PDA

View Full Version : Second attempt to find the elusive BD

brian10x
05-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, the good news (depending on your perspective) is that I'm alive.

The bad news is, I tried again to find the elusive Black Diamond mine, and failed again.

This time, I tried locating the mine using notes from Kurt Wenner, who took the photos you see on this web site.

I never did see the clues at his mile markers, possibly due to odometer error, or most likely I started tracking at a different place than he did.

He said to stay on Middlemarch pass for about 6 miles out of Pearce, which I measured and tried twice.

(His notes say not to take the sign for Black Diamond road, but I've never seen one, and I've been on that road a total of 4 times in 6 years)

Then he states the road will make a sharp turn West, but to continue South. I think this is where my mistake was.

I thought he might be referring to the sign for Middlemarch canyon (even though it went the wrong direction) so I explored it for a while. Pictures # 64 and 65 show the remants of some other mine I found. # 71 shows adead end I encountered which was a lot more dangerous than the picture reveals. The ole' VW was slippin' and slidin' trying to climb the narrow trail, and when I finally got to the dead end, it wasn't wide enough, between the side of the mountain and the cliff, to turn around. Well, lets just say the VW ran pretty good with dirt and rocks falling on the engine. Thank goodness for a short wheelbase.

Anyway, back on the main trail, the next clue I got was a sign noting a dead end to the right, so I kept going. By this time, my mileage was hopelessly inaccurate, so I just kept my eyes peeled, and my speed low to look for clues.

Then Kurt said I would see acouple of windmills-I saw one little one on my left, but never a second.

I was supposed to look for a large slag pile 2.4 miles past the second windmill, past the second gate (cattle crossing?) .

That was were the town was supposed to be. There was supposed to be a sign identifying the town.

I swear, I made several passes throught the area, but never saw any signs or any large slag pile. Of course everyone looks at things slightly differently.

So, anyway, if anyone reading this knows where I went wrong (I'm emailing this to Kurt also) please let me know. I'm offering a huge reward.:confused:

Brian

Flatiron
05-08-2006, 04:09 AM
brain10x.................You've really peeked my interest now. Maybe we should assemble a caravan of off-roaders and GT nuts, and make an all-out assault on Black Diamond. I 'll keep watching to see where your adventures take you. Giving up is not an option, though......................:cool:

brian10x
05-08-2006, 04:22 AM
brain10x.................You've really peeked my interest now. Maybe we should assemble a caravan of off-roaders and GT nuts, and make an all-out assault on Black Diamond. I 'll keep watching to see where your adventures take you. Giving up is not an option, though......................:cool:
Flatiron,
I'll tell ya what. I'd be willing to give up my status as solo adventurer, at least on one trip. to find this place.

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic if there weren't so many cool things left standing.

Here is the text of Kurt Werner's email to me when I asked him for help finding the mine:

How to get to the Black Diamond Mine:
Take the Middlemarch Pass Road (also signed
as Cedar Street) heading west out of Pearce for
about 6 miles (5.9 - 6.1 depending on your odometer).
(Do NOT take the road marked Black Diamond Mine Road!)
When that road, which is now identified as FS 345 makes
a sharp right turn (west), continue straight ahead (south);
this road is markedly worse in quality, and I would recommend
4-wheel drive (especially later on your trip). Continue southwards
past a couple of windmills; just past the second one, the track
(i.e., it's not really a 'road' anymore) for another 5 miles (4.9-5.1).
At 2.4 miles past the second gate, you will see a large slag
heap on your right, which is where the town was. There are
some foundations and walls in the general area, and in the
brush near the track there is (was?) a FS sign identifying the
townsite (which was demolished in 1907). If you continue on the
tracjk for another 1.7 mi, you will see the almost complete aerial
tramway remnants (which were used to bring the ore down);
another 0.8 miles will get you to the point-of-origin of the
tramway, the main 'glory-hole', etc., etc.
Now it's your turn to do me a favor: there is supposed
to be a small cemetery in the vicinity of the townsite. I hiked
all over, i.e., southwards, westwards, and northwards, at
least for a short distance (quarter-mile or so), and never
found it. If you explore further in the area than I did, and you
find it, PLEASE let me know, and, if possible, give me a
GPS reading for its location.

First of all, I've been on that road many times, and there ain't no **** sign! (Am I going the wrong way again?)

After studying my topos for most of last night, I came up with another clue. Lemarch road. Seems to go South when Middlemarch goes West.

I'm dead serious about finding this place. If you want to get some other people involved, I'm in.

First dibs on buried loot though!:p

jessmetts
08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I found the same dead end you did...no mine though. I have the feeling I'm missing a road or somthing.

tucson_tumbleweed
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I found the same dead end you did...no mine though. I have the feeling I'm missing a road or somthing.

If I remember correctly (a rarity these days) that asswipe Brian said he found the right trail on Lemarch road, but his access was blocked by a locked gate.

We haven't heard from that pervert in a while. My guess is he broke the lock and went to jail (or worse). Serves him right, I say.