PDA

View Full Version : Ben Johnson A Real Cowboy

Johnnie
04-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes! "Ben Johnson, was a real cowboy"

This all-around cowboy, champion roper, stuntman, and actor has built his life around the principles of honesty, realism, and respect-and managed to stay real despite Hollywood.

Many who know Ben, will agree in an instant the circumstances that brought Johnson his first Oscar, clearly find him not only a nice fellow to know but a breath of fresh air to the movies industry.

Now maybe Todd, or Flatiron who live in the great state of Arizona, can give all of us an update on this famouse western cowboy who also lives in Arizona, around the Phoenix aera, according to an artical i was reading today, about this great early western actor

The Author of Ben Johnson biography J.P.S. Brown of Tuson, remarked "You have to understand that Ben is a very humble person". He was a top hand on a real cattle ranch who could handle anything that would come up the ranch long before he ever became a movie actor.

His father was a forman for Chapman Barnard, a big rancher in Okahoma, who ran about 20,000 head of cattle and work on the ranch since the time he was a little kid.

Ben Johnson, skill with horses that turned out to be his addmission the the movie business.

As it turned out the late Howard Hughes bought some horses from the ranch where Johnson father work for for a movie that Hughes was making in Monument Valley. He needed a wrangler to get the horses from Okahoma, to northern Arizona, and he hired Johnson.

The movie Hughes, was making was the "Outlaws" Johnsons, ability with a horse and a rope led to a warm friendship with the late Howard Hughes, and the rest is history.

The most memorable among many films that Ben Johnson stared in was "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" staring John Wayne.

Hear are some more of his films he made.

The movie "Rio Grande", in 1950 he played a hard riding Tropper Tyree.

Another great western was Fort Bowie, Johnson plays a role as a captain in the cavalry allowed him to show off his skills as an actor and as a horseman.

And we all remember the all time great Westerns "Shane" released in 1953, where he played a cowboy loseing side of a fastfight with Alan Ladd,

What a bunch great westerns and western heros that were produced in the 1940s and 50s and 1960s. Not much left of the old western heros of the bygone days. Thanks to the "Western Channel", we can enjoy some of these great old westerns of yester-year.

Johnnie & Sheila:) :)

Breea
04-02-2006, 11:22 AM
hi,

i to am a great fan of the late Ben Johnson...he was the kind of actor that warmed your very heart..kind and gentle spoken..

i loved his movies..he was an actor among actors...one who freely gave of himself...

old judge
04-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Us Okies are proud of that Oklahoma Connection. I'm partial to "The Last Picture Show" myself. (And what movie was the last picture show by the way??) OJ

Johnnie
04-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Us Okies are proud of that Oklahoma Connection. I'm partial to "The Last Picture Show" myself. (And what movie was the last picture show by the way??) OJ

Yes! Your right O. J. Oklahoma has had a lot of famouse people to be proud of. Two of my best friends were born in Oklahoma. but the most famouse was "Will Rogers, along with several old west Lwmen, Like Bill Tllman just to name a few.

Johnnie & Sheila

Flatiron
04-16-2006, 05:43 AM
I had the pleasure of knowing the late Ben Johnson personally, and can tell you he was one of the few "real" cowboys who made western films. He was proud of his background as a rodeo clown in the early days, and relished his time working with and becoming a friend to the Duke, as well as Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck, Jack Elam, and Clint Walker, as well as many others. We have Ben Johnson Days every year here in Apache Junction, and he is remembered fondly in the State of Arizona. I got to be an extra in a movie called Shadow Riders with Ben, and still have in my possession a miniature covered wagon he made in his spare time, and signed for me. He is sorely missed, and was a friend to almost everyone he met. This breed of western actors has almost vanished, but at least we can still watch the many movies left behind by this elite group. .................

Johnnie
04-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I had the pleasure of knowing the late Ben Johnson personally, and can tell you he was one of the few "real" cowboys who made western films. He was proud of his background as a rodeo clown in the early days, and relished his time working with and becoming a friend to the Duke, as well as Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck, Jack Elam, and Clint Walker, as well as many others. We have Ben Johnson Days every year here in Apache Junction, and he is remembered fondly in the State of Arizona. I got to be an extra in a movie called Shadow Riders with Ben, and still have in my possession a miniature covered wagon he made in his spare time, and signed for me. He is sorely missed, and was a friend to almost everyone he met. This breed of western actors has almost vanished, but at least we can still watch the many movies left behind by this elite group.

Very well said Flatiron, I know when i came across that artical in that magazine i had to post my view and give credit where credit was due about this very talanted actor. that we all thought so much of.

Johnnie and Sheila

Flatiron
04-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Johnnie and Sheila..............Thanks for posting the thread on Ben Johnson. Being Hollyweird doesn't make many westerns anymore, there's not many of these true actors left. At least we have some good memories of them.:p

coodi
12-23-2006, 05:46 AM
There are quite a few pictures of Ben Johnson and his brother from early Oklahoma residence - rodeos, etc.-at the Pawhuska County Museum.