PDA

View Full Version : Remote Sites

Ghostdancer
05-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Which is the most remote ghost town and/or historical site you've ever visited?

Tip Top and Total Wreck in Arizona are probably the most remote abandoned sites I've seen; both have really long bad roads for access.

Silver City, Idaho is the most remote preserved site I've been to.

Most remote historic site has to be Skeleton Canyon in Arizona.

Tom

GaryB
05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Remote-
So far Delano, NV for me. It's in the far upper north east end of the state by route of 40 miles of dirt road. Most of it is graded as it's the California Immigrant Trail, but far enough away it gets left alone. Unfortunately I was there after a wild fire destroyed 80% of the buildings, but there were still a few to see and lots of stuff to explore. Even got a chunk of coal for my rock collection :D

Most historic-
Hard to say, been to many, many being in my own back yard.

Most preserved-
Naturally preserved I'd say Sprucemont, NV. With help from man- Virginia City area or Caselton, NV outside Pioche.

bad bob
05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Gary.....
Is route to Delano, US 93 out of Wells, and then 40 miles northeast up the road that parallels thousand springs river or creek? I see Delano Peak on map, and road continues back south to Monticello on sr233. So Delano must be about halfway? Anything historic left worth photoing or mostly scenic? (which is still worth it IMO).
bb.

NWNative
05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Yellowjacket in Idaho. We took a two wheel drive (probably should have been higher clearance) but it seemed to take forever to get there.
It was worth it though with the big hotel and the stamp mill, lots of stuff to see!

Ghostdancer
05-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Yellowjacket in Idaho. We took a two wheel drive (probably should have been higher clearance) but it seemed to take forever to get there.
It was worth it though with the big hotel and the stamp mill, lots of stuff to see!

That's probably why there's a lot left; difficult access. ;)

GaryB
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Gary.....
Is route to Delano, US 93 out of Wells, and then 40 miles northeast up the road that parallels thousand springs river or creek? I see Delano Peak on map, and road continues back south to Monticello on sr233. So Delano must be about halfway? Anything historic left worth photoing or mostly scenic? (which is still worth it IMO).
bb.

Pretty darn close. The turn off is marked for the Wine Cup Ranch and is marked for the Emigrant Trail along the way. You turn off the Emigrant Trail and head to Delano Peak and the remains are on the north side of it. It covers quite a bit of territory and there are some cool old cars/trucks rock crushers, etc. still around. I wouldn't head out there to see just that, but if you were in the area, it is very much worth it. Not so much the town/mine remains, but the history in the area. From the Trail to the mine you pass some pumice looking hoo doo formations that the emigrants carved their names into. There's also some springs along the way, one is marked Emigrant Springs that is supposed to have a couple of emigrant burial markers. Rock Springs was IIRC a horizontal mine that struck water and now feeds the creek.

I was there 3 years ago hunting elk and we tend to GT hunt as well while up there. Didn't know everything that was up there till I got back and did some research. But like the listing on this site says, most of the buildings are gone, but from 2 different fires actually. We were up there 3 years after the last one wiped out more :( If I ever am in the area again, I plan on hitting the stuff I missed.

bad bob
05-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks fer the update Gar.
Actually I'm just as much interested in the emigrant trails as GT s.
bb.

Johnnie
09-02-2006, 07:32 AM

Tip Top and Total Wreck in Arizona are probably the most remote abandoned sites I've seen; both have really long bad roads for access.

Silver City, Idaho is the most remote preserved site I've been to.

Most remote historic site has to be Skeleton Canyon in Arizona.

Tom

We were reading a story, in an old magazine artical about Schwab, located in Echo Canyon as being one of most "remote" old mining town in Death Valley.

The artical also had some great photos that the author took in 1971 of the ghost town and the town seemed to have alot of the buildings still intact, But has anyone been there lately? A lot can vanish in 25 years.

Johnnie & Sheila:)

David A. Wright
09-03-2006, 09:13 PM
We were reading a story, in an old magazine artical about Schwab, located in Echo Canyon as being one of most "remote" old mining town in Death Valley.

The artical also had some great photos that the author took in 1971 of the ghost town and the town seemed to have alot of the buildings still intact, But has anyone been there lately? A lot can vanish in 25 years.

Johnnie & Sheila:)
The 1971 photos with buildings intact were likely the Inyo Mine, which is about a mile from the actual Schwab townsite and is often confused as being part of Schwab.

For photos of the Inyo Mine and the true Schwab townsite, I have a trip report on my website of a trip taken in 2000 to the area HERE. (http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/t2000a.htm)

David A. Wright
09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Probably Cornucopia, northern Elko County, Nevada.

Johnnie
09-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Probably Cornucopia, northern Elko County, Nevada.

Thanks David, for the pictures and that great web-site.

Johnnie & Sheila

salamander
06-02-2007, 08:04 PM
as ihavent been to maney mines that i knew where there lol

valsets or is a long drive on gravel

elkcity can be if you go the back way

bodie in califorina was a PITA in the 05 cobalt

lets see kernvill is easy to get to so id say valsets if you go right up to it wich if you know the correct road can be done the main road has one of the meanest gates i have ever seen