PDA

View Full Version : Silver City ID Road Report

dvsww2
03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I had an chance to talk with my friend who is the Deputy Sheriff for Silver City and neither road in either from Murphy or through Delamar from Jordan Valley Oregon is passable. On the Murphy side the slide totally took out about four miles of the road and the county has gotten a grant from FEMA To build a new road. The road in through Delamar wan't damaged quite as bad but the county road crew got turned back by the snow the attempt last week.. The town caretaker is the only resident and he hiked out the other day for some needed supplies. Looks like awhile before the road is repaired, so those wanting to visit are urged to contact the Owyhee County Sheriff in Murphy for a road update. Thanks Howard in ID

Ghostdancer
05-26-2006, 06:06 AM
I had an chance to talk with my friend who is the Deputy Sheriff for Silver City and neither road in either from Murphy or through Delamar from Jordan Valley Oregon is passable. On the Murphy side the slide totally took out about four miles of the road and the county has gotten a grant from FEMA To build a new road. The road in through Delamar wan't damaged quite as bad but the county road crew got turned back by the snow the attempt last week.. The town caretaker is the only resident and he hiked out the other day for some needed supplies. Looks like awhile before the road is repaired, so those wanting to visit are urged to contact the Owyhee County Sheriff in Murphy for a road update. Thanks Howard in ID

Howard, any update on this?

Tom

GaryB
05-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey Howard, ever been to Atlanta, ID in Elmore County? Or "lately" I mean to ask. Or anyone for that matter :D

tbutler
05-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I drove by the Murphy side Silver City road yesterday (May 28) and there was a sign posted that said the road is open to off highway vehicles only, miles 11-16 are in pretty bad shape due to spring run-off. Not sure about the Jordan Valley route.

I'm hoping to make it back in there soon, A local newspaper reported that they are planning to seal off most of the old mines in the Silver City area due to increased tourism up there. Anyone else hear about this? I really hope it's not true, maybe the unusually wet spring here will slow them down a bit anyway.

dvsww2
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Gary, have not been to Atlanta for about 10 years, but sounds like all the yuppies have moved in. On Silver City road, the last I heard it was open to ATV only going up Jordan Creek. Have not heard anything about closing tunnels, but I'm not surprised. I know that there are those on this forum that like to explore tunnels, but many of the Silver City area tunnels have not been worked since the 1890's and are reportedly not in good shape. I talked to a friend of mine who used to be the Geologist for the new Delamar open pit, and he and his crew explored many of the tunnels and he described it as spooky at best with lots of bad timbering and bad air. that was 15 or so years ago. I know that there are huge ventelation shafts up on top and many are fenced as cows were falling into them. I can tell you that we threw at large rock down a couple and it seemed like forever before the rock hit bottom with a splash. Hopefully they will be gated rather than blown closed.

NWNative
05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
We went through Atlanta about five years ago on our way to Rocky Bar and Yellowjacket. It had a real "Deliverance" feel to it! I really liked the area but . . . We had to stop at the store/market for something. There were these guys sitting on the porch staring and glaring. I refused to get out of the car!! OK - so I'm a big chicken. At the time it looked like there were some empy houses, some that had been lived in for a long time and some that looked like they were being fixed up.

GaryB
05-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I only ask since my mother was born there in '41, about the time line it was dying from it's hey day, or so I read. They went from there to Park City, UT where my Aunt was born, and a few other Utah spots before settling in Caliente, NV.

She once had to get a birth certificate after someone doing a background check refused to believe she was a legal citizen since no Atlanta, ID was shown as existing on their records. Luckily the folks in Boise had her birth records.

I'd like to head up and get some pics as she has never seen it. I'd like to drag her along, but she tends to be a home body, so pics might be all she ever sees.

dvsww2
06-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I think it was Will Rogers that said "All I know is what I read in the newspaper"... Atlanta Gold is talking about opening a new open pit mine using a closed cynanide leach pad system and it has caused quite a stir in the local paper among the environmentalists including the river runners and the fly fisherman. Will be interesting to see how that comes out.

NWNative
06-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Here's an interesting site with info on that general area - not Atlanta specific.
It was kind of a wierd place to find GT info!
http://www.yjriverguides.com/html/yjhistory.html

Beatty
06-06-2006, 07:08 PM
There's a Silver City,Nevada it's population is 175 and it has many oringinal buildings left.

GaryB
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I think Silver City as well as Chloride City are some of the most used names in any state that had more than one silver mine :D

Grete1863
06-12-2006, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't go in them.I did when i was a kid in the 1980s. Most are in really bad condition.

GaryB
06-16-2006, 04:08 PM
I forgot to ask, IIRC the road into Atlanta is all dirt, but what condition is it?

cage cat donnie
06-29-2006, 02:57 PM
I just made the trip on the Murphey side and it's still pretty rough. In the washout area it's very narrow in many places and quite a few rocks that make the road rough. They currently say it is only recommended for high-clearance vehicles or atv's, and I would say that is a pretty good advice. It looks like things are just patched together for now, so if you were up there in a severe rainstorm you might have problems with more washout. It was sprinkling a bit today and water had begun to run over the road. I'd post a picture but I forgot my camera.

