PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas...

ghost_town_huntress
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
My birthday is coming up in 11 days and Grandma's taking my two year old daughter for a few days. I'm wonderin in everyone's opinion where the best, most picturesque ghost towns worth driving to in southern Utah. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

bad bob
05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Happy BDay Rachael.
Three in South Utah are Grafton, nearby Rockville, and Silver Reef just west of I-15 out of Leeds. I'm sure you're familar with all of them. Zion NP is background for first two.
Been a long time since hearing anything of them, but hopefully they have been preserved.
bb.

Bob
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
There a few out of the way sites in Arizona Strip (Barely in Utah) and heading west on a nifty dirt road just south of Mountain Meadows will take you by a couple forgotten mines with run down cabins nearby if you want and a real adventure. Grafton, Rockville, and Silver Reef are easier access and also worth the time.

Bandito
07-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I've driven that road south of Mountain Meadows, some 5 or 6 years back. It has been un-maintained, and is quite treacherous. If you are determined to get to those mines, I humbly suggest dirtbikes. There were places our little jeep almost was off the edge. Its a real shame, cause the sites are well preserved, as well as the Indian Hyroglyphs and what not. The road comes out at the Enterprise Reservoir, about 1 mile west of Enterprise Utah. Great fishing, and camping. I used to dirtbike all OVER that area, so if you want more information, shoot me a letter. I am more than happy to share the personal information I have for the Enterprise/Mountain Meadows area.

*I know, Im Late, but better late than never I suppose*