PDA

View Full Version : Status of SW Saskatchewan Ghosttowns

Keith
04-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I am interested in visiting the ghost towns along highway 13, south of Cypress Hills this easter weekend.
Do you know if there is many abandoned buildings still left to see?

The towns listed on ghosttownpix.com are Grovelock, Senate, Vidora and Robsart.

I am also interested in visiting other ghost towns in Saskatchewan in June.

Thanks,
Keith

ghost_town_huntress
04-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Good luck on getting a response on Canadian ghost towns here. I was asking for quite a while about Alberta ghost towns and didn't get a single answer. The same thing happened with someone else here too. You'll just have to go back to the homepage on this website and look for yourself at the Canadian ghost towns.

bavarialand
04-29-2006, 06:58 AM
OK, here is some info. for you. in Aug. 2005 i went to Canada on a fishing trip. while getting my VERY expensive lisence for an American i asked the guy behind the counter about Ghosttowns and he called out the regional director of the Canadian park service who was there going through the books. so i asked this guy about going to the towns for a look-n-see. and he said Quote" a lot of the towns are on private property and Canadian property laws are very strict. IF you, a visitor from another country get cought on private property you could be arrsted and held for 7 days, then deported AFTER paying a very steep fine of around $50K," yes he said $50K. it has something to do with being a foriegner and braking laws. so be VERY carefull. Dave:(

saskatchewan
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
As far as getting arresting and thrown in jail for tresspassing, I think that guy must have been confused.

What he seems to be describing is what happens when people take artifacts or simular from protected areas.

I just moved to Saskatchewan from Banff, and I know in National Parks they are strict.

But here is Saskatchewan, if you are caught tresspassing, you end up getting fed and at worst, having to look thru someones photo album.

I'm very familiar with Ghost Towns in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

bavarialand
08-22-2006, 05:58 AM
no, not confused. that is what i was told. whether the guy was giving me a bunch of BS is another story. the fact that they said DO NOT trespass to see a ghost town and the fines he quoted was good enough for me not to do it. Dave:mad:

saskatchewan
08-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, BS, confused or something like that. I think he was just trying to be a jive-turkey.

If you are ever in canada checking out ghost towns, don't worry, I've never had a problem and never heard of anyone getting into any trouble.

He was just trying to scare you which a lot of Parks Canada emplyees seem to do.

I was told by one of them that I'd get attacked by Grizzley Bears if I kept using the rail line to walk to where I was going.

Well, he was kind of right,

http://www.picturesofcanada.ca/data/594/medium/HPIM0117.JPG

saskatchewan
08-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I am interested in visiting the ghost towns along highway 13, south of Cypress Hills this easter weekend.
Do you know if there is many abandoned buildings still left to see?

The towns listed on ghosttownpix.com are Grovelock, Senate, Vidora and Robsart.

I am also interested in visiting other ghost towns in Saskatchewan in June.

Thanks,
Keith

HI Keith,

I know it is a little late, but I'll update you about Saskatchewan Ghost Towns as I just moved to Shaunavon, on highway 13.

About 75% of the towns on this highway are ghost towns, and many of them still have tons of buildings left to explore.

Further, highway 18 in the very south of the province is very good as well.

I have over 60 locations photographed here:
http://www.ghosttownscanada.ca/directory/showgallery.php?cat=508

I may add, Saskatchewan and BC are by far, the best provinces to visit ghost towns in Canada. Other provinces, cannot wait to burn and rip down old buildings.

clayton
10-27-2006, 03:09 AM
I've also never had a negative experience exploring old farm yards and some of the ghost towns around the old Red Coat Trail (highway 61) region of south easter alberta. Everytime I pass another vehicle usually the other driver waves at me even though they don't really know me. I think I'm known as 'the guy with the camera'.

Really common sense rules all. There are some nut cases out there who will rush out at you waving a shotgun if you are on their property. But as I said, use common sense. Don't drive your vehicle up on to private property. Don't cross barbed wire fences. Respect no tresspassing signs. I've never run across anyone but friendly people around here. I was photographing an old barn belonging to a farmer who is notoriously territorial over his property. From what I've heard he has run off several fisherman and hunters at gun point. I had my tripod set up by the barbed wire fence with my car parked well off his property when I saw him approach with his pickup. I was expecting an ugly confrontation but he instead seemed flattered that I was interested in his barn and offered me to go in for a closer look.

Just respect boundries and you'll never have a problem. Walking the streets of a ghost town would be no different than walking the streets of a regular city. At the same time the old houses and such should be treated with the same kind of respect you'd give to an occupied home. Chances are someone still owns that lot, and while it may look completely deserted and unloved that may not be the case. It might hold sentimental value to the owner.

I've met countless kind friendly people on my never ending search for new locations to photograph. Just use respect and you'll never have a problem.