PDA

View Full Version : winkelman, texas

alisform
03-18-2006, 08:14 AM
so, i'm in houston and we're going to brenham to see the blue bell ice cream factory when we pass this little conclave of broken down buildings with a sign that says "Jezebel saloon". so, on the way back, we take the turn off and check it out. it appears to be all the buildings of winkelman crowded together on the side of the road. it seemed as though someone is living there guarding the properties or something: there was a car outside the only building that didn't look as if a stiff wind would blow it down. does anybody know anything more about this weird little town? :confused:

old judge
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Google "jezebel saloon winkelman texas". Kind of interesting. Seems to be very little info on this GT. OJ

alisform
03-20-2006, 02:24 PM
when we got home, we googled away. this site (ghosttowns.com) had the best info, but it didn't say much. the page says that reginald adams has more info and to contact him for it, but there's no way to contact him. that's why i posted. the only other website that actually said anything was a drunken account of a bar crawl -- not too useful.

history buff
03-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Winkleman was developed in the early 80's.... It was created for tourist to stop, eat, and shop in the quaint little group of buildings. The buildings were moved there from other locations. It did not make it and slowly each business closed down

Jacob Johnson
04-02-2006, 09:23 AM
There is a difference between fiction and truth. This is the true story of Winkelmann, Texas ...

It is NOT a real place. Rather, it is a contrived accummulation of odds and ends of various buildings moved to its site east of Brenham, Texas in the 1980s by former Brenham resident, Raymond Winkelmann, Jr.

Originally, Raymond began his idea for putting together old structures in Chappell Hill, Texas, which is right up Highway 290 from where his group of old buildings now sit.

However, the citizens of Chappell Hill ran Raymond Winkelmann out of their community because they did not want the unsavory cult of homosexuals hanging around that Raymond attracted as his cronies. Raymond Winkelmann was a full-blown homosexual who later died of Aids and is buried in the Brenham cemetery known as Prairie Lea. There is a gaudy monolith in the graveyard marking his passing and referencing Winkelmann, Texas.

Winkelmann, Texas was never a recognized community either for residential or post office purposes.

It is/was a failed attempt at tourism. It never was any attraction of consequence and began and continues to be a hang-out for homosexuals, the remnants of friends and hangers-on from the Raymond Winkelmann days.

Anyone who believes that this joke of pseudo-old time Texas is a real "ghost town" or that it ever was a place of human activity is truly gullible.

It is as empty and pointless as the life of any homosexual ... a charade ... a facade ... a shell of pretense ... as dead and forgotten as the homosexual who put it together and provided a haven for his homosexual "family" to retreat.

Since its inception, it has been considered a major joke by the citizens of both Brenham and Chappell Hill, along with its creator Raymond Winkelmann.

At no time has this bunch of creaking, leaking and falling down buildings ever been completely "open" to the public or of any use for tourism, entertainment or attraction. It is not part of any tour, has no historical merit, nor of any significance to the local economy. As stated, it is a flop-site for homosexual activity and decent families and individuals are advised to stay away from it.

"Winkelmann, Texas" is best left to the termites and vandalism that is its ultimate destiny, just as the Aids that ravaged its originator.

Ask anyone in Brenham or Chappell Hill and not a soul will ever recommend or suggest this as a place for tourist visitation. It is a blight on the country-side and everyone will be totally glad if the entire Winkelmann site would simply be carted away.

You may find the above offensive if you are a homosexual or supporter of same, but truth is truth and what you have read is the truth of the surrounding community. It is not the opinion of this poster. If you believe otherwise, I suggest you inquire of the locals and you will find out your own truth.

old judge
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Goodness J.J.: Don't beat around the bush. Say what you really mean. OJ

winky09
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey Guys...Winkelmann, Texas is a small town off of 290. i Should know i am a winkelmann

anyways

ray winkelmann
bought the 5 acre site and put old building ( 19 to be exact) and in 1986 the town went bankrupt. in 1989, it was auctioned off and no one has bought to this day. :)

winky09
04-20-2006, 06:02 PM
and ray winkelmann was NOT ***! who did you hera this from?

rungini
08-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I have done quite a bit of research on Winkelmann, Texas and Jacob Johnson's account is pretty much accurate as I have discovered. I can add the information that I have gleaned over the years. Actually, the demise of the village came after Ray's *** lover and he got in a quarrel. The lover went on television and told about Ray's AIDS, and the restaurant that Ray operated at Winkelmann suffered immediate and immeasurable damage. This is basically what caused the bancruptcy. The bank then sold the assembled antiques and re-couped their money. They were left with the land and buildings, but didn't really care about them because they had covered their losses. By this time the buildings had begun to disintegrate and there wasn't much interest in the site. The exact ownership(s) between the initial sale and the current owner is hazy, but apparently there might have been several owners between the bank and the current owner.

