PDA

View Full Version : The Explorer's horn...listen to it...

wolfpack
04-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I just got back from a 4 day trip around Nevada, exploring and such, I'll post pics soon. I did have an experience that gives me chills though and I'd like to share it.

On day 2 going from Reno to Ely which is all the way across the state we stopped at every historic site there was. One of them was a place that had indian petroglyphs, it was off the highway about 2 miles and I stopped about 200 yards from the parking area because there was alot of mud and I didn't want to get our Explorer stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no way to get out. My wife and I walked the 200 yards and then started going up a hill out of sight of the Explorer. We were about 1/4 mile away and we hear a horn honking randomly, it wasn't steady it was like honk honk hooooonk honk hoooonk hooooonk hoooonk...like that. From what I could tell we were the only ones out there, I told my wife there must be another car out here, she said it was the Explorer and I disagreed. After listening for it to stop and it not stopping I started to run to the Explorer...it was the Explorer honking. We do have an alarm on it and the key fob does have a "rape" button BUT we were way out of range for it to work and when the "rape" button is hit it isn't random honking it is steady honking. I hit the door unlock and it stopped, I hit the door lock and it locked and rearmed itself.

I turn and started walking back with the fob in my hand and making **** sure not to touch and of the buttons, once I'm out of sight the **** thing goes off again. I ran back and called my wife as I figured the battery was going dead and it was affecting the alarm. Now I'm worried the Explorer won't start so I turn the ignition and it cranks like it was a day old, we just decided to leave. I was still freaked out thinking about the battery going dead so we stopped in a small town and I opened the hood, the green light is strong but I bought a new battery just in case and put it in the back with our stuff. There was no more incidents on the rest of the trip at all, it starts like a champ and never honked again. I'm starting to wonder if there was danger of some kind like a mountain lion or whatever and maybe God or my dad (deceased since 1992) was trying to warn us to leave....

GaryB
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Being a Ford Exlpoder, it was probably afraid of being left alone in such a strange, desolate, and rugged place. Notice it doesn't do it in mall/grocery store parking lots?

BTW: I hope you have a sense of humor ;)

bob3 was bob2
04-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Being a Ford Exlpoder, it was probably afraid of being left alone in such a strange, desolate, and rugged place. Notice it doesn't do it in mall/grocery store parking lots?

BTW: I hope you have a sense of humor ;)

:D Hahaha, hahaha, bwahahah. Thanks Gary, your post had me rolling. I have been to this place, I forget what it is called, but my family and I have been here twice. I have some photos of the petroglyphs.

GaryB
04-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm guessing Hickison Summit Petroglyph site. I've been all over Highway 50, usually crossing it or driving sections of it. Haven't done the survival run yet though. Just one more thing on my to do list though.

bob3 was bob2
04-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Usually I take photos of the names of the sites, but for some reason I didn't this time. The Lovelock cave is another cool site in Nevada to check out, have you checked that one out yet Gary?

GaryB
04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
No, I have heard about it though. I tend to not get up the North East part of the state much.

We did a club run yesterday to a big glyph site as well. They are all over down here. We saw some small areas a few weeks ago on another club run even. Another 4X club doing some mapping for a new BLM OHV area North of Vegas found some even the BLM didn't know about.

Johnnie
05-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I just got back from a 4 day trip around Nevada, exploring and such, I'll post pics soon. I did have an experience that gives me chills though and I'd like to share it.

On day 2 going from Reno to Ely which is all the way across the state we stopped at every historic site there was. One of them was a place that had indian petroglyphs, it was off the highway about 2 miles and I stopped about 200 yards from the parking area because there was alot of mud and I didn't want to get our Explorer stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no way to get out. My wife and I walked the 200 yards and then started going up a hill out of sight of the Explorer. We were about 1/4 mile away and we hear a horn honking randomly, it wasn't steady it was like honk honk hooooonk honk hoooonk hooooonk hoooonk...like that. From what I could tell we were the only ones out there, I told my wife there must be another car out here, she said it was the Explorer and I disagreed. After listening for it to stop and it not stopping I started to run to the Explorer...it was the Explorer honking. We do have an alarm on it and the key fob does have a "rape" button BUT we were way out of range for it to work and when the "rape" button is hit it isn't random honking it is steady honking. I hit the door unlock and it stopped, I hit the door lock and it locked and rearmed itself.

I turn and started walking back with the fob in my hand and making **** sure not to touch and of the buttons, once I'm out of sight the **** thing goes off again. I ran back and called my wife as I figured the battery was going dead and it was affecting the alarm. Now I'm worried the Explorer won't start so I turn the ignition and it cranks like it was a day old, we just decided to leave. I was still freaked out thinking about the battery going dead so we stopped in a small town and I opened the hood, the green light is strong but I bought a new battery just in case and put it in the back with our stuff. There was no more incidents on the rest of the trip at all, it starts like a champ and never honked again. I'm starting to wonder if there was danger of some kind like a mountain lion or whatever and maybe God or my dad (deceased since 1992) was trying to warn us to leave....

Thanks! "Wolfpack" for the breath of "fresh-air."

This type mystery of strange happings are "worth" stopping and reading. But there are some posters on other forums that are scared of their own shaddows, and we hope are "not" the majotity. Can you visulize if anyone of these other posters and they were "hired" to protect the rest of us. And a news reporter would run up to one of these "Ghost Hunters" after they they heard about ghosts within the city limits. and the reporter would say, What happened?? And their reply was we don't know we were so scared we hid in the our armored tank, and covered up our heads with are army blankets, because we seen a ghost.

Thank goodness our brave troops in the armed forces serving all over the world are not one of these poster. They are screened and have to pass several tests before they are accepted into our U. S. Troops of today.

But one of the questions on the test is what happen when you visited a scary place did you stand up and act "Humanbeing" or did did you run to nearest computer and get on the internet and post on the bulletin board what happened when you and your friends seen all these ghosts right here in the city limits of their home town. "Our $$$ worth".

Johnnie & Sheila