PDA

View Full Version : to buy or not to buy

Lovelyperson
04-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Are there are differend Law's in buying Gun's and carry them.
there may be Animals who could be dangerouce by tramping with a Tent.there are directions in arming yourselfe to prodect you against that Animals?

Bob
04-11-2006, 06:25 AM
I believe if you are considering a weapon, consider the critter you wish to resist and do you want to discourage or eliminate. I holster a 357 with a shotshell in the second chamber (first is empty) when exploring in the summer where I might encounter a Mohave Green (Only rattlesnake I worry about). Fortunately Iíve never had to kill one but I fear them. Large animals that consider you part of their food chain require more fire-power so if your around Kodiak, Griz, Tigers, lions, forarmed is forewarned. Besides Mohave Greens the only animal native to Nevada I fret about is Skunk Bear, what in other states you call Wolverine, Carcajou, or Glutton, Black bears and cougars ainít a threat unless you provoke them. Sadly, the critter most likely to be a threat is bipedal of the species Homo sapiens sapiens. Iím not one to advocate carrying a weapon without proper training, a weapon in inexperienced hands is more of a threat to the owner than others. My personal weapon of choice is a pump action shotgun, more for the pump action than the firepower. An intruder/prowler type worth their salt knows the sound of a pump action shotgun when you rack in a shell and the proper responds is to exit stage right without further confrontation. Thatís just my $0.02

Bob
04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
I forget other states have other rules. Like you, in Nevada, as long as the firearm is in plain sight, no problem. Except for two legged varmits, those places, like National Parks, where guns are not permitted pose little threat.

I would suspect pepper spray might be a good varmit repellant but I've never really investigated that.

My only advice is if you decide on a gun, know how and when to use it or it is more of a liability than a benefit.

coolguy0621
04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
What's the deal with firearms on BLM land? I've heard that here in california its legal to pack and shoot what ever you got for training or protection, with in the crazy laws here of course. Since the laws here are pretty steep, I do not belive it. Anyone have any input?

Lovelyperson
04-11-2006, 09:49 AM
I understand about diferend Law to differend Country
Will arrive tomorrow the 13th at chicago and travel westwards in direction Kansas/Nebraska
Don't yet how i will travel.
May i see for a lift for some Way's.but visiting one or more ghost towns may i do with tent on Backpack.
as i don't know which Animals i can expect at that Time of Year,but also no interesting to come with any Law in conflict ask i here,as most of you will have experiance with gun's,law,and different Kind of animal of April and country

Lovelyperson
04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
now one destinaion less as in Nebraska is Turkey Huntingseason and they don't like Hickers,armed or unarmed,at that Time:D (freighten about Gunfeight?;) )
now is one place in illinois and one in Kansas left i may visit.
illinois may be safe enough to need no Gun,
but,how is it with Rattlesnakes?
is there anything which may hold they away?

brian10x
04-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Here in Arizona I can carry a weapon in open carry in town or county & state lands TW

Ain't it great to be a gun owner in Arizona? I, too, carry exposed,or concealed with a permit. Sometimes, out in the desert, I carry a hogleg in a period correct gun belt and holster. It just feels so cool. Know what I mean?

Flatiron
04-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Total Wreck..................I'll be in the San Pedro Riparian Reserve this weekend , checking out the old Clanton Ranch, and I'll tell you that I'll be carrying my .357, regardless of what law enforcement officials say. We had some fun a while back, as some members of the "Mexican Hiking Club" thought we were BP agents, as we drive a khaki colored Rubicon , almost identical to the Border Patrol. These clowns almost wrecked their old piece of crap Mustang and beat-up Chevy van while "escaping". We were on the old railroad grade just north of Tombstone, which we were told is apparently a well-used "bypass" to get around the Border Patrol check station at the 82/80 junction. ......Lovelyperson- Please make sure you have "some" degree of firearms training, as I used to be a licensed FFL dealer (firearms) and interacted with quite a few people who bought weapons for self/home protection and didn't even know how to load the firearm or set the safety. When I was a kid, we were required to have hunter safety training before getting a hunting license. Nowadays, anybody can plop down a few bucks and wander around in the desert/woods with a high-powered rifle, and have :p no safety training whatsoever. OK OK, I'll get off my soapbox................

Lovelyperson
04-12-2006, 11:17 AM
i was by the Armee,if that is training enough.
otherwise may i get some in Gunshop?

GaryB
04-12-2006, 01:12 PM
When I was a kid, we were required to have hunter safety training before getting a hunting license. Nowadays, anybody can plop down a few bucks and wander around in the desert/woods with a high-powered rifle, and have :p no safety training whatsoever. OK OK, I'll get off my soapbox................