The current owner(as of 2002 or so) was from California and bought the whole kit and kaboodle for $200,000. From the description of the site by other entries to this forum, it sounds like the same person still owns it. I don't know exactly what this owner had in mind, but apparently he had dreams of revitalizing it, but did not possess the expertise to do so. He tried to open some of the shops but it never got off the ground.

In 1998 a person with excellent credentials approached the owner about operating Windelmann as a working village with monthly special events. Apparently, the owner was somewhat unscrupulous and scared the prospective operator off with questionable business practices, after things were beginning to jell.

Since that time, it has continued to deteriorate as the owner is apparently not experienced in such a venture or ethical business practices. As Jacob Johnson says, the Brenham community is hesitant to become involved not only because of its homosexual history, but because of the shadiness of the current owner and the continuing state of decline in the buildings.

If I had to make a guess, Winkelmann, Texas is dead because of these factors. It is very sad, because at one point there was much potential for this site as a very viable tourist attraction in the middle of historic Texas. It would not have mattered that the village was not an authentic ghost town, because it would not have been marketed as such. It could have been marketed as a working early Texas village with actual historic buildings and frequent special events. It's location equidistant between Houston and Austin, as well as proximity to San Antonio and DFW, lent itself to vast potential.

I'm afraid it is too late now as it would take enormous capital to bring it back up to par.

HollyDolly
08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
:rolleyes: It is sad what happend to the place.Never even heard of it or the story behind it until I joined this forum.
What they were trying to do is similar to Bracken Village,which is east of San Antonio
in the town of Bracken on Nacodoches Road,which was part of the old Camino Real.
This has various shops and a British Tea room among other things.However this has been successful.
In Leon Springs,Tx off of I-10 North they have a group of old houses also turned into shops for the tourists.
An old stagecoach inn that belonged to relatives of Admiral
Chester A.Nimitz is a restaurant.

leowoman879
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Okay...so i stumbled upon this page, and was stunned. reguardless of why ray created this town, or whatever some people may have to say that is negative about him, he was a fabulous man with flas just like the rest of us. i am the daughter of one of his very best friends in the world. I grew up knowing him until the day he died. he was a wonderful man reguardless of all the gossip people of brenham love to share. it is sad that the town never grew into something more, but how many people can say that they created a town? i can't. he had a dream and attempted to make it a reality which is more than i can say for most. i admired him then and i admire him and his memory now may he rest in peace. there's a story to be told and reguardless, ray will never be forgotten because of it. :o

bad bob
08-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Queen Long, is that really you? When did ya move to Texas you rascal? And why did you jilt me at the altar of love? Our lives were all mapped out fer us...well mostly fer you... but I woulda been happy jes to let ya fix dinner every nite at 8PM after ya got home from work, and a hearty, good breakfast 'fore ya left at 5AM. Ya know you spoiled everything by runnin' off with that preacher/blacksmith.

Queenie, I might be obliged to ferget and fergive, if ya come up with a big enough dowry. What'daya say?
bb.

LauraA
08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Mr Bad Bob,
Queen Long sent me the following email and asked me to post it for her. She said she's too hearbroken to do it herself. :rolleyes:

Ma dere Bawb,
i wated fer ye, but ye niver showed up at the chapel of the seven vales. (the one nixt ta the 4 gates of mel, nixt ta the beer n' boob bar) you done gawn n broke ma hart. i ain't got no dowry but my daddy has a shotgun n' that there awt ta be gude nuff.
i'm a sendin' ye this here pichure of me. ye kin carry it close ta yer hart or in that general vicinity as a remynder of wat culd a bin.
yer ever lovin,
Queenee

To ma Bawb frum his Queenee

bad bob
08-18-2006, 10:44 AM
[quote=LauraA;21202]Mr Bad Bob,
Queen Long sent me the following email and asked me to post it for her. She said she's too hearbroken to do it herself. :rolleyes:

