PDA

View Full Version : Gold King Mine; Hualapai Mansion

Ghostdancer
04-24-2006, 05:44 AM
I was at the Gold King Mine back in April of 1992. We had easy access to it, but do I understand that it is now posted against tresspassing?

The mansion is the largest and most imposing structure that I've seen at any completely deserted site. I wonder what condition it is in now?

Be a creepy place to visit at night.

Tom

brian10x
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
[quote=Ghostdancer]I was at the Gold King Mine back in April of 1992. We had easy access to it, but do I understand that it is now posted against tresspassing?

The mansion is the largest and most imposing structure that I've seen at any completely deserted site. I wonder what condition it is in now?

Be a creepy place to visit at night.[quote]

Where is this mansion? Do you know where there are any pictures of it? Please share more of what you know. It sounds really interesting.

Ghostdancer
04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
[quote=Ghostdancer]I was at the Gold King Mine back in April of 1992. We had easy access to it, but do I understand that it is now posted against tresspassing?

Be a creepy place to visit at night.[quote]

Where is this mansion? Do you know where there are any pictures of it? Please share more of what you know. It sounds really interesting.

Pictures? right here. (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/hualapaismansion.html)

One of them mine. It is located off of highway 93 which exits from I-40 east of Kingman going south. Not sure of the exact distance from the exit.

Would recommend the USGS topo Dean Peak which covers this area. The location on the map is marked as The Gold King Mine.

Tom

brian10x
04-25-2006, 04:14 AM
[quote=brian10x][quote=Ghostdancer]I was at the Gold King Mine back in April of 1992. We had easy access to it, but do I understand that it is now posted against tresspassing?

Be a creepy place to visit at night.

Pictures? right here. (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/hualapaismansion.html)

One of them mine. It is located off of highway 93 which exits from I-40 east of Kingman going south. Not sure of the exact distance from the exit.

Would recommend the USGS topo Dean Peak which covers this area. The location on the map is marked as The Gold King Mine.

Tom
That is one creepy looking place! I'm putting on my list of places to see!

EVPS1
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Was wondering if there was any contact info for this place? It's been on our list of places to visit as well.
Looks like a great old house.
Thanx

HogFanRN
03-22-2009, 09:23 AM
I am interested in finding any information anyone may have on The Gold King Mine. We have been looking through some old paper work that my grandparents had and they talked about owning the Gold King Mine in the 1920's. My mom remembers them talking about it, but never paid close attention, but has become interested in now. So if anyone knows any information on the mine from the early 20's I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for any information!

Ghostdancer
03-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I am interested in finding any information anyone may have on The Gold King Mine. We have been looking through some old paper work that my grandparents had and they talked about owning the Gold King Mine in the 1920's. My mom remembers them talking about it, but never paid close attention, but has become interested in now. So if anyone knows any information on the mine from the early 20's I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for any information!

HogFan, here's an article from Arizona Highways. This place is also known as Hualapais Mansion for the remain of the large mansion where the owners lived and it's quite impressive.

Abandoned Mansion in the Hualapai Mountains (http://www.arizonahighways.com/static/index.cfm?contentID=1145)

JEC
12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
I visited the Gold King Mine with my parents in the mid 1970s. I remember that it seemed like really nobody had been there for many, many years as there wasn't any trash or signs of vandalism. I'd sure like to think it is still in that condition. I'm visiting my parents this weekend and I'll see if they have any pictures from that trip.

lthornton
03-27-2010, 09:25 AM
I visited the Gold King Mine with my parents in the mid 1970s. I remember that it seemed like really nobody had been there for many, many years as there wasn't any trash or signs of vandalism. I'd sure like to think it is still in that condition. I'm visiting my parents this weekend and I'll see if they have any pictures from that trip.

JEC, I live just a little ways from the mansion and unfortunately a few years ago some kids did vandalize and spray paint all over the main living room, above the fireplace and such. Would love to string those punks up.
-Larry

Pracer
05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I just went there yesterday! I have heard of it and tried to find it 20 years ago when I first moved to Kingman. Now that I have moved back and thanks to modern technology, we drove almost all the way from the North West side heading towards 93. We had to hike in the last mile or two, but bikes and quads still have little to no trouble and can go thru to the Hualapai Park.
There is the standard name or three carved on some wood. There are a few spray painted area's but not total destruction. There is a guest book to sign for the county like some other places of interest. Hardly any trash even on the trail and road up. I would make the trip again, this time from the other side and take the mountain tail in.
I hope to find some real information on tis place and post it soon.

Azdreaming
11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
WE were at the Gold King mansion on Sat. 11/3/2012. It is a shell now. You can go in but it is empty. The road in is :HORRIBLE" to say the least. We used a Razor(atv) and it very hard on it. Maybe a jeep might make it but there are a lot of rocks to go over. It is a 2 mile walk from DWRanch road. Can't give specfic directions as we were with a group who knew the way.

matt@expaz
11-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Can you post pictures from the trip? Sounds like a great place to visit!

WE were at the Gold King mansion on Sat. 11/3/2012. It is a shell now. You can go in but it is empty. The road in is :HORRIBLE" to say the least. We used a Razor(atv) and it very hard on it. Maybe a jeep might make it but there are a lot of rocks to go over. It is a 2 mile walk from DWRanch road. Can't give specfic directions as we were with a group who knew the way.