to know is not on the web. Because I'm sure people use the web to pass on info. to their buddies and no one knows who is watching on public fourms like this one. And how are you going to get on a private one with out knowing anyone? Your not. I'm still going to heed Gary B's advice, and I thank him for being cool about it too. And I'll still check places like this one for stuff once and a while, but this is very discouraging.

GaryB
03-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's the link to the California Grotto's

http://www.caves.org/io/iolookup.php

caver
03-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Most cavers I know practice some sort of secrecy concerning cave locations. People have this urge to write their name on the wall or break the formations off for a souvenir.
Like Gary said, we do the same thing with our favorite little known ghost town/mining areas.
Some Grottos (caving club) can be real leary of outsiders. I had the same treatment when I got involved in organized caving.
The NSS has a message forum which might be a good place to start.

coolguy0621
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys, its good to know there is still some cool people out there! I wish I had some info. you guys could use as well. If so let me know.:D

coolguy0621
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys, its good to know there is still some cool people out there! I wish I had some info. you guys could use as well. If so let me know.:D

coolguy0621
03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Oh Well..........

SASHA
03-18-2006, 03:45 PM
You should try hiking Echo Mt in Altadena CA.
Here is a link to the site. http://hikertechnologies.com/echomttn.htm

coolguy0621
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey thanks Sasha,
This looks like an awsome hike, I will check it out as soon as I can. Hey do you know of any web sites for posting hikes or that sort of thing? I would like to know more, and you seem to be as serious as I am about hiking and haunted places.

SASHA
03-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I am pretty serious about hiking and as I have expressed before if there is any paranormal history there then even better. I believe that most places have paranormal activity, it would be selfish and ignorant of us not to believe that being that centuries have passed by leaving imprints of the people and events.
P.S.
I will be back later with some hiking listings for you, where have you hiked?

coolguy0621
03-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I've been all over different parts of Cali. From up North by San Fran, down to Mexico. I've explored parts of pretty much every bordering state as well.

But mostly Just North of the L.A. area, ventura county, SAN BER. county, malibu county, and up the coastal hill ranges northward. Pretty much any big hills around here, I've hiked 'em at one point or another.

PS> that hikertech site is cool how did you find it, SASHA

sillykitty
03-28-2006, 02:42 PM
hi my name is tabitha. does anyone know the directions to the charles manson caves in chatsworth?

coolguy0621
03-28-2006, 03:53 PM
sillykitty - The caves are on spahn ranch, witch is just north of Chatsworth Park, on the back side of the first ridge line. I'm not sure where exactly, I stopped looking for them.

Lizard_Man
09-29-2006, 07:23 PM
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/images/misc/progress.gif IT'S A VERY BAD IDEA TO EXPLORE THE CAVES IN THE AREA. If you people are smart you'll give up any attempt to find and explore the "Manson Caves" or any other caves in the Simi hills. The landowners in this area protect them from tresspassers for A VERY GOOD REASON.
YOU WERE WARNED.... STAY AWAY

GaryB
09-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, and stop moving to Vegas too!

brian10x
09-30-2006, 02:46 AM
I found a rare photo of those mutant cave pepole. I was told the photographer barely made it out alive.

Lizard_Man
09-30-2006, 02:49 AM
That's Daron from System of a Down, in the front right corner

coolguy0621
10-19-2006, 02:32 PM
So Lizard man, tell us why you posted your "don't look for the caves" on every thread, and threatened one of my members as well.

LauraA
10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
So Lizard man, tell us why you posted your "don't look for the caves" on every thread, and threatened one of my members as well.

Coolguy, check out reptile man's post on another thread. He's warning us about the pale, mutant people who dwell underground...a true public service dontcha think? :rolleyes:

Manson's Caves - Page 2 - Ghosttowns.com Forums (http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?p=22423#post22423)

GaryB
10-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Coolguy, check out reptile man's post on another thread. He's warning us about the pale, mutant people who dwell underground...a true public service dontcha think? :rolleyes:

I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walkin' through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was lookin' for the place called Lee Ho Fook's
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mien

oh wait, wrong hairy mutant people.

