PDA

View Full Version : Looking to find stuff around las vegas

circusboy
04-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm looking for places around Las Vegas to take a date for a day trip like on the mountain biking scene. any suggestions?????? Would like to maybe camp out for a few day's and eat some rattlesnake stew.Would not mind adopting a burrow or wild horse. must be true ghost town with no or very few inhabitants as far off the beaten path as possible.

GaryB
04-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Not much around here that is left as far as "ghost towns" are concerned. You have to head north toward Beatty and the likes of Rhyolite and the Bullfrog Mining District. South is Good Springs, though it's still inhabited, as well as Nelson which offers a mine tour. There are numerous mines and old "sites" to look at, but most folks find them boring as they lack amorous amounts of eye candy.

The Spring Mountains (Mt. Charleston, Red Rock, etc) offer tons of mountain biking trails, especially the south end by Blue Diamond. If you want hard core MB'ing, head to Boulder City. They have a newer park there built by MB'ers that is a top attraction and offers some incredible views of Vegas, Lake Mead and the surrounding area. IIRC it's called (or a trail there is) Bootleg Canyon.

Johnnie
04-11-2006, 06:12 AM
I'm looking for places around Las Vegas to take a date for a day trip like on the mountain biking scene. any suggestions?????? Would like to maybe camp out for a few day's and eat some rattlesnake stew.Would not mind adopting a burrow or wild horse. must be true ghost town with no or very few inhabitants as far off the beaten path as possible.

Another Bob, where is your input???

Bob
04-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Yes, Gary and I might know some places that might fit his request but I didn't consider it a bonafide request. Rattlesnake Stew, adopting a burrow, why anyone would want to adopt a badger's home is beyond, adopting a wild horse or burro requires a proper home for the animal, and other childish comments made by Circusboy like "why are you all so paranoid about being all by yourself. what's out there to hurt you and why???" posted on other threads caused me to dismiss Circusboy. Just like the "Seven gates of ****" type threads, I no longer have confidence in the sincerity of all ghost town posters. Gary and I can tell you there is enough information on the web if somebody roots for it. I thought Gary gave a really good answer and was waiting to see if I had misjudged Circusboy. The fact he has not responded to Gary's comment just confirms my initial reaction.

old judge
04-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Bob...Is there a real Gravity Hill in Vegas? I knew if anybody could give me directions, you could! Thanks in advance. OJ

circusboy
04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Well the thing is I really whant the real non tourist experience. not that I really whant a burro , or to actually eat rattlesnake stew but to find a piece of americana that never got connected to the modern world. As in no paved roads to the place , or like time stood still. you really should not dismiss people because they don't have the same ideas as you. And I really don't see the reason for the paranoa, maybe you should inform rather than rave like a rabid dog about why people don't understand. I've been in many a national forest hundred's of miles from anyone else and never had that fear. But hey that's just foolish me. Maybe rattlesnake stew would be good once, and some cowboy coffee to wash it down. Anyway's does anyone know about three brothers mine just east of vegas???? I was thinking a mine cart ride would be fun . Angel

Flatiron
04-12-2006, 04:25 AM
circusboy.............I'm just curious. What National Forests have you been in that were hundreds of miles from "anyone else"? ,............:confused:

GaryB
04-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Three Brothers, I assume is actually "Three Kids Mine". Not much left to see as it's on the main thoroughfare to Lake Mead and highly vandalized. Mostly just concrete ruins. Anniversary Mine/Narrows to the East is a neat little site, but it has numerous of local visitors and is not secluded.

Not much to see around here as anything that was anything has been vandalized beyond imagination. Most of the Tourist Tours either hit Nelson for the mine tour or head into Death Valley, Arizona and Utah for old "ghost towns".

If you want some fun easy trails, look up Bitter Springs Byway out by the Valley of Fire. Some gemstones and old mining (rock quarries and gypsum) sites to look at.

Mormon Well Road North of Vegas follows the old immigrant trial of Mormon settlers and has some great off shoot hikes/trails like Sawmill Springs, which has ruins of an old sawmill from the days of old.

Unfortunately, you have to head North from Vegas for at least 100 miles before you really get into anything of significant value in Nevada. Like I said in the first post, I can show you all the vertical shafts you could stand to look at around here, but most folks could care less about holes in the ground.

GaryB
04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
And I don't think anyone is "afraid" to go out exploring alone, we just make sure we have the necessary protection should we need it.

BTW, remember the 2 women that were killed in a public Yellowstone camp ground? If that can happen there, you **** well better believe it can happen in BFE Nevada.