PDA

View Full Version : looking for worthwhile ghost towns in Idaho/Mont

Montanatrek
05-21-2006, 02:10 AM
We are going on a road trip in two weeks through Idaho and Montana.

We would like some input on some towns along I-90.

We have a jeep, so getting to an out of the way place shouldn't be too much of a problem (in fact, out of the way would be neat).

We plan on taking pics of old structures, and exploring, and hiking ect!

Thanks

bad bob
05-21-2006, 09:04 AM
First, recommend picking up newest gt guide for that area. Sometimes they're combined, IE: Ghost Towns of Idaho/Montana.

Montana: Several sites concentrated in Southwest, detour off I-90 onto SR1 between Opportunity, and Drummond. Southern Cross was being threatened by developers a few years ago. Further away are Bannack (east of Dillon), and Virginia City (east of Ennis), both worth the effort in my opinion. North of I-90, and NE of Boulder is Elkhorn.

Idaho: North of Wallace, just across Montana border are Gem, Burke, and Murray. Have not heard of their condition lately, but others here likely know.
bb.

Johnnie
05-21-2006, 09:54 AM
We are going on a road trip in two weeks through Idaho and Montana.

We would like some input on some towns along I-90.

We have a jeep, so getting to an out of the way place shouldn't be too much of a problem (in fact, out of the way would be neat).

We plan on taking pics of old structures, and exploring, and hiking ect!

Thanks

Check my posting from this A M I pulled up from the archives my posting from 2 years ago.

Just go to search @ the top of the page and write in 30 ghost town sites in Idaho.

Johnnie & Sheila