PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town Placemarks

Dennis
05-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Here are some Towns i found via Google Earth:
Unfortunately some of them are still in Low-Res like many of the remote areas.
Elkhorn is my best find so far.
Even single buildings can be recognized here!
Try it out by yourself, i did use the maps here on ghosttowns and on the ghosttowngallery-page..
Would be great if anybody could post any other placemarks here:D

Neal in Nevada
11-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I can tell you that the placemark for Whiskeytown is not in the correct spot...the original town is underwater (they built Whiskeytown Lake on top of the old town). The only surviving building is the store/post office which was moved north of the town site along the Whisky Creek arm of the lake. I know this because I got my mail for years at Whiskeytown...had the old fashion combination lock boxes facing outside, so you could get your mail 24/7.

Here are some Towns i found via Google Earth:
Unfortunately some of them are still in Low-Res like many of the remote areas.
Elkhorn is my best find so far.
Even single buildings can be recognized here!
Try it out by yourself, i did use the maps here on ghosttowns and on the ghosttowngallery-page..
Would be great if anybody could post any other placemarks here:D

GaryB
11-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I know this because I got my mail for years at Whiskeytown...had the old fashion combination lock boxes facing outside, so you could get your mail 24/7.

The old PO in Caliente, NV had these too. When they built the new PO (IIRC 4 years ago?) they gave the long time residents their original mail box to those that wanted them. The rest are on display in the Lincoln County Museum at the Million Dollar Court House in Pioche, NV.

My Aunt had the same box for 35 years or something like that.

widleewidleewaa
11-13-2006, 06:17 PM
I use Local.live.com it is the same as google earth, but you can get alot closer.

Ive been using it to find Doak, AZ.