Ma dere Bawb,
i wated fer ye, but ye niver showed up at the chapel of the seven vales. (the one nixt ta the 4 gates of mel, nixt ta the beer n' boob bar) you done gawn n broke ma hart. i ain't got no dowry but my daddy has a shotgun n' that there awt ta be gude nuff.
i'm a sendin' ye this here pichure of me. ye kin carry it close ta yer hart or in that general vicinity as a remynder of wat culd a bin.
yer ever lovin,
Queenee

Therin lies the problem...I was at the chapel of the 4 vails, next to the 7 gates of mel.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
But, no dowry, no weddin'.

Thanks fer the hideous nightmare....I mean...pre-wedding photo of the bridle.

old judge
08-18-2006, 12:38 PM
That could be a picture of someone's loving mother.....OJ

bad bob
08-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Thank you sir, it was about time for my weekly guilt trip anyway.

rungini
08-28-2006, 09:38 AM
If somebody has lots of money, time and energy, this would be a good project for them. You can probably actually buy the property at a reasonable price, but fixing it up again would be quite expensive. If the owner is still Donald Prince, you would want to buy it and get him out of the picture as soon as possible. Keep your back against the wall, even if you try to buy it. He is going to try to finagle you any way he can. He can't be trusted, plus he has connections to the Houston rap music/bail bond industry. 'Nuf said?

Then you would want to change the name to something a little more catchy. Also, getting the stigma of the Winkelman name off of it would help, too. The fact that he was queer is not a good connection to have, plus apparently he didn't have a good name otherwise. Then add the fact that he died of AIDS, and it might still keep people away.

It IS a shame that the place was allowed to degenerate to what it is today, but if the right person took it over, it could be revitalized. And what an excellent location!

saskatchewan
08-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey I think I was at this place in 1986 when we lived in Houston, and would have to drive up to Bryan-College Station every other week.

That place was cool. We were led to believe by someone, not sure who, that this is where they sold chilli with human meat in it.

Anyway, I sure enjoyed that place, one of the few good memories of living in Houston as a kid.

LauraA
08-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey I think I was at this place in 1986 when we lived in Houston, and would have to drive up to Bryan-College Station every other week.

That place was cool. We were led to believe by someone, not sure who, that this is where they sold chilli with human meat in it.

Anyway, I sure enjoyed that place, one of the few good memories of living in Houston as a kid.

You mean the floods, mosquitoes and humidity weren't a good memory? I lived in Houston too...nice friendly folks there but wow...the humidity was like living in a sauna.

saskatchewan
08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Coming from the dry, cool, mountain air of Montana to Houston was quite different.

The place was just too big. Yes, they were friendly and the city nice, but I sure hated spending all that time getting around to places.

When i finished school, it took 18 hours before I was on a plane for Calgary AB.

I'm sad to hear that place is closed. Texas sure has a large share of eccentics.

modette
08-29-2006, 12:11 PM

It is, thats my mother you a$$hole... :eek: LOL

Brenda
09-24-2006, 06:45 AM
There is a difference between fiction and truth. This is the true story of Winkelmann, Texas ...

It is NOT a real place. Rather, it is a contrived accummulation of odds and ends of various buildings moved to its site east of Brenham, Texas in the 1980s by former Brenham resident, Raymond Winkelmann, Jr.

Originally, Raymond began his idea for putting together old structures in Chappell Hill, Texas, which is right up Highway 290 from where his group of old buildings now sit.

However, the citizens of Chappell Hill ran Raymond Winkelmann out of their community because they did not want the unsavory cult of homosexuals hanging around that Raymond attracted as his cronies. Raymond Winkelmann was a full-blown homosexual who later died of Aids and is buried in the Brenham cemetery known as Prairie Lea. There is a gaudy monolith in the graveyard marking his passing and referencing Winkelmann, Texas.

Winkelmann, Texas was never a recognized community either for residential or post office purposes.

It is/was a failed attempt at tourism. It never was any attraction of consequence and began and continues to be a hang-out for homosexuals, the remnants of friends and hangers-on from the Raymond Winkelmann days.

Anyone who believes that this joke of pseudo-old time Texas is a real "ghost town" or that it ever was a place of human activity is truly gullible.