My

bad

:p

brian10x
10-20-2006, 05:17 AM
[quote=GaryB;23071]I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walkin' through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was lookin' for the place called Lee Ho Fook's
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mien

oh wait, wrong hairy mutant people.

If I remember right,his hair was "perfect".

By the way, my bad what?

coolguy0621
10-20-2006, 07:35 AM

Manson's Caves - Page 2 - Ghosttowns.com Forums (http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?p=22423#post22423)

Yeah I read this. oooooo scary, sounds like a hot load of crap if you ask me. I know that there is a facility up in the hills there called rockadine or how ever you spell it, that is hidden way back there and is guarded by security with m-16's. They have also polluted the water or so I hear, they do government nasa type stuff. And the part about a cave system could be true, but mutant people I think not. I've lived in the area for like I don't know 15 years on and off, and I've hiked all over the place. Never once have I seen or heard of such a thing. I think in reality this rodent man is just a resident who dosen't like kids in his hills.

NWNative
10-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Well of course you haven't seen or heard anything! The mutants are silent, they learned to never make noise because sound carries so far in the tunnels. Why you don't see them is a matter of debate. One belief is that the mutations have allowed their skin to change so that they can blend with the environment - like some lizards. The other opinion (and my personal favorite) is that because this is a government project, there is a "veil of secrecy". These are very common in government areas, there is a mind scrubber around the perimeter of the area that eliminates whatever it has been programmed to deleted. For instance, around area 51, anything to do with the alien work force is automatically dleted when you pass through the "Veil". Similar thing here only with mutants.

I thought this would be obvious to y'all.

old judge
10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Coolguy and Native: You poeple just don't get it. AND COOL'S a MODERATOR!!!!!! Just hook Johnnie, Flatiron, and maybe, Gary B., Brian, Laura, etc. up to a truth tellin' machine. That'll settle it. I'm serious about this....OJ...Oh, no need to hook me up..I can beat that thing. OJ

GaryB
10-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Just hook Johnnie, Flatiron, and maybe, Gary B., Brian, Laura, etc. up to a truth tellin' machine. OJ

Isn't that that game you put a quarter in to find out if you are in love, how strong your grip is, you know, the one outside the supermarkets?

LauraA
10-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me. :cool:

GaryB
10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
I know that there is a facility up in the hills there called rockadine or how ever you spell it, that is hidden way back there and is guarded by security with m-16's. They have also polluted the water or so I hear, they do government nasa type stuff.

Are you talking about the "Rocket Hill" outside Edwards?

coolguy0621
10-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Are you talking about the "Rocket Hill" outside Edwards?

No this is in the hills of Chatsworth/simi Valley Souithern Cali.

housejunkie5000
06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
hi my name is tabitha. does anyone know the directions to the charles manson caves in chatsworth?

its located on Santa Suzana Pass just off the 118 @ topanga cyn. if you make a right on S.S.P. from coming from the 118 freeway its just down the road to your left on the south side of the street. Its near the church, you'll notice it by two white pillar gate posts and a electronic gate with a controll call box, a road leads onto the property from there, ain't nothing on property anymore burnt down a while ago

aclearhaze
12-08-2013, 02:59 PM
The government facility is a rocket testing and nuclear research facility called the SantaSusanna field laboratory. It is accessible by taking plummer west off topanga, going right on woolsey canyon. Proceed to top of hill and go right, not left to the security checkpoint. You can hike the adjacent park (sage ranch) to fulfill your curiosity... please note the soil contains high levels of heavy metals, dioxin, and one of the structures on the testing sight contains high amounts of radiation. Trespassing on the actual base is not recommended, but you can legally walk right up to it and stare at the abandoned facility if that suits you.