Actually, anyone born after 1/1/60 needs a hunter safety class certificate to get a resident hunting license in the state of Nevada, regardless of where you are from originally.

Also, IIRC, you can carry a sidearm, in plain site, on your body as long as it is not loaded (round in chamber) in Nevada. But that tends to freak out citified folk ;)

I'd be sure to check any places that you may be traveling to though as it can change from county to county. I have never had problems with having an un-chambered fire arm in plain site (usually in a holster/case) in Nevada. Just let the authorities (should you run into one) know you have it if by chance they ask. Other wise, they might get pissy :p

coolguy0621
04-13-2006, 09:42 AM
hey Tw thanks, and what do you mean by a hide rig? You mean to hide from the mexican olympic's team?

And loylyerpresona, I'm drawing a blank here man, please go alone what ever your talking about.

brian10x
04-13-2006, 11:51 AM
[quote=GaryB]Also, IIRC, you can carry a sidearm, in plain site, on your body as long as it is not loaded (round in chamber) in Nevada. But that tends to freak out citified folk ;)

How the **** could they tell if you had a round chambered? Sounds like a ridiculous law.

Bob
04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I never knew anything about not having a round in the chamber but it seems prudent. If I'm riding my motorcycle I sure as heck don't want the freaking gun to discharge should I go over the bars. I mean it is not the hole in my boot that would bother me, it is that behind my boot is me :)

There is another Federal Rule that says you can't have your gun on yourself or person property (truck) when on public property within some distance of a school. I know it make sense in an urban environment but but in rural Nevada, having a 20 gauge in a gun rack in the back of your pickup so it is handy for keeping varmits out of the fields has got some High School students in a peck of trouble. Typical one law doesn't fit all well.

I make it a habit never to have a round or shell in the chamber unless I plan on discharging the same just for safety sake.

GaryB
04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
How the **** could they tell if you had a round chambered? Sounds like a ridiculous law.

When you hand it to them and they jack the round out of it :D

I also meant to say I know it's illegal to have a loaded weapon in/on a vehicle, whether it's an ATV or truck or what ever. Having a loaded round on your person I'm not 100% sure about. I have never had an officer ask to see if I had a loaded round while walking around while hunting. I guess I'll have to ask next time I see one :confused:

Every time I have been hunting and driving and stopped by a NDOW officer, BLM agent or local fuzz, and they asked to see the gun, they looked for a loaded round. I always let them know I have it and why in case they don't see it right away. Half the time they seem to not care and don't bother to look. I'm always hunting game it seems when stopped. Like Bob said, it's a smart thing to do anyway. Just ask Barney Fiffe :D

Seems I remember about 8 - 10 years or so ago a guy was at a gas station getting gas and his kid was playing with the rifle in his truck's rear window. It was loaded, went off, and shot through the truck and into a gas pump IIRC. I do remember he was cited for a loaded weapon because the anti-gun nuts were freaking out it was legal for it to be there in the first place.

brian10x
04-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I never knew anything about not having a round in the chamber but it seems prudent. If I'm riding my motorcycle I sure as heck don't want the freaking gun to discharge should I go over the bars. I mean it is not the hole in my boot that would bother me, it is that behind my boot is me :)

There is another Federal Rule that says you can't have your gun on yourself or person property (truck) when on public property within some distance of a school. I know it make sense in an urban environment but but in rural Nevada, having a 20 gauge in a gun rack in the back of your pickup so it is handy for keeping varmits out of the fields has got some High School students in a peck of trouble. Typical one law doesn't fit all well.

I make it a habit never to have a round or shell in the chamber unless I plan on discharging the same just for safety sake.
I you follow the four basic rules of gun safety as outlined by the NRA, you cannot have an accidental discharge.

If your firearm is carried in a safe, modern holster, with material covering the trigger, it should never discharge. A modern firearm can only fire if the trigger is pulled. End of story.
Sorry for the attitude but I teach firearms safety. No, I'm not the best, but I am vehement about safety.
(stepping off sopbox)
Brian10x

Bob
04-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I've never played around to see if the Ruger could go off without pulling the trigger, I suspect it could not.

I have however stumbled into things while riding that have sent flying into much more evil things. Like I say, it is only when I'm rooting around where I might meet an unfriendly Mohave Green I tend to ride with a holsterd firearm and when your extracting yourself from a mesquite thicket or a pile of illegally dumped debris, it is one less thing I have to worry about..

Nevada Division of Wildlife (NDOW) regulations insist that while hunting, and in any vehicle (truck, motorcycle, ATV) nothing chambered in any of your rifles, shotguns, or handguns. MAYBE I am just conditioned to think that way ???

BTW: Gary, I took that Hunter Safety School sometime in the 70s not because I had to but because I had a chance and wanted to.

GaryB
04-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Nevada Division of Wildlife (NDOW) regulations insist that while hunting, and in any vehicle (truck, motorcycle, ATV) nothing chambered in any of your rifles, shotguns, or handguns. MAYBE I am just conditioned to think that way ???

They insist it so much I know of folks who know some one who was fined for having a loaded weapon. They even check revolvers to make sure they are on an empty chamber. I too only load a round when I plan to either use it or a chance to use it is likely. I can be cocked and loaded with every thing I have fast enough IMO.[/quote]

BTW: Gary, I took that Hunter Safety School sometime in the 70s not because I had to but because I had a chance and wanted to.

My Dad had me take it the first year it was required with my brother, who had been hunting for 20 years already :rolleyes: I'm glad I did, as I hear it's a bit tougher now, which is probably a good thing. I just wish the state would digitize the records so I don't have to keep finding and taking the stupid little card in to get a license. At least they finally caught on to Arizona and you can buy your license on line and print it out now, which is nice.

coolguy0621
04-14-2006, 10:03 AM
#1 Treat every weapon as if it were loaded

#2 Keep your weapon on safe untill you intend to fire

#3 Keep your finger strait and off the trigger untill you intend to fire

#4 Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot

Law or not everyone should live by these rules

As far as the whole round in the chamber talk. Even when I was in Iraq, most of the time I did not have a round in the chamber, unless the situation dictated of course. It takes a fraction of a second to pull the charging handle back, let go, and put rounds on target. And I have seen a modern day M-16A2 service rifle fire on safe, so you can not be too safe. If you practice I'm sure almost anyone can chamber a round in almost any weapon in under a second or two, coming out of a holster or not. Happy Hunting Gents

coolguy0621
04-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Its hard to know exactly when one is in compliance, when in doubt, CYA.

COVER YOUR ***..........folks

Lovelyperson
04-15-2006, 10:02 AM
talked with a south Chicagoer here.
They need a gun-Licence,but if he goes over the Border he can hunt without

Lovelyperson
04-17-2006, 07:03 AM
http://www.wunderground.com/US/IL/Kankakee.html
http://www.kankakeesouthkoa.com/
i started where the immigration of some Pioneer may have started

coolguy0621
04-17-2006, 09:46 AM
yO tOTAL wREAK, WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY HIDE RIG???????

Flatiron
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Total Wreck...............Yes the Clanton Ranch ruins are on the west side of the river, across from Lewis Springs. I'll email you with the directions.

GaryB
04-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Cheekyguy,

Sholder holster, ankle holster, inside the belt/pants holster, back pocket, inside the hat. For you I suggest the between the cheeks style, good concealment but not recommended for long periods of sitting. Available for snubbies & stubbies.
TW

:D

ten letters

coolguy0621
04-18-2006, 07:54 AM
:eek: LOL...........wow gee thanks alot bro I'll keep that in mind next time I have to hide a stubbie. I don't care who you are thats funny, I have been laughfin for like 5 min. Your quick total wreck and your ok in my book, just keep it coming cheekmaster.

Flatiron
04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Just don't carry that stubbie in the front of your pants. You just might turn the ladies off, if you know what I mean............:o

GaryB
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Just don't carry that stubbie in the front of your pants. You just might turn the ladies off, if you know what I mean............:o

Don't let the size fool you, it can still put you on your butt ;)

Johnnie
04-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Are there are differend Law's in buying Gun's and carry them.
there may be Animals who could be dangerouce by tramping with a Tent.there are directions in arming yourselfe to prodect you against that Animals?

Our fellow ghosttowner O J is our expert on this subject, We are sure O J will have the answer for all of us.

J & S

old judge
04-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Johnnie: Thanks for the compliment. The answer to Lovely's question is, of course, a qualified yes.. While there may be locales where you can still buy, hunt, carry (concealed or not) with impunity, in every jurisdiction with which I am familiar, the laws for buying and carrying are different. In Oklahoma, as in many states, you can buy (with certain limitations and qualifications, local and Federal) , but your opportunities to carry (in vehicle, in holster showing, in holster hidden, etc.) will be governed by a completely different set of statutes (or ordinances as the case may be). So the short answer is, yes, and check your local city ordinances, state laws, and Federal requirements. But who expects a short answer from a **** lawyer. OJ