PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town & Geocaching

Trinity
03-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Hello all I am new to the list. I have been geocaching for a couple of years and have started a Ghost Town catagory at waymarking.com.

I have started the group and am therefore responsible for accepting locations submitted by members. I was wondering if there is some sort of guidelines I should use in accepting a waymark as a true ghost town.

Thanks
Larry

Mikejts
03-10-2006, 08:19 PM
I can't believe you have not got an answer on this one. Of course I would expect the answers to be as diverse as the forum members. Everyone has opinions about what makes a ghost town. I get several emails a month telling me their town (on my site) is not a ghost town. My definition is on my site. Feel free to use it if it helps. I have mixed emotions about people geocaching at ghost towns. I have seen so much vandalism that to attract more attention to the sites might not be a good thing.

Flatiron
03-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Rocky......I understand your feelings about geocaching in or around ghost towns, but I think most geocachers who take the time and interest to drive or ride to a ghost town, are explorers such as us. There are geocaches at quite a few ghost towns (Bodie, Rhyolite, Belmont, Pine Grove, etc.) and I haven't really seen any more people hanging out in these places . Placement of geocaches is regulated a little more now than it used to be a few years ago, and if the cache is on private property, the owner of the cache must have the landowners approval. Caches aren't allowed in any National Parks, Monuments, or wilderness areas anymore. If it is on State Land or BLM land the owner must have a permit to be on that land. Hopefully it will stay that way..............

Mikejts
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the update. Been several years since I even consider geocaching. Sound much better (if people follow the rules) than I remember.

Johnnie
04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Rocky......I understand your feelings about geocaching in or around ghost towns, but I think most geocachers who take the time and interest to drive or ride to a ghost town, are explorers such as us. There are geocaches at quite a few ghost towns (Bodie, Rhyolite, Belmont, Pine Grove, etc.) and I haven't really seen any more people hanging out in these places . Placement of geocaches is regulated a little more now than it used to be a few years ago, and if the cache is on private property, the owner of the cache must have the landowners approval. Caches aren't allowed in any National Parks, Monuments, or wilderness areas anymore. If it is on State Land or BLM land the owner must have a permit to be on that land. Hopefully it will stay that way..............

Great advice from our Fellow ghostowners Flatiron, and Rocky,
J &S