PDA

View Full Version : Lookout California

Blair Jett
05-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I once read about Lookout Calif. in a ghost town book. It`s on top of a mountain west of Death Valley near a couple of mines, I cant remember the mine`s names at the moment, but I believe one of them was or still is owned by the Hearst family ( William Randolf Hearst). I contacted the chamber of commerce in Lone Pine, but they had never heard of Lookout. In recent years I`ve asked a few other people, but no one has ever heard of the town. Anyone know anything?

Dezdan
05-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I know a bit about it the townsite, what do you want to know?

Flatiron
05-08-2006, 04:22 AM
I haven't been there in a few years, but remember the nearby mines being the Modoc and Minietta Mines. The road was/is definitely not for the family min-van, and 4WD is a good idea. There's a few remains to explore, and is a pretty neat spot along Panamint Ridge. Dezdan can probably fill you in on all the details, better than I. I'm not surprised that nobody at the Lone Pine Visitors Center knows about it,though. ............................:eek:

David A. Wright
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Lookout is on a spur of the Argus Range on the western side of Panamint Valley and has a number of stone ruins on the hilltop of the original town. Near the portal of the Modoc Mine adit are remains of a stamp mill.

William Hearst was heavily interested in Lookout.

There's quite a bit of history of the town of Lookout and I wrote an article for THE ALBUM: TIMES AND TALES OF INYO/MONO back in 1990. I don't have that article yet on my website, but will soon have it on my Essay series pages.

A couple of books you might check into are:

SILVER SEEKERS: THEY TAMED CALIFORNIA'S LAST FRONTIER - Nadeau, Remi
GHOST TOWNS & MINING CAMPS OF CALIFORNIA - Nadeau, Remi

Both have info on Lookout, SILVER SEEKERS having a chapter dedicated to Lookout.

I'm surprised yet not surprised that the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce doesn't know, however, if you inquired at the Interagency Center on the south end of Lone Pine, across from the golf course and at the junction of US395 and CA136, Liz Nelson would have been able to give you information.

Dezdan
05-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Near the portal of the Modoc Mine adit are remains of a stamp mill.Are you sure about that David???? The only stampmill I have ever heard about was one at the Minnietta for a short while before it was moved to the Waterman Mill near Calico.

Blair Jett
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Thank you all for the info on Lookout Ca. Since my last post I`ve done some more searching & learned quite a bit more. Unfortunatly, I`ve also learned that Lookout has been the victim of vandals in recent years. THAT ANGERS THE LIVING **** OUT OF ME!!!!! I just dont understand why some people feel the need to commit such acts, especially when it comes to our history & the last remaining artifacts of it!!! I`m new to this site, but I really enjoy it a lot. Sharing information with fellow enthusiests ( did I spell that right?) is great.

David A. Wright
05-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Are you sure about that David???? The only stampmill I have ever heard about was one at the Minnietta for a short while before it was moved to the Waterman Mill near Calico.
Well, stampmill was a poor choice of words on my part. Lookout did have a mill, as pictured below, which had furnaces.

http://www.death-valley.us/modules/dv_gallery/dv_sets/album43/aws.jpg