Any report on the Jordan Valley side? How about the Reynolds Creek route? I haven't been that way for about 10 years, but it was a fun drive back then.

mamabear
07-15-2006, 09:46 AM
We drove the road up July 8th on the Jordan Valley side via Cow Creek in a mini van. No problems what so ever with the road, a bit of wash board but that's it. Now, the Idaho Hotel is a different story:

My husband, 5 year old daughter and myself have just returned from a trip to Silver City Idaho. We called in advance and made reservations at the Idaho Hotel in Silver City. They were fully aware we had a 5 year old with us. Our trip revolved around taking her horseriding in Silver City. The very first rule we were told by the hotel's daughter (age 13) was not to let our daughter run around or make unneccesary noise on the 2nd floor because it would disturb other guests. Our first night was great (we arrived late afternoon) and our horseride in the morning was amazing. After the horseride we returned to the hotel exhausted. My husband and daughter fell asleep. At 4:00 pm about 10 ATV's (both male & female) drove up and took over the hotel. They were obviously highly drunk, yelling, cussing, imitating a ******* (who knows why), running up stairs, yelling at tourists on the street...it was incredible. They continued to drink well into the next morning and ruined dinner for us because we all ate in the same room. Long story short. The owner stated it had been a slow season and he welcomed them with open arms. His wife was too chicken to confront anyone. Because I had complained, my husband and I were abused verbally all that night by these rude people and the hotel did nothing to stop it. There were no more rooms with two beds in them on ANY floor. In order to shield our daughter's ears from the vulgar language of these other "guests" we were moved to two separate bedrooms on the unrenovated, disgusting 3rd floor and still charged the full rate! I have pictures to prove it. If it isn't a FAMILY place, then they shouldn't have taken our reservations. The owners of the Idaho Hotel are nothing but money hungry and couldn't care less about their guests comfort or safety. Don't stay there.

Ghostdancer
07-15-2006, 09:57 AM
We drove the road up July 8th on the Jordan Valley side via Cow Creek in a mini van. No problems what so ever with the road, a bit of wash board but that's it. Now, the Idaho Hotel is a different story:

My husband, 5 year old daughter and myself have just returned from a trip to Silver City Idaho. We called in advance and made reservations at the Idaho Hotel in Silver City. They were fully aware we had a 5 year old with us. Our trip revolved around taking her horseriding in Silver City. The very first rule we were told by the hotel's daughter (age 13) was not to let our daughter run around or make unneccesary noise on the 2nd floor because it would disturb other guests. Our first night was great (we arrived late afternoon) and our horseride in the morning was amazing. After the horseride we returned to the hotel exhausted. My husband and daughter fell asleep. At 4:00 pm about 10 ATV's (both male & female) drove up and took over the hotel. They were obviously highly drunk, yelling, cussing, imitating a ******* (who knows why), running up stairs, yelling at tourists on the street...it was incredible. They continued to drink well into the next morning and ruined dinner for us because we all ate in the same room. Long story short. The owner stated it had been a slow season and he welcomed them with open arms. His wife was too chicken to confront anyone. Because I had complained, my husband and I were abused verbally all that night by these rude people and the hotel did nothing to stop it. There were no more rooms with two beds in them on ANY floor. In order to shield our daughter's ears from the vulgar language of these other "guests" we were moved to two separate bedrooms on the unrenovated, disgusting 3rd floor and still charged the full rate! I have pictures to prove it. If it isn't a FAMILY place, then they shouldn't have taken our reservations. The owners of the Idaho Hotel are nothing but money hungry and couldn't care less about their guests comfort or safety. Don't stay there.

Sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience there. When I was there in August 2003 the hotel would have seemed like a very quiet and peaceful place to stay as was the town.

I did purchase a soft drink from that hotel eatery and if the person working behind the counter was one of the owners he seemed like a bit of a crank.

Other then this were the rooms pretty comfortable?

Tom

bad bob
07-15-2006, 11:07 AM
This link has some fairly good pics of Silver City Idaho and I guess other shots around ID.
http://www3.flickr.com/photos/78712515@N00/with/171802872/

bb

mamabear
07-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience there. When I was there in August 2003 the hotel would have seemed like a very quiet and peaceful place to stay as was the town.

I did purchase a soft drink from that hotel eatery and if the person working behind the counter was one of the owners he seemed like a bit of a crank.

Other then this were the rooms pretty comfortable?

Tom
Ghostdancer,
I think the "crank" you speak of is deceased, but the new owner(s) isn't much better. The rooms on the 2nd floor are renovated and, for what they are, comfortable. No A/C, obviously. Community showers and toilets. Solar hot water & lights...15 watt bulbs, so after dark there is not much else to do but drink ($$$) or sleep. My husband is an engineer and says the building should not be open for the public.
It WAS very quiet and peaceful until the drunks arrived. My gripe is they were allowed to act that way toward tourists and other guests (us). Is Silver City Idaho a place for the drunk and disorderly to run wild or a place for vacationers/ghost towners to visit and possibly return again? A REAL business owner would know the answer.

mamabear
07-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Ghostdancer,
I think the "crank" you speak of is deceased, but the new owner(s) isn't much better. The rooms on the 2nd floor are renovated and, for what they are, comfortable. No A/C, obviously. Community showers and toilets. Solar hot water & lights...15 watt bulbs, so after dark there is not much else to do but drink ($$$) or sleep. My husband is an engineer and says the building should not be open for the public.
It WAS very quiet and peaceful until the drunks arrived. My gripe is they were allowed to act that way toward tourists and other guests (us). Is Silver City Idaho a place for the drunk and disorderly to run wild or a place for vacationers/ghost towners to visit and possibly return again? A REAL business owner would know the answer.

I've never uploaded pics so I'm hoping these are ok. No pics of the Idaho Hotel...I feel that bad about it:( . The schoolhouse is under renovation, by who I don't know. All buildings in Silver City are privately owned, people actually live there. Enjoy the pics, have more if you like.