PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Towns in Montana

sheebee82
04-05-2006, 09:44 AM
I've just recently gotten into ghost towns, and have found Montana to be a wonderful state full of old abandoned towns. Although most of these towns are popular and well visited, I still have fun walking around. There is an amazing one called castle ghost town, lots of old houses still standing. Does anyone know of less well known ghost towns to go to that are in Montana? I sure wouldn't mind a little treasure hunting :)

Johnnie
04-14-2006, 06:57 AM
I've just recently gotten into ghost towns, and have found Montana to be a wonderful state full of old abandoned towns. Although most of these towns are popular and well visited, I still have fun walking around. There is an amazing one called castle ghost town, lots of old houses still standing. Does anyone know of less well known ghost towns to go to that are in Montana? I sure wouldn't mind a little treasure hunting :)

We agree, there is a lot great sites to visit in Montana. As far treasure hunting we suggest you check with someone with Forest Dept. for the area that you plan on searching if it is open for that type of hobby.

Have fun
J & S

Flatiron
04-16-2006, 05:51 AM
This website has most of what you'e looking for concerning ghost towns. Just look around a little, as the answers are there. As far as ghost towns a little less travelled, check out Comet, Garnet, etc. ...................;)

oro-y-plata
04-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Comet is on private property, altho I understand the owner recently passed away. It's anyone's guess as to what will happen to the mill, boarding house and two dozen cabins that are slowly falling down. Garnet is fast becoming a tourist trap, operated by BLM & the Garnet Presevation Society. However, three miles from Garnet, as you head out toward Hwy 200, is Coloma. Here you'll find several cabin remains on the escarpment overlooking the Blackfoot River Valley. If you've got money you can even purchase a chunk of Coloma.

historyfan
07-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Comet.

hello i was told that a contractor bought the land were the man who used to live there and he is gonna tear down the buildings and build houses over there.

waltx4
01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
According to one other site i Visited it has been plowed under and is bing developed....Too Bad!

bad bob
01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Reports have varied on that. One also said it's intact but now on private property. Other's say a portion (or 1/2) the town is privately owned and being restored. :confused:

OK GT'ers, you have your assignment (when the weather clears of course), can't be having anyone out there stuck in a 20' snow drift. :)

Gravelrash
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Just on Garnet, here's the web address for booking a stay in 2 of the cabins there. It says that demand is so great that applications can often be dealt with by a lottery system.
I wouldn't mind being stuck in a Garnet blizzard with a genuine GT-er, but what if I got snowed in with some-one looking for a 'turnbull canyon' experience! Or Bob, when he snores!
http://www.garnetghosttown.net/cabinrentals.htm

bad bob
01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Just on Garnet, here's the web address for booking a stay in 2 of the cabins there. It says that demand is so great that applications can often be dealt with by a lottery system.
I wouldn't mind being stuck in a Garnet blizzard with a genuine GT-er, but what if I got snowed in with some-one looking for a 'turnbull canyon' experience! Or Bob, when he snores!
http://www.garnetghosttown.net/cabinrentals.htm

Nope don't snore...stayed awake one nite to check. Nah, I'm more into lookin' fer the Turnbull Cyn experience. Then it's on to the screaming tree, gravity hill, you know the REAL ghostly trail. :p