PDA

View Full Version : Julian, California

Ghostdancer
04-24-2006, 05:55 AM
I plan on traveling to San Diego in August and would like to visit Julian on my return trip. Are there any other areas worth seeing in the vicinity?

I meant to do so when I was in SD two years ago, but blew it off.

Tom

45-70Ranger
05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I plan on traveling to San Diego in August and would like to visit Julian on my return trip. Are there any other areas worth seeing in the vicinity?

I meant to do so when I was in SD two years ago, but blew it off.

Tom
Hiya !
The last time I was in Julian, was in the 70's. There were some mining exhibits, and "pan for gold !". Not much different than Columbia,north of Sonora,CA.
I don't know what has changed.Been so long.
But, just try Julian, anyway.
There's the "Wild Animal Park", ran by the San Diego Zoo in San Pasqual Valley.Between Escondido and Ramona.
People say it's in San Diego. Wrong: it's closer to Escondido.But in San Diego County.
Escondido has changed so much, I don't care to go back and visit.Lived there some 28 years.
I just want out of Kaleefornia.

Flatiron
05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
45-70Ranger.................It's sounds like you're a pretty upstanding guy, and I understand you're desire to hightail it out of Mexifornia. I can't speak for all my fellow Arizonans, but I think you'd be welcome in the Grand Canyon State. Being a Winchester collector, I also think I know the meaning of your screen name.Bang! Bang!. Take care,,,,,,,,,,

45-70Ranger
05-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Hiya Flatiron !
Thank you ! You are the 3rd person to invite me to move to AZ.
Would like to find some cheap property. In June, I can sign up for my retirement.And let the retirement
pay for the property.
Yeah, what's worse, my relatives are the Kennedy's;John F.,JohnJr,Edward (Ted), and of course,Maria Owings Shriver.
I'm on the opposite end.
Yes, the 45-70 I do shoot.My Winchester is a 44 mag,lever action.
I just had to have one. About 7/8 years ago,I bought it.Nothing but pleasure.About those 320Gr JDJ's....
Primarily use handguns.454 F.A.Casull,and 44 mags.Will bring home next week, an Uberti 45 Colt.I do reloading.
Done some experimentation on the 320gr JDJ,44 mag.Some, were "don't think about it".
Was in Tombstone last year.My G/F
liked it ! Was my 2nd visit in about 47-48 years.
I took along nearly all my guns.Was told by Cherokee Jack, to
"load up",if we were going on the backtrails. Smugglers of people and drugs.Yeah, ranchrescue.com, keeps me informed.Watch for more, and even more serious incidents along the border.I know, we're OT about Julian ! Oh well. I haven't gone to any high school reunions.They're held around Escondido.I went to Orange Glen High.
Held in June. Can't go:getting the cannery (canneries) to run in July.
You might check out my post in "Dangerous Ghost towns". Not paranoid,but,Murphy's law is in effect 24-7-365.Never know what can happen.
So, thanks again.Do a PM or what ever you like.
You sound like a friend that I'd rather have around ! Can't say that about my cousins.....
See ya !

brian10x
05-04-2006, 04:27 AM
45-70Ranger.................It's sounds like you're a pretty upstanding guy, and I understand you're desire to hightail it out of Mexifornia. I can't speak for all my fellow Arizonans, but I think you'd be welcome in the Grand Canyon State. Being a Winchester collector, I also think I know the meaning of your screen name.Bang! Bang!. Take care,,,,,,,,,,
I'm not a Winchester collector, but I know what 45-70 refers to.If you can guess what 10x stands for, you know I also welcome him to the great state of Arizona.:D

45-70Ranger
05-04-2006, 05:24 PM
:D Thanks guys.
I also do goldpanning.
OK, I'll think harder about Arizona;) .

brian10x
05-04-2006, 07:06 PM
10X? Hmmm... I assumed that was a reference to your Stetson. MIne's a 4X.
TW :D

Yep, get outa' Kalifruitty, C'mon dwn to AZ where citizens are armed & polite.

It refers the the center bullseye of a competiton silloutte I like to put holes into. Just harmless paper punching...:cool:

45-70Ranger
05-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Hiya guys.
Been over to "True West Magazine" forums. The moderator(s) have a gun forum now.
So, if ya want, come on over.
Lots of interesting stuff. Few ghost towns chat. Still, nice place to go to.
Have one about our Tombstone visit
last year.

Flatiron
05-05-2006, 04:01 AM
Hey brian10x..........That wasn't you zipping around downtown Benson in that yeller bug of your's last weekend, was it?.............:eek:

brian10x
05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey brian10x..........That wasn't you zipping around downtown Benson in that yeller bug of your's last weekend, was it?.............:eek:
Nah, last weekend it was motorcycle weekend. (Too many hobbies):cool:

Ghostdancer
08-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Were parts of Julian destroyed by a fire a few years ago?

LauraA
08-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Yes, there was a terrible fire back in 2003, matter of fact, there was a firefighter killed in the inferno.

We haven't been back to Julian since the fire, last time we were there, we went just for the apple pies at Mom's Pies, they're delicious!

Tourists absent in Julian as residents return North County Times - North San Diego and Southwest Riverside County News - NCTi... (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2003/11/02/news/top_stories/11_1_0322_28_55.txt)

CNN.com - Firefighter killed in raging wildfires - Oct. 29, 2003 (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/29/california.wildfire/index.html)

bad bob
08-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Laura
Drifter's still lookin' for his keys.
Be a good "granny", put your gun away, and let him have his keys back.
Mr Bush said if I can negotiate this, he'll let me give Hezbollah
a whirl! BTW I guess I'll have to learn how to bowl too.
bb.

LauraA
08-02-2006, 04:15 PM
What Mr Bush REALLY said is that if you want to negotiate a Middle East peace, you'll have to learn to play the piano as good as Condi Rice, look as classy in a dress and say "Yes Sir" as good as she does. Can you fill the bill?
:p

(I lost Drifter's keys..Shhhh, don't tell anyone)

bad bob
08-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Well I can play a guitar, and say "yes" as good, but as for the dress... you remember the picture of the bearded gent in the pink tutu?
A similar picture would thus be produced. This in turn would require one's eyes to be gouged out, (or use of the memory eraser from MIB). Such an image would be too hideous to just live with.
bb.