It is as empty and pointless as the life of any homosexual ... a charade ... a facade ... a shell of pretense ... as dead and forgotten as the homosexual who put it together and provided a haven for his homosexual "family" to retreat.

Since its inception, it has been considered a major joke by the citizens of both Brenham and Chappell Hill, along with its creator Raymond Winkelmann.

At no time has this bunch of creaking, leaking and falling down buildings ever been completely "open" to the public or of any use for tourism, entertainment or attraction. It is not part of any tour, has no historical merit, nor of any significance to the local economy. As stated, it is a flop-site for homosexual activity and decent families and individuals are advised to stay away from it.

"Winkelmann, Texas" is best left to the termites and vandalism that is its ultimate destiny, just as the Aids that ravaged its originator.

Ask anyone in Brenham or Chappell Hill and not a soul will ever recommend or suggest this as a place for tourist visitation. It is a blight on the country-side and everyone will be totally glad if the entire Winkelmann site would simply be carted away.

You may find the above offensive if you are a homosexual or supporter of same, but truth is truth and what you have read is the truth of the surrounding community. It is not the opinion of this poster. If you believe otherwise, I suggest you inquire of the locals and you will find out your own truth.

Uh, don't think I'm going to make any special trips to Winkelmann. LOL, thanks for the head's up.

HollyDolly
10-04-2006, 05:50 AM
:cool: Brenda,there are some real ghost towns around Texas to visit.
There's Verdi in Wilson County which has only a community center,Hackberry ,BlackHills in Wilson County,El Oso,Zunkerville,Caddo in Wilson County,Kyote in Atasoca county and others.These ones mentioned are all near the San Antonio area.Some like Nopal,Dewville,Cheapside and Sweethome,which was founded by former slaves in Guadalupe county still have some population.Others like Nickel and Dilworth in Gonzales don't seem to have any popualtion any more,as they no longer have any state highway signs pointing to the communities.

speedy
01-22-2007, 07:24 AM
We visited Winkelmann recently and took some pics. There are a few residents and no tresspassing signs.....Speedy

LauraA
01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for sharing Speedy. Winklemann looks like a movie set facade. ;)

Plasticuser
04-28-2008, 06:49 PM
My thinking is these old buildings were moved here from somewhere. It would be nice to know the history of the buildings.

speedy
04-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Thats what I thought when I saw them. There was no one around to talk to about it. It sort of looked like a tourist stop that never got going.....Speedy

HollyDolly
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
:p Yeah,It looks like he bought some old buildings from the surrounding area and moved them there .
On the access road of Interstate 10 West, as you go to Boerne,Tx there are some old buildings someone moved there for a shopping area.
Just like Bracken Village in Bracken,Tx, east of San Antonio on Nacogdoches Rd. It has a bunch of old houses that have been restored and turned into shops.
Don't know about the place on I-10,but Bracken Village gets customers and i believe they have a website too.

drh11
02-13-2011, 04:26 PM
I am new to this site but would love to revive the conversation about Winkelmann, Texas. If any of the people that posted about this subject are still out there, I would love to hear from you - especially Winky09, rungini, Jacob Johnson and leowoman879. I am currently living in the area and am very interested in the history.
Thanks!

campp
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
nm, zombie thread.

Monkey
03-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Me and My family were wanting to go see Winkelmann but we aren't quite sure how to get there. Could one of y'all give me some directions? thanks!

HollyDolly
04-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Wonder what's going to happen to the buildings there? As far as Bracken Village goes, i was there in March to look in some of the little shops to see if i could find something for my sister for her birthday.Well, there are only three shops open now.Even the british tearoom moved. The economic turn down of a couple of years ago hit them hard, so most people packed up their stuff and left. Doubt anything willl happen with Winkleman now.

speedy
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Monkey....Winkleman is about 10 mi east of Brenham, Tx. on hwy 290, very near Chappell Hill.......Speedy

glenda19
05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I lived in Brenham for years and knew Ray Winkleman. No matter what his lifestyle was, he was a very nice man and always good to me and my family. Would have loved to have owned one of the buildings in the village...they were very interesting and had lots of history.

dguller
05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
If anyone knows who owns Winkelman or any Texas ghost town for that matter, I would love to speak with them.
I am interested in buying a (ghost) town, or even just changing the name temporarily.

Thank you.
Doug
doug00@hotmail.com