PDA

View Full Version : Death valley Cerro Gordo

batryn
04-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi,
I'm going to death valley for the weak and my guide book said that the town Cerro Gordo is a really good one. Is this true? also, is there any mines that are still open and how many buildings are left? thanks

Dezdan
04-14-2006, 05:41 PM
No mines are open to you, but there are a number of buildings left. All the info you need to visit you can find here: http://www.cerrogordo.us/ Everyone there is friendly, so you should have a great visit!

batryn
04-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Okay, cool. thanks

Blair Jett
05-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I was in the area back in 1993 & at that time Cerro Gordo was not open to the public. It did open a few years later & I hear it`s really nice. I read in a newspaper a few years ago that you can even spend a night in the hotel. I`m sorry I wasn`t able to see the town back then & really hope to go back & do just that some day.

Cecile
05-14-2006, 11:30 AM
In 1984 Jody Stewart owned the mountain, and in recent years, since her death, her husband, Mike Patterson has been running things. They have been friendly about letting day visitors come, so yes it was open to the public if you approached politely and nicely and asked their permission for a tour. So far as the hotel - it has never been open for overnight visits, and more than likely never will be. It is restored downstairs and you can arrange way ahead of time to have someone cater your meals, or you can sit in there with your own lunch on a day visit. A bar has been built inside the dining room and Mike Patterson will happily serve you a Cerro Gordo Freighting Company rootbeer and some tales tall & true. If you want an overnight visit, the bunk house & Belshaw House are available to rent. Again, as Dezdan said, you can go to www.cerrogordo.us to find